1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish I could come out irl

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DragonBoys, Jul 15, 2018.

1. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I could come out irl to my workplace so that I'm not constantly misgendered and called she/hers/her all the damn frickin' time. But the problem is...I'm afraid of losing my job or being ostracized by my coworkers if I do come out. Although my job's policy is to not discriminate based on m/f status, veteran status, religion, it doesn't really mention sexual orientation or gender identity outside of m/f. And I got a hunch that they only mean cis-male and cis-female and does not include trans-people. That, and...any one of my coworkers could be trans- or homophobic, yet it's not like they have a mark on their foreheads like a warning sign.

I hate being misgendered and I hate being taken for straight but what else can I do? I can't afford to lose this job or to work in an uncomfortable social setting, yet everytime I'm misgendered, I end up getting angry at myself for it.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People don't really need to know your sexuality/love life to do your job, I presume. But if the topic of relationships does come up, just say "partner" and other gender neutral language to imply to them you like more than the opposite gender.

Just tell yourself you just need to get through the day, get your work done and keep secure/safe.

3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Imagine you're an actor, that you're inside a play or a film. Or that you drank a magic potion to do a secret mission as another gender. It sounds very stupid, but it helped me to detach and feel less dysphoria. Transform it in a game.

4. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I do agree they don't need to know my sexuality and whatnot, but the problem is, I have a problem with being misgendered such as they use the wrong pronouns when addressing or talking about me. In hindsight, it seems like a small problem and it is but it's just a little annoyance to face everyday lol.

But you're right: I'm usually too busy and/or too tired to dwell on little things like that in work lol

5. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LOL I'll just pretend I drank that magical potion in the Harry Potter series that completely turns you into someone/something else lol Thanks!