1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to a gay bathhouse last night, never again!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Macholover, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG, I practically just DIED laughing at your last sentence of it being so bad that you actually contemplated turning straight!

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being in a relationship, I think a bathhouse might have to go on my sexual bucket list. We could just go there together as a couple, and if people there act the way they do in a bar (leave couples alone), hopefully it'd be a good experience.

3. ScatteredEarth

I don't know what's worse.. The fact that now I have some weird ass vision in my head, or that you live like right next to me, and that could also be near me. O_O

4. Aussir

Hmm... hop over to this side of the pond... decent bath houses, spas and saunas.

Over here we don't make as much fuss over skin as in the US... maybe because (except UK and Ireland) we don't care much if someone is naked in one of those places... because IT'S NORMAL.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, just reading that makes me wanna get tested.

6. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are a few here in Edinurgh which funnily enough have just been on the news earlier today because they got raided!

The only two I know of are club 18 and steamworks because they are advertised in the gay clubs here. I know there is a few more though but I dunno what they are called.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a throwback to the eighties! Why are they being raided??

8. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know. I just don't see what the problem is. I mean, condoms are available in every pub/club here so why not the saunas? Seemed silly to me.

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wonder what you were expecting. Hot male with washboard abs? XD

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I thought places like this were more or less a relic of the past, some remnant of the 70s and 80s that had faded away and died when AIDS came though.

They don't sound like much fun.If I went out of morbid curiosity, I'd be sure to wear a wetsuit.

13. method

Though anecdotes are always useful, I'm the type of person who doesn't believe anything until I sees it.

I took the opportunity to visit one of these infamous establishments when I was travelling abroad. Long story short, I'd consider going again to investigate further, should the opportunity arise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(I didn't end up doing anything, but the place was not as unpleasant as in the stories that have been shared so far)

14. Frank Willis

I think that ageism is about as interesting as some of you might be. Not very, no matter what you think you look like. Recall that you will all age. I like older guys and am older myself now. However, I'm such a proud slut that I liked them when I was 15 and older when I was attracting the hottest guys in any group. Older men rock just as much as younger. Your discrimination isn't any different from racism where it isn't about experiencing hot sex. Your conditioned to be morons. Pretty sad. The hottest generation for sex, for the most part out of hundreds of partners (nope, no sex diseases), were those guys born in the 1950. Are you complainers part of the crowd that believes, as most U.S. citizens do that it is fashionable to be fascist, or something? Enlighten me?

15. J9ah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just to throw in a comment, though Ive never been to a bathouse I know at least in cities of Merlbourne and Sydney, Australia, studies show they have better compliance with safe sex than those hooking up in say a nightclub. Both Australian states of NSW and Victoria, have had especially in the 90's very progressive legislation when it came to oniste sex premises which has very good regulatory bodies and stringent health and hygenie practices, not to mention support of city council and local law enforcement....that changes things for the better I think.

16. geminidb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow. So many against the Baths. I love them. This is where I got most of my sexual encounters and still do. I am good looking but 49. Back in the 80s the Baths were so much fun. I had some great experiences and yes there are some people that are older but many younger too. In Europe they are still a big thing. I met my lover of 12 years ago thanks to the baths. The Internet is so lousy. People say they want to meet, then ask so many questions and scare off and nothing happens. Also if you are in person you see if the chemistry is there. Not with the net. You can meet and then be very disappointed. So I do not get this badmouthing of the Baths. I love them as I did in the 1980s. The only thing is when you are older it is harder to get the ones you want. That is part of the Gay World I suppose.

17. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exactly how I remember it to be. Me and my boyfriend decided to go to one in the UK after a drunken night out. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but we soon found out it wasn't such a great plan. We had to pay £20 to get in, so I imagine thats around 33 USD? I could be wrong. But anyway, it was expensive and not really worth it. We spent a maximum of 20 minutes in there before we felt so uncomfortable and made for the exit.

Our final awkward moment of the whole experience is that the 'sauna' as they're called in the UK, was next to a very straight nightclub and with the smoking laws over here, it seemed everyone had proceeded to the smoking area right next to the sauna entrance. So as we left we faced a barrage of abuse and threats from a group of lads before we made a hasty retreat to a taxi back to our hotel.

Overall, neither of us would never go again. Far too risky and neither of us have any desire to be there anyways. However, I'm sure they're enjoyed by plenty of people.

18. Minnie

Weeeeel, being a lezzy, no :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But the last bit about meeting people at uni/college gay clubs... not always the best idea since everyone sleeps with each other :S

19. tscott

Once...and never again...the 7th ring of Hell in Dante's Inferno...there wasn't enough soap to clean myself with afterwards...I didn't want to touch anything in there much less anyone.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How does the expression go?

"Whenever you have sex with someone, you've had sex with everybody they've had sex with."

If a person looks at this exponentially, it could get daunting.

There are people who are not likely to feel comfortable in such an environment, preferring to avoid anything related to "the scene" and look for meaningful connections. Then, there are people for whom combinations like bathhouses, alcohol, and drugs are the order of the day. It seems that the least happy are in the latter category, either from what I've read or who I've talked to.

I also remember what a radio talk show therapist said. It was a serious therapist and a serious program, but it wasn't anybody whose name is memorable. She said:

"When someone touches your body, they've touched your soul."

Indiscriminately letting anyone and everyone into your soul probably isn't a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.