1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was asked to talk to a younger girl who's having a hard time coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Sep 10, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

Hey guys.

I got a facebook message today from the woman who runs our LGBT support group;

I told her,

Was that okay? I love trying to help people out, so I really want to do this, but am I not 'qualified' because I'm not out to my mom? I'm just nervous I'll mess up :/

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The key word in advisor is "advise". You're not telling this person what to do. You're simply offering an open ear, giving another view point, and possibly suggesting some possible courses of action. It's very likely that she may not even be looking for advice. She might simply want to talk to someone who is, or has been, in a similar situation. And you fit that description. :slight_smile:

So definitely, you did right. If she takes you up on the offer, listen. Share similar experiences. And if advice is called for, give it. It's best to advise by saying "You might try doing such-and-such", rather than "What you've gotta do is such-and-such".

And, of course, you can always refer them here. :slight_smile:

Lex