1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I WANT TO MOVE OUT BUT HOW?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FuelsMySong, Jan 27, 2018.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I turned 22 a month ago and I have been wanting to move out since I was 19. However, I don't have a full time job. I work about 2.5 hours a week tutoring for a company, which is not that much money. In my bank account, I usually have around 900-1000 dollars but the cost of living in my area is minimum 500 a month, even with a roommate. So, say if I move out now, I pay 500 dollars for the first month and then in the second moth, my one and only bank account is drained. So, yeah, it would mean I move out for 2 months and then I have to come back home because I ran out of money since I am only making about 200 bucks a month. I get paid every fifth of the month so let's say I move out in February with 900 dollars in the bank, then I pay 500 dollars for the rent for that month which leaves me with 400 dollars. Then, the fifth of March, I get 200 dollars, which would make my 400 dollars, 600 dollars but of course there are other bills like electricity, water, phone, etc. so then I would probably go back to 400 dollars, and by then I won't be able to meet the 500 dollar rent.

I have finished my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology degree recently. I am currently looking for a full time job. I had an interview today and the job they had in mind for me is a temporary position so, eventually, my income will run out if I even get that job to begin with.

My goal basically is to make about 20 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week which adds up to a little over 3 thousand a month and also to have that job for at least a year so I feel more secure. i am also thinking of having at least 5 thousand dollars in the bank before I move out because I heard that's what you're supposed to do.

My parents are ok but they get on my nerve sometimes. They're also really homophobic, not in an abusive way, but I am out to them but they're in denial and think it's a phase. My mom still believes that I am straight even though I came out to her at 16. My dad annoys me sometimes, as well, and just rolls his eyes whenever i talk about anything LGBT related.

So, do any of you have any insights or advice regarding my situation?

Thanks!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand the stress you're under. I don't think it makes sense to move out until you have a pretty significant amount of savings, and a reasonably secure job. Have you considered looking at work at a temp agency? An awful lot of employers hire temps that become full-time employees, and those jobs are generally easier to get.

You can also consider, if the job market isn't good where you live, taking some undesirable work (Starbucks, retail, etc) just simply to get some income and hours. In the current economy, I know a lot of people that have done that.

And in the short term, it may make sense to just avoid conversations with your parents about LGBT-related issues, and deal with that later, once you've moved out.