1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna come out but Im so scared

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Athka, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Athka

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know that i am gay since i was 14.Now couples years later,i wanna come out of the closet.I wanna tell my parents that i am gay and bring my boyfriend home to do things like watching a movie,eating all together etc.But,I am so afraid for my family's reaction but mostly about my father...I dont know what to do...Btw my family is neutral to lgbt..Please help me.

2. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my family, everyone was cool with it, even my semi-conservative father - except my sister. It took her some time to stop being a jerk. What I learned from that experience was, when you commit to coming out to your family, get them all done quickly. Do it in a public or safe place. Have a support system ready. When I came out to my sister, we were living in close quarters. I couldn't escape her negativity. It sucked. When I told my parents the next day, they were there for me.

Also, prepare what you're going to say. Make it short and sweet and calm.

After coming out, if someone starts saying homophobic things or starts asking uncomfortable sex questions or says that you're confused, shut them down and/or get out of there. You don't need to deal with their issues. You can come back another time when they've calmed down.

And always, always have a Plan B if things go south. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. If your family loves you, they'll either be fine from the get-go, or they'll eventually come around.

Good luck!!!

FluffyLightFox, Athka and harryfinn like this.
  3. NallaV

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Comming out is scary! I had some people I could tell and it was so easy, like I was talking about what I ate for lunch. My dad on the other hand I put off telling for a long time, it made me really nervous. I led with " please keep this positive, because that's how I would really appreciate this going." If he is a blunt or negative person like my father. My dad took it pretty well when he knew my feelings could be hurt. I wish you the best of luck and as Penny said, only come out if you feel safe <3

FluffyLightFox likes this.
  4. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can we get a little more info? Is it neutral like you don't really talk about lgbt+ stuff neutral, or neutral like "as long as it's not in my house" neutral?

hand in glove likes this.
  5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Athka,

I would ask what others have asked on this thread: if your family is LGBTQ neutral, is there something/anything besides the normal highly emotional concerns that each of us experience with Coming Out?