1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told someone I have social anxiety and they rejected me as a person

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, Aug 9, 2022.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to an LGBTQ sports group and they have social events. There is one coming up and someone messaged me from the group asking if I was going. I said "I'd like to but it kinda depends on what the old social anxiety is up to on that day!".

That person still hasn't 'seen' the message or replied despite them being active on that platform and responding very quickly usually.

It sucks because they were one of the only people in the group who I felt more comfy chatting with. I can't really ever go back to the group now since I've made an idiot of myself.

I made it my goal to 'come out' as struggling with social anxiety to one person there so maybe everyone would understand me a bit better but I guess they hate me now or think I'm weak, pathetic and not worthy.

That group, although it just caused me feelings of anxiety, was my one and only link to other LGBTQ people, and now it's gone.

2. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why has it gone?

They might not even have read it if they haven't seen it. They may just be busy with some personal things.

And yes you can absolutely go back to the group. You don't need their permission to attend, you're not banned.

Social anxiety is common and their reaction may not be personal at all, they may not even realise what you've said yet. How long has it been since you messaged them?

And if they did reject you because of it, which they may not have done, then that's on them, not you. Social anxiety is nothing to be ashamed of.

Please keep us updated but don't let one incident like this put you off attending the group. You have every right to be part of it.

3. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't give up on the group, whether he saw that or not. Social anxiety is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it is becoming MUCH more common with all the isolation that we, as a society, have been experiencing. I know it is hard, but I also recognise that part of the reason you are feeling the way you describe is that same social anxiety raising its ugly head. The important thing to know is that you did NOT make an idiot of yourself. Trust me, I have seen A LOT of idiots, and what you describe isn't even close. :slight_smile: I don't know you personally, but you seem like a great guy. Keep on with the group and take it at your pace. There is no right or wrong.

Do keep us updated. Have a great day and try to remember not to be hard on yourself.

4. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Cinnamoon and @Isbjorn I feel silly now because the person responded. They just said they were sorry to hear that and hope to see me there and that is fine by me. This week [month, no wait. Year] has been rough and now I'm exhausted from all the anxiety.

I've decided to go and got a lift from someone who is a lot more approachable in the group. Then I'll decide from there whether I carry on attending or not. Even if I just take a temporary break.

Rayland, Cinnamoon and Isbjorn like this.
  5. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't feel silly!

You're doing amazing. The fact you're trying so hard and care so much comes across here, you're definitely making progress. Keep going, but obviously take breaks when you need to.

Unfortunately progress in life is almost always hard and scary. But the more you do things, the easier you'll find things. Within reason of course.

Be kind to yourself though and baby steps are totally okay. Sprinting ahead at full speed isn't always sustainable, but moving forward cautiously, as long as you're moving forward, is such a healthy thing to do.

6. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is great news!

I saw no silliness. You had genuine concern and reached out. That is great, and part of why we are here. To help each other.

Have a great time, and if you need to leave, do, but also recognize your accomplishments of accepting the invite and making plans to go. Icing on the cake to actually go! Enjoy that cake, icing or not. Maybe get some ice cream. I know it is all metaphors, but don't be afraid to push your self a little more at a time and recognize your accomplishments as you go . Mainly, though, HAVE FUN! You deserve this. ❤️

Cinnamoon, lottaotter and Rayland like this.
  7. Lauren V

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should just go back to the group, and maybe, if your social anxiety kicks in, and you feel like you can't... You can always come here, chat with LGBTQ+ strangers. It always makes me feel better to go on here, not think about my anxiety and fear of failure for once.

Talking truely helps, trust me

lottaotter likes this.