1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my parents about changing names...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JustJJx, Sep 16, 2016.

1. JustJJx

So, I finally told my parents I'm planning on changing my name. I didn't mention anything about my gender struggles but i did tell them how much I hated my birth name! Dad was fine, he's always very rational and logical so he understands that it's my decision to make...Mum on the other hand looked like I'd just stabbed a puppy, she went all quiet and hasn't said anything all evening :/ :/

I understand as much as i can that my parents chose my name so they'll be attached to it and such cut i can't handle this lovely extra bit of guilt on top of everything i already feel on a daily basis!!

Anyone got any advice for dealing with this situation? :frowning2: :frowning2:

2. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I've experienced this too. Know that it's your name and you can do what you want with it. Your mom has no control or say with what you do with your name and any problem she has with it is her problem- it isn't your fault and try not to let her guilt you. :slight_smile: stay strong- I hope your mom turns around

3. JustJJx

Thaaaank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear :3
    I know she will eventually, it's just fighting through the meantime which is hard, thank you for your support!

4. AaronV

Have you told them why you hate your birthname in any way? I could imagine that I would feel pretty down as well if my child would tell me that they hate their birthname and I think I would feel better if there was a concrete reason.
    However, you are in no way obligated to come out to your parents, it was just a thought I had.
    From personal experience, my mom went from completely hating my chosen name to defending it like it is my actual birthname. Your mother might just need a bit of time to process everything and it doesn't sound like she's going to hinder you in your action.

5. JustJJx

Aww i see what you mean yeah, It must suck for some parents i guess. Nooo, the only thing I've said is that I've never liked my birth name and that i plan to change it one day!
    I'm sure they'll realize that it'll do me loads of good, one day!