1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might have ruined things forever...my life is such a mess

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by blueskies, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoClue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Checking in, were you able to talk to him tonight?

2. bluesky

Man.. that's some crazy shit!!!

Honestly, you're going to get so many opinions from everyone on here supporting you..but damn, it's that kind of situation that can't be avoided when it involves two dudes. From the looks of it, he's really buried in the closet and I don't think you can push him out of it with anything you say. I'm sure he has feelings for you, there's no doubt about it... but it comes down to the fact that he wants to pursue you or not. The key is time right now.. and as a friend you can only stand to the side and help him through this. It's going to be a tough road for you...because you love him too. It's hard standing to the side when you know the situation and you know what you want to do to fix it, but you can't because the other person hasn't accepted themselves...

I accepted myself since I was in middle school... but even today, I block off a lot of my feelings of guys and when I fall for them. I've pushed away many guys because i wasn't okay with the way they made me feel. I've hurt a lot of them and I've hurt myself too.. No matter how much I loved them, I never accepted the those feelings because I didn't want to "out" myself to them or to anyone. I continuously got mad and lashed. I too, care a lot about what other people think of me and I'm slowly trying to change that. But it's a very difficult process. I'm not saying that your friend is like me, Or say that he won't ever accept himself.. it's just that things like this are really really difficult and it's hard to find a solution to it.

As much as I feel for you, I feel for him also.. that confusion where the mind fights with the heart is not a good thing at all... you see, because he has feelings for you it's going to be tough for you to be the one helping him.

Again, take it slowly don't over think this too much. be simple about it, don't question or push him. Just be there for how long he needs you for...you need to have patience. If you love him enough then you can pull through it. It's up to you too if you decide to stay for this. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out well.

3. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry for going AWOL on you guys, I was busy pretty much all of Tuesday and all of yesterday but here I am!

I did indeed see him yesterday.

I called him on Tuesday, as per NoClue's recommendation, asked him if we were on for tomorrow. He said yes of course and then we ended up talking about his soccer practice and other random stuff for quite a while. He sounded happy. :slight_smile:

So anyways, I met up with him yesterday at that sports bar. We're both such idiots because we thought the world cup qualifiers were going to happen yesterday but it turns out they're on Friday but we ended up staying there anyway. We had dinner and talked about normal stuff. We stayed there for quite a while and we sat pretty close to each other in one of those bar booths that's sort of shaped like a half circle. Anyway, I put my hand on the sofa under the table and after a while he moved his hand next to mine so that our hands were touching. He must have felt it because they were really touching a lot and I didn't want to move my hand because I was afraid of giving him the wrong signals, i.e. that I didn't want our hands to touch. A while later he placed his thumb on top of my hand. We stayed like that and kept on talking like nothing had happened.

Anyways, when we were done eating we decided to take a walk in town and while we walked our hands kept touching and if it'd bothered him, he could easily have moved his hand or not walked as close to me, but he did. Then it got cold and we decided to take the subway. On the train, he complained that he was tired and rested his head against my shoulder for quite a bit of our journey. We got off at the same stop and just stood there talking for the longest time (this is really unusual for us, normally we just say bye and leave) before saying goodbye (no hugs though :frowning2:).

We didn't talk about the things I hoped we'd talk about at all, but I felt like it was never appropriate to bring it up and if we were going to talk about it, I felt like he should be the one to bring it up. I had a great night though and it was so nice to see him again. He invited me to his friend's birthday party on Friday though, so I guess I'll be seeing him then!

I'm going to answer your comments later because I really need to get back to work now. :slight_smile:

4. NoClue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yay! Him being happy and normal is a sign that hes still trying to sort things out but hes still interested. Don't rush things for now and just go with the flow. He'll be more grateful that you did. The touching could be a sign thats hes comfortable with you and thats good too because if sometimes people who question are uncomfortable with touching from the same sex.

I'm happy it went well and you seem really happy. Cant wait for friday! Good luck!

5. scanner007

blueskies,
    Oh my here I am on YOUR thread now. And wow, I wish I'd found it earlier, what a story!

Two young Swedish boys trapped in their emotions by day and lost in each other's arms by night. Will they ever find their way through the maze of their conflicted emotional heartache and meet each other's true desires, thus allowing themselves to relish in the clarity of love which beats in their hearts for one another? ahhh Only time will tell.

So yeah, needless to say, I found your situation rather touching. I have a few thoughts to share on it if you don't mind.
    First of all, I've read pretty much the entire thread and it seems everyone is preoccupied with discussing you/him being gay. Well in my opinion, you're not gay...and neither is he.
    At least not gay per se, neither of you appear to be intrinsically gay. Gay people don't like girls most of their lives and then suddenly like one guy. Gay people usually know all their lives something isn't quite right, even those that get far enough along to marry and have children before they come out, afterwards they usually say something wasn't right and they knew it. (Now granted, you kissed each other and touched each other's penises so by strict definition, you're gay...but in this situation especially ..you need to ignore labels)

What you are experiencing is something different. Love.
    If both of you were raised on a desert island, far away from the conventions of our modern day society, in a place or time where nobody labeled intrinsic male affection as gay, you both would simply be happy together and it wouldn't be anymore complicated than that.
    The feelings you have would be perfectly natural and you would have no trouble freely expressing that love for each other as you've formed a bond, a connection strong enough to where it cannot be properly expressed without allowing a physical manifestation of that love to occur.

Something else I'd like to point out, often times when one is happily in a relationship, sexual desire can wain somewhat for others. I think this is the case with both of you. You're both happy where you're at now, and so its natural you're not feeling any (or lesser) attractions to females (or perhaps males). I think if either of you were faced with a situation where you simply couldn't be together anymore, like if one of you (god forbid) died or moved far away from each other. I think you might find attractions to females returning within 1-3 months. Now of course, this is just a theory of mine, and its not to say one or both of you perhaps might really be gay to some degree, but in your particular case, I really think your desire stems more from a need to further express your affections for one another. (In the end, only you know for sure if you're gay/bi or not)

So how does he feel about you?
    Yes, he loves you. Its painful for him because he's having trouble reconciling being in love with a man. He's always been taught not to be that way and he honestly hasn't felt this for anyone else so strongly, probably male or female. Don't mistake how strongly he feels this for you. The evidence is in that sober kiss, the nervous pacing leading up to it and the crying afterwards. And in how angry at you he got, then suddenly so sad, wanting more from you.

AKTODD was right, by not talking about it, he was able to have sex with you and keep it separated in his mind so that he wouldn't be freaked out so much by the idea. Once you told him your feelings though, it made it very real for him and he was forced to face his own feelings.
    Honestly, if things had gone perfectly, that night he kissed you sober, you'd have never let him leave that night even if you had to pin him to the ground. Which is probably what you should've done, exactly that and just held him, not saying anything but letting your actions of holding him and not letting him go speak for itself, it would've been all that was needed and would've saved him (and you) a lot of days of grief.

In my opinion, space is really the last thing you should be giving him unless he specifically asks for it, and even then if he does say that I'd tell him that you miss him so much that you hope he's not gone for long. I think space could damage your relationship, he might decide the pain of not having you around is better than feeling the pain of being gay. And as a fellow member of the human condition, I don't think it'd be completely wrong of you to be a little selfish and want your relationship with him to continue. If somehow he decides later that he's better off without you, your relationship at least deserves a chance. You need to be close to him for things to get better. You need to show some trust and open up, be emotionally vulnerable to him.
    Now of course pressure .. no.
    But if you love him, you need to be there for him. Which minimum right now, at least means hanging out, having some fun, and getting things "back to normal". Which from your last post look like you're well on your way to doing just that.

[
    Basically all he's saying here is that he can see you being gay somewhat easily, but seeing himself gay is very confusing because he's never even considered it before or felt anything like this for another man. "He can't be Gay"
    It might not be the best analogy, but okay imagine yourself being a bank robber. You might've imagined robbing a bank before, and when it came down to the nitty gritty of it, you realized you couldn't do it, its just not you. You couldn't shot someone for money if you had to, spend time in prison, break the law, etc. Now imagine tomorrow FOR REAL you walk into a bank, pull out a gun and hold up a bank...whats the first thing you'd think? "But I can't be a bank robber!"
    So thats why he says He can't be gay ...its too surreal, kinda amazes and horrifies him at the same time because he's imagined being gay before and realized it just wasn't him, and now suddenly He's doing some very gay things. And likewise, its easier for him to imagine you being gay because he knows you well, but he doesn't know your thoughts, he doesn't know that it scares you as well. (very important you tell him)

So yeah, I think the next time you're having a conversation on this subject, you should be sure and tell him exactly what you put in your post here,
    I think its very important for the growth of your relationship with him that the next time you are having a deep discussion with him that you say everything to him in all of those quotes and even if you said one of them before, reiterate it and combine it so you say it all at once.
    He needs to know how long it took for your feelings to develop for him.
    He needs to know how you felt when you first kissed him. And yes, you actually need to say, "The first time I kissed you, I knew it was right because it felt a thousand times better than it did with any girl"
    He needs to know the during the past couple months your feelings have grown stronger, you need to say, "during the past couple of months, my feelings for you have gotten much stronger, I knew it was more than a crush, I began to love you (yes say love)" ..and he needs to know how before you'd always considered yourself straight and how much it scares you to be openly gay. (that last part is especially important as he can relate better to you if he knows you're feeling the same as him)
    This is what I mean when I say you need to be emotionally vulnerable to him. He's been your friend for what seven years you said? So yeah, if you are feeling all of this, try not to be a chicken shit, you need to tell him, for his sake as much as yours. You can lay to rest a lot of his fears and really help him by telling him these things, especially if he can relate to what you're saying because he might be feeling much the same way.
    But do tell him that you love him, and emphasize that by telling him all this that you don't expect anything in return or that you want anything he's not willing to give, that you just wanted to lay it out there and talk to him about how you felt.

(and yeah I'm not saying, do all this the next time you see him, I read in your last post you guys just did some normal fun hangout stuff, thats good, it kinda heals things up, but work it in when you guys are alone some night, having a deep, long talk)

I know thats not the easiest thing in the world. A lot easier to give that advice that to actually do it. But you started this journey with him. You started the sexual encounters. You moved forward and by expressing your feelings to him and wanting more from him you opened an emotional chasm in him. Now you need to see it through. Be there for him. He's scared and confused. Don't let him go through this alone, he needs you.

Hmmm, well I better get back over to NoClue's thread and see how he's doing. I don't wanna upstage AKTODD here, from what I've read he's done a great job of giving you advice here. Just thought I'd add my two cents. I hope things work out well for both of you.
    GOOD LUCK

6. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry for going AWOL, again. I think work is officially trying to kill me.

Bluesky:
    Yeah it’s really tough but I’m so willing to wait. I’d honestly do anything in my power to help him, as cheesy as that may sound.

I’m so thankful for your input, I think you get him a bit better than I do. Not going to lie, my first thought upon discovering that I had feelings for him was to push those feelings away but somewhere along the way I realized I didn’t want to. Not really anyway. As frightened as I were, I knew what I felt for him was real and that’s when I stopped fighting my feelings.

Oh I definitely feel for him too! I do come off as a bit selfish in this thread, I know but I definitely feel for him. I do agree that it’s sort of a tricky situation since I have feelings for him and I’m supposed to help him.

I’m gonna be as patient as I can. :slight_smile:

NoClue:
    I was so happy when he touched me because he’s not a very touch-y kind of person to be honest and I figured (wishful thinking maybe) that I must mean something to him because otherwise he would never have done it. Definitely going to try to go with the flow!

I am happy! It’s so nice just seeing him again and doing normal things. In the middle of this, I seem to have forgotten that he’s also my best friend and how much he means to me on a friendship kind of level. Thanks, I can’t wait either!

Scanner:
    I'm so glad you found my thread! Your thoughts are brilliant and you certainly do have a way with words.

lol thanks for making me laugh, I really needed that!

Ignoring labels is difficult but that's what I'm trying to do now. I don't believe he's intrinsically gay but I have no idea what I am. I mean, I've found girls pretty before but I've started to question whether I've ever been sexually attracted to one. The few times I've tried (and failed) to have sex with a girl, I couldn't get an erection. Let's just say that when I've been with this guy, that's never been a problem.

What you said about love is really beautiful :slight_smile:

I think this is so spot on.

The more I think about this, the more I believe that is the case too. At first, I didn't feel any sexual attraction to him at all (or it might be that I did, but that I pushed those thoughts away because they scared me but I don't think I did); I just wanted to be close to him and hug him, kiss him etc. And then when I'd accepted those feelings, I began to develop a sexual attraction for him too. Now it's like I don't think I've ever been this sexually attracted to someone before but then again I've never had romantic feelings this strong for anyone either, so. That makes sense.

It's so reassuring to hear that he likes me. :slight_smile: I wish I'd made him stay that night too. I really wish I did.

Yeah I got a bit doubtful when I kept hearing that I should give him space. I definitely think I should be there for him but it's important that I'm there for him as a friend and don't get too clingy so that he won't feel like I'm suffocating him. Yeah we decided when I last spoke to him that we're going to hang out more that we have these last few weeks.

I really think I need to tell him exactly what you think I should say, I haven't really talked much about how I feel when I've discussed these things with him but I think it's time for me to do so. I think I should tell him how scared I was - and how scared I am still - and that I love him. And yes, I'm so going to use that word. I'm also going to tell him how long I've been in love with him and how I came to terms with it. I am going to tell him that I just want him to know this but that I don't expect anything in return and that I don't want anything he's not willing to give. That his feelings should come first but if he likes me, he should know how I feel just in case.

I'll be seeing him tonight but we probably won't be talking anything then but I'll ask him to come over to my place tomorrow because I really want to hang out with him and I also feel like we should talk now (if he's ready for it).

7. AKTodd

Given the way he was touching you, I think he's probably working through his feelings and experimenting (for lack of a better word) with letting himself act a bit on his feelings toward you while also being very discreet (since I suspect that the idea of being seen being affectionate with another guy (holding hands) is way beyond his comfort zone right now). He's sort of getting a sense of what a relationship would feel like with you (at least as he conceives of such a thing at this point).

Given that you've said several times that he's not usually very demonstrative, this sort of thing is probably a big deal for him and should be (gently and discreetly if in public) encouraged. You might sort of return the favor when appropriate, either as he did or when you're alone together. Touching hands, or letting your legs/knees touch (maybe with a little pressure) can mean a lot.

As to whether he likes you or not: Dude, by your own admission he repeatedly traveled an hour across town to have sex with you and sleep in your bed with you cuddled up to him. When pressed he KISSED you sober (which from what you've said is a HUGELY demonstrative act for him on general principles, let alone with a guy) when a hug probably would have been taken just as well by you. I don't think he did all that because you make such a great cup of morning coffee:wink:

Yes, he's also dealing with the whole 'But I can't be gay!' thing and that's going to take some time. But his recent actions say to me that he's at least partly easing into the idea of letting himself act on his feelings toward you, regardless of whether or not he's resolved the 'am I or aren't I' thing in his head.

As far as telling him how you feel - you need to use your own best judgement on that. I think you can eventually, but the moment should feel right, not something you must do. You might spend some time being gently demonstrative with him and work up to it and/or tell him how you feel more gently at first and then work up to it. Maybe gauge his feelings as well in that moment and move forward if it feels like the right time. As you say, be a friend but if things start easing toward being more intimate than that's OK to.

Hope this helps,

Todd

8. kumawool

Hey, I hope things worked out well. I guess it's been a few days, so it's more or less a waiting game to see what he says...

A few things: While you're "confused", adopting the philosophy of "I will fall in love with whoever I fall in love with" might make things less confusing for you.

In addition, confronting this guy was the best thing you could have done --- there's been awkward tension between both of you, and his brought the power to define the relationship to the surface. This prevents you from being used (and please don't accept being FWB), and you get to decide what happens now.

Good luck.

9. kumawool

Oh wow, I'm such a noob, I didn't click the next page button before writing my post and wrote a basically useless response, sorry >_<

10. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So yesterday happened and I'm torn between being so angry with him and being so angry with myself. :/

I went to that party but not together with him. He went with a couple of guys from work and I decided to go with a girl I'm really close friends with (I dated her for a while in high school but now we're just friends). For the sake of simplicity, let's call this girl Maria.

I didn't see him for quite a while when I got there and hung out with Maria and a couple of people I went to high school with. When me and Maria were alone, she asked me if something had happened between me and the guy I'm into because "you're normally inseparable but now I haven't seen you together in ages" (she doesn't know anything that's happened and she doesn't know I like him). I told her nothing's happened and changed the subject but she kept trying to talk about him all the time, which was very annoying.

Anyway, some time passed and I got to talk to him, and his friends, meaning we didn't get to talk about anything other than just normal everyday stuff, which was nice too but I left the conversation after just a couple of minutes because I can't stand his friends. He seemed really happy and just normal and he was a bit drunk but not *that* wasted. I ran into his childhood best friend, who I've gotten pretty close to and talked to him for a while before going back to Maria.

Anyways while I was talking to Maria I saw him dance with a girl. Pretty much everyone knows she's been into him forever and that really annoyed me. She kept grinding against him and putting her hands everywhere and that annoyed me. To be fair to him, he didn't touch her that much. And then she kissed him. He almost immediately pushed her away though and when that'd had happened, he looked up and saw me. Seeing him kiss her hurt me so much and also made me really angry.

When that had happened, he walked outside and I decided to follow him. I walked up next to him and made him stay and talk to me. I was fuming, pretty much and he was really hysteric and almost in tears and kept apologizing that it hadn't meant anything to him and that she had initiated everything and that he'd wanted none of that to happen. I was really angry with him, but more so with her and I guess a part of me understood that it wasn't his fault, but still why the hell would he dance with someone he must have known likes him?

Anyways, he kept apologizing and I wasn't really as forgiving as I wish I'd been :/ I was still pretty angry with him when we said goodbye but I still agreed to meet him on Saturday night (his suggestion). So he's coming over here tonight.

After he'd gone, he texted me how sorry he was and how that he wished it'd never happened.

After that had happened, I felt like going home too so I went inside and told Maria and she decided to leave too. While on the subway she asked me if I like the girl he was dancing with/kissed by and I was like of course not. Then she was quiet for a while and then she asked me if I liked him and I was like no of course not, he's my best friend (I panicked) but she looked like she didn't believe me and now I'm afraid she knows :/

Ugh so last night was pretty bad and I know I messed up massively and I think I overreacted but yeah, I'll be seeing him tonight so I'm going to apologize then. And we'll talk then because I think we need it.

#50 blueskies, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  11. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    AKTodd

I have no idea why he touched me in public. I'm sort of not comfortable with it yet, because I don't want anyone to know yet. But the subway carriage was pretty much empty when he did it which might explain why. I really appreciate it when he touches me, even in public (or even more so, since it must be even harder for him!). He wasn't big on PDA when he was with his former GF either, so I guess it's just not his thing. And I remember his GF complaining that he rarely touched her.

Hahahaha, I'm just having a hard time believing he actually likes me back, you know?

I'm definitely going to ease him into it. If he mentions how hard it is for him, I'm going to tell him what I've gone through and that it's still sort of scary for me because I think that's something he can identify with. I don't want to move too fast but I think he needs to know.

kumawool:

Thanks for your input!

I'm definitely not going to be FWB with this guy, or with anyone else.

12. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey
    Just reading over what's been happening
    I don't think it was his fault, and if he pushed away immediately when she kissed him it means he was definitely being loyal to you (this is yet another sign that he really cares about you). I wouldn't be too worried about your friend knowing. Just tell her it's nothing until you're ready to tell people.

Be nice to him when you see him tonight :slight_smile: Remember that he's still confused
    Keep us posted (this is so cute :grin:)

13. AKTodd

Actually, I was mainly thinking of the bit where he touched your hand under the table, but the subway part is nice too. He didn't have to do either of those things, but chose to nevertheless. And you mentioned that he kept touching you when you were walking even though he didn't have to. Given that he's apparently not a touchy person, and that he's still working through his feelings for you, this sort of thing gets extra weight in my book. He could as readily gone the other direction and kept your entire interaction strictly platonic. He chose not to:slight_smile:

If he didn't like you back he wouldn't be behaving as he is. The trick is to get him (and you to a lesser degree) to understand that it's OK for you to like it each and that there's nothing wrong with it or with other people knowing about it.

As far as letting him know how you feel, reading your earlier post, I think he's got some idea of that. More on that in a separate post.

Todd:slight_smile:

14. AKTodd

Hmm. Ok, various thoughts here:

First, welcome to this feeling called jealousy. It really is a monster. Rather more seriously, you need to cut him a lot of slack here. While I totally understand you being jealous, I would point out that neither of you seems to have a good idea yet of just how to manage your relationship (or even if you have a relationship yet). If you didn't have this thing going on between you he might have been thrilled that this woman was dancing with him and coming on to him. He's been dating women up until you after all and old habits die hard. Also, unless Sweden is rather a lot different from the US, a guy's first reaction to a woman kissing him is probably not to punch her. So what should he have done? More importantly how was he supposed to know what he 'should have done'? You're both kind of confused and up in the air right now and a certain amount of understanding and working through things is going to be needed on both sides. For proof of this I would refer you back to your own interactions with your female friend. Not exactly the most smooth and cool bit of acting you've ever pulled of, was it?

He obviously felt bad about it afterward and isn't happy that he hurt you. Give him full credit for that and understand he didn't mean to hurt you.

Second, you need to use this as a starting point for conversation, not only about how you both feel, but also about how to move forward. Whether that means that you both figure out some workable responses to these sorts of situations while keeping your relationship a secret from all your friends or coming out as a couple (of whatever orientation or no orientation) or something in between. Basically, you need to communicate and you need to work things out and you most especially need to treat this as something you are in together and need to support each other through as you work through it.

In this particular case, it seems that a topic of discussion needs to be how you both deal with parties and other mutual and major social events around people who don't know you are together (if/when you both reach the point where you are comfortable being openly together, much of this issue goes away - even more as you become comfortable with each other and build mutual trust).

Third, there is the issue of your friend Maria - it sounds like she suspects you are more than friends. Whether that is just a spur of the moment judgement on her part or you have simply been much more obvious about your feelings toward him than you think, or even if she's suspected you might be into guys far longer than you have really isn't known as this point. But you need to calm down and figure out how to address this. Whether that means you and your guy getting better at acting 'normal' around her and your circle of friends (at least for now) or letting her into your confidence (which he needs to agree to as well, I think - he's part of this as well) if you feel you safely can is going to be something you need to work out.

Fourth, I've been thinking about sharing these links with you for a few days now. This seems as good a time as any:

a) These two threads:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...84180-please-help-me-i-dont-know-what-do.html

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/86779-came-out-my-brother-first-person-ever.html

Are both by the same guy - the second kind of slots in near the end of the first. They touch on issues of jealousy a bit, and being closeted, and some downsides of that (but it is heading in a good direction by the end). Also on guys who don't fit the stereotype and only have feelings for each other, not guys in general.

b) This thread:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/92302-what.html

touches a bit on a guy who's pretty accepting of being bi but ends up developing feelings for another when that was really not what he expected in life. Also some concerns around coming out to friends. Again, has a nice ending.

c) These threads

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/96608-i-asked-my-roommate-if-hes-gay.html

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/54964-my-story.html

are still ongoing (but much slower these days) and touch on lots of issues, particularly only having feelings for a particular guy, coming to terms with that, and working together to build a relationship while feeling your way in this very new territory.

Both are rather long (I doubt you can read all these threads before tonight, but try to find time in the near future), but also good reads and seem to help a lot of people.

While none of these perfectly match your situation, I'm hoping you'll find bits that you can relate to or find helpful, if for no other reason than to see that you're not the only one to ever go through something like this.

Finally, (and most importantly) when you see him tonight give him a big hug and apologize to him (I'm guessing/hoping he'll hug back and apologize again). Use this event as an opportunity to discuss your situation and feelings for each other and to figure out how to move forward. He's probably still working through stuff (so are you even if you started sooner than he did) and you need to support each other in this.

Be honest with him about how you feel (which I think you were planning anyway) and try to take the approach of 'how do we make this work for both of us?' rather than 'Oh God, what do we do, why did this have to happen?'.

Hopefully, this will be something you both can laugh over together 20yrs from now. Perhaps keep that goal in mind.

Hope this helps,

Todd

15. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Todd

thank you so much for your brilliant comment. I know I fucked up and was being a dick and that he didn't deserve any of that. When I think about it, deep down I know he didn't do anything wrong but it still hurt to see him kiss someone else. But I know it wasn't his fault and the fact that I got mad at him was totally wrong on my part. I think his reaction to being kissed was actually really appropriate and I shouldn't have gone off on him like that. I know he didn't deserve any of that. I'm so ashamed :/ I'm shocked by how gross my own behavior was to be honest. I never knew I was that possessive, jealous type of person to be honest but I'm glad I know that now.

I realize this now that I've calmed down and am going to tell him this tonight.

yeah, that...let's just say I fucked pretty much everything up last night.

I definitely agree, I think we need to discuss what we are, I mean if we're even in a relationship at all, and where to go from here. That's what I'm going to try to talk to him about tonight.

These social event situations are really difficult because I have no idea how to act. I mean people know we're best friends so if we hang out together a lot I doubt anyone would get suspicious but I'm still afraid they would know before I'm/we're ready to tell them, you know?

the more I think about it, the more I believe Maria knows something's going on. She's super good at reading people and she seems to know what I'm thinking before I do so I've got a feeling she knows :/ I really need to talk to him about what we should do regarding her and some of our other close friends. It seems impossible to keep this hidden from some of them.

Thanks for the links! I'm going to read the shorter ones now and then continue with the rest tomorrow/later tonight!

I'm definitely going to hug him and apologize to him because what I did to him wasn't okay and he needs to know that.

this is what I will do :slight_smile:

thank you so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2013 at 04:38 PM ----------

WhiteShadows

He was being loyal to me, no doubt about that! I feel so bad for treating him like shit :/

I will :grin:

16. scanner007

Bah!
    Its 8:30pm saturday night for me, so your Saturday night is already half over.
    Theres a lot I would've like to have said to you before tonight happened.
    Hopefully things have gone well for you.

I wouldn't sweat the situation with him and the girl dancing. Nobody else knows and so everyone else is going to proceed with the information they have. If he WOULDN'T have danced with her, it would have seemed strange.
    The fact that he was this emotional about it tells me how much he cares for you and how bad he truly felt. You have nothing to worry about, he really does like you that much.

And yes, Maria, knows everything you do...or strongly suspects.
    This tells me that she was watching you watch them dance together, she was reading your reaction. She saw there you were upset by them dancing. She asked the first, then second most obvious questions. Were you upset because you liked girl he was dancing with? NO deductive reasoning leads to the next question.. Were you upset because the girl was dancing with him?
    Basically, Maria is very good at reading people, you either need to steer far away from her for a while or decide if you can trust her and let her in a bit.

And for the stuff I wish I'd have gotten a chance to say before tonight, I hope everything has worked itself out well. Its hard to say if everything can work itself out in just one talk. Theres still a lot of feelings and issues to work through for both of you. Honestly though, I think this jealousy issue is actually good timing if you look at it from a clinical/unemotional perspective. Good timing, if you planning on having another serious talk with him because that incident will probably help put your feelings into perspective for both of you.
    You now know at this point, what it feels like to see him with anyone else, thus realizing just how deep your feelings go for him. And you know, from his reaction, he feels the same way about you. He didn't want to make you angry, he didn't want to hurt you like that and even though he couldn't help it, he doesn't want to betray the love he feels for you. I think that says A LOT!
    The thing you need to be prepared for is that could open up an even larger emotional chasm in him if he's scared about his feelings for a male. Its seems most of his troubles lately is wrestling with the "He can't be gay" and trying to reconcile that with the strength of his love for you. So the jealousy issue probably magnified that.
    You definitely want to be there for him, but be ready for a range of emotions, good and bad. Its still going to take him some time to work things out and its going to take even longer for both of you to be open about it once you're okay together.
    Looking forward to seeing how tonight went.
    GOOD LUCK!

17. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So last night happened

He came over to my place and I apologized. I took AKTodd's advice and hugged him and apologized for being a dick because I know it wasn't his fault. He did indeed hug me back and apologized lots and it seemed like he really meant it.

So we had dinner and avoided all kinds of difficult topics while we ate but afterwards we sat down and really started talking.

I started off by asking him how he felt and he still felt really scared and like he was alone in this. I told him it was quite the opposite, that I was still very confused.

And then he was like "but you've always been so sure of who you are. I don't think you've ever had to deal with it the same way as I have. I've gone from the life I knew to this"

I then decided to come clean, as per Scanner's recommendation. I told him everything. I figured I may as well lay it all out there. So I told him I had gone through/was going through the same thing, that I still didn't have everything figured out, that I still wasn't sure who I was. I decided to tell him everything from when I first suspected I had feelings for him to when I came to accept my feelings, how I'm still dealing with everything and how it's still really scary for me. I finished with saying "but this is still okay, I'm still willing to deal with all this. You wanna know why? Because I have you. And that's what makes it all worthwhile, no matter how scary it is for me. I'm willing to do this because of you, because I'm in love with you." (yes, I actually decided to use the l-word because I figured he needed to know just how strongly I feel about him).

It was like something broke inside him then, it was like a wall came down. He started crying, and we're talking crying so hard he could hardly breathe. I knew everything was difficult for him, but not *that* difficult. I never knew that (remember, this is someone who rarely shows any strong emotions at all). I just scooped him up in my arms and held him and tried to comfort him the best I could (and also tried not to start crying myself because it killed me to see him that sad). I held him until he stopped crying.

He then said "but what if everyone hates me? or us?"

And I was like "it honestly doesn't matter to me, I know it's probably going to be really scary but as long as we have each other it's going to be okay, I promise you that".

I then said that he could have me, that I was all his if he wanted me. I told him several times that I could never dream of forcing into something he wasn't willing/ready to give me and that if he didn't feel anything for me or didn't want to be with me, he needed to tell me that. I then asked him to look at him and tell me honestly what he feels for me.

"I like you so much it scares me" was his reply.

I asked him what we were and he said he wants to be with me and that everything's still so new and confusing to him and that we would have to take things really slow and I said I agreed. He said he needed to figure himself out a bit more first but that he really wanted to be with me.

After that we decided to call it a day because he seemed really shaken and I figured he might need some time (I actually asked if he did, and he said yes) so we decided to continue our discussion tomorrow (today) so I'll be going over to his place this afternoon.

When we said goodbye, he hugged me for the longest time and neither of us wanted to let go so we just stood like that for quite a while :slight_smile: There was no kissing or anything but this is definitely a start. :slight_smile:

#57 blueskies, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  18. bluesky

dude... this is progressing so well. i'm so happy for you and the way you handled things! good job my friend! I'm REALLY REALLY happy to hear this!

19. scanner007

Oh well hell yeah!!!
    Omg I'm grinning ear to ear as I re-read your post blueskies.
    thats awesome....pure awesome

yeah don't let society dictate to you how its going to be, when you're in your home, alone together, fuck the world, leave the rest of the world outside, that time is just for the two of you.
    And you were right, as long as you have each other, you can get through what anyone else thinks of you. Way to live up to your own expectations and not try to be what someone else thinks you should be.

AWESOME!

oh and p.s. ...he wasn't crying because he was sad ;D

#59 scanner007, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Scanner

oh I missed your other comment so I'll reply to both now:

I think you're, as per usual, spot on with everything you say. I think Maria knows because she's really good at reading people and I'm going to tell him that today because I think he deserves to know. I don't think she knows he likes me, but who knows. It somehow wouldn't surprise me if she knew. He wasn't as emotional as I had expected him to be, which actually made having that discussing a lot easier.

I think we're going to have to deal with how open we're going to be about us, soon but right now I just want us to be together without having to worry about that.

I don't think he was crying because he was sad either - I think he was wrestling tons of emotions right then and was probably pretty scared but I think he was more overwhelmed than anything.

BlueSky
    (*hug*)

Thank you so much guys! I hope everything goes well today. I honestly don't think I've ever been this happy before

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.