1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tell one person and everyone will know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mia Mize, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to come out to my family but only to them. I am 20 and I have never said anything about my sexuality because I never wanted it to become a thing. I want to tell my mom about the girl I am in a very serious relationship with. I know that she won't really care but it will be different with her. I also want to tell my Abuela. I know as soon as I tell them everyone will know. My mom and abuela are both huge gossips and again I don't want my sexuality to be talked about like it is a huge deal or like I'm just fooling around "like college kids do" (she actually said that about my cousin). I'm also afraid of how my abuela will react. She is a catholic who is all for LGBTQ+ rights but she will tell everyone it's just a phase and I am unsure of what I want (like she did about my cousins that came out and everyone brushed off) and belittle me while sharing something that is my secret to people I don't want knowing, all while praying for my soul not to go to hell.
    I just don't know what to do or how to handle this but I really do want to come out to them.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, Mia!

Do you think if you were to establish before telling them that you don't want them gossiping about it, there's a chance they'd respect your wishes? I don't know if it'll help, but try telling them how important it is to you to be honest with them, but how it's also important that they are supportive and respectful of the truth you wish to share with them; that as two people you are close to, it would mean the world to you if they approached this information with understanding and not make it into a big conversation piece for the whole family.

I hope you're able to work out a solution.

Mia Mize likes this.