1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some opinions.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Alex94, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I have no clue what to do, I am about to be graduated from high school and I have yet to decide if I want to go into the service or go to college. I really want to enlist in either the marines or army but I am worried I can't do it. Like I am not strong enough, also my parents do not know I am even considering this. I took the ASVAB a year ago and had a score of 45 which I really am not happy with...I am really just super conflicted. I want to do something with my life that matters and to me school is not that, I know what I would go for but...I don't know just can't really picture myself in any real job, like a dead end boring job. I mean sure I could go to college graduate with a degree and become a psychologist but then what? What do I do after that? I want something more out of my life. :/ I am not in real good physical shape; meaning I never work out but I know that if I put my mind to it I could get into the physical shape that would be required of me...I dont want to let my parents down they REALLY want me in college. :/ I don't even know how to bring this up to them; the fact that I am heavily considering enlistment, it would break them and I know my mom would flip out....I am so lost. :/ Help??? I prolly make no sense...

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2013 at 06:48 PM ----------

Additionally I dont even know how to start the enlistment process, aside from talking to a recruiter.

2. Ianthe

3. photoguy93

What would you do after the service? Most people do not make it a lifetime commitment. I think one of the issues that many of our service people face is that they do this for, say, 15 years. They are now 35 and have no job and no skills to fall back on (in terms of a day to day job.) It's important to have something to do.

Secondly, I don't see a real passion here - I think you are just looking for something to do. Am I right?

I think you could definitely go see a recruiter, but maybe you could go meet with a college counselor. You could take a year of general courses or maybe you could take a year off. A lot of people are doing that. Do you work?

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I honestly would like to be in a job that is closest to combat as possible if I were to enlist. I have always wanted to be a part of that full on combat scene. As far as what I am really interested in I can say anything from the components that make up the weapons the military uses, to war tactics and aviation. My interest really does not fall on one topic/section in particular this is part of why I have had such a hard time deciding on what to do with my life.

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

No I do not work.
    - During my consideration of enlistment I have come to the conclusion that if I do enlist I want to make a career out of whatever position I hold.

5. photoguy93

Ok, I guess it really does seem like you have some passion for it. It's good to talk it over here Because there are questions that you can ask a recruiter! :slight_smile: good luck!

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

thank you

7. photoguy93

You're welcome! I really admire you thinking about this - it's a really tough thing to do!