1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some input, trying to make a major decision.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TinyWerewolf, Apr 8, 2022.

?

Should I leave?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Trigger Warning: mentions a near car crash, transphobia, homophobia, and suicidal ideation.

I've been trying to cope the best I can with all the crap life throws at me- long story short it's not going very well and I've been afraid to mention some of this. It's almost seriously injured or killed me now. Yesterday I was driving home from work, and while my eyes were directly in front of me my mind was elsewhere. I was thinking about my family and my ex, I often feel so alone and as if hardly anyone truly cares about me. The truck in front of me starts to turn, and I'm still driving along at sixty miles per hour or more. I don't know what made it finally process in my brain that this truck is turning and I'm about to hit it, God or my guardian angel I guess. I slam on my brakes as hard as possible (and I already wondered if my brake pads needed replacing before this) and manage to escape this unscathed. I think my mental state is affecting me more than I previously realized, I've been off my game at work and making more mistakes too.

I knew this was bad at one point but I thought I had scraped through. I've been dealing with my parents' and siblings' transphobia and homophobia towards me for two and a third years (everything was fuzzy to where I thought it was three at one point). Moments and things they've said have replayed through my head: "If you need to know what gender you are, look in your pants," "You'll never be a man," "You won't pass," "Your therapists think you're crazy every time you say you're trans," "You're not gay," my mom putting scripture cards on the pride lego set in the lego store and continuing to rant about it under her breath the rest of the time we were in the store, "You're not trans, you're too feminine and never showed the signs when you were little," "God wouldn't have given you boobs and a vagina if he wanted you to be a man," I wasn't allowed to see my sister's children for a very long time (like a year) after coming out to her, after my first girlfriend ever broke up with me the first thing my mother said was "Praise Jesus, alleluia!" there was never any consolation from her or an apology for that. There's more: my parents only watch the conservative news channels (the ones that can't handle trans women athletes) and if I get angry and make a passive-aggressive comment about it or leave the room they start an argument. When they see a gay couple or even a gay, bi, pan, or trans/nonbinary person on tv they will make disparaging comments, fast foward through the scene, or change the channel- and then claim its being shoved down their throats.

I have tried to give them chance after chance but it hasn't gotten any better. I am trying not to break but after the breakup I'm just cracking under the pressure. My ex was someone who helped hold me together, made me feel loved. Now without her and my family still being like this I just feel pain. Overwhelming, soul consuming pain. I can't keep doing this. I've had terrible thoughts, like being held at gunpoint and just telling them to do it. Or driving off this big curve with a steep drop and no guard rail. It's not the first time I've had this type of thoughts, I don't plan on acting on them, but I think I need help. I want to come out, pass as male, and just be happy as myself.

In order to do that I'm not sure what my first step should be, and that's where I need the input. Should I just up and leave?

DragonChaser likes this.
  2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that any of us can tell you what to do, but honestly I think that if you have the resources you should really consider moving far away. Heck, if you don't have them, you probably should still consider it. As it stands now, it sounds like a toxic environment that will never get better. You don't have to stick with the family you have just because you share a history and some genetics. You can choose your own family.

#2 bsg75apollo, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What makes me still question it at this point is how much they helped me growing up. I needed accomodations for a learning disability (which I think was my depression and sleep deprivation after all), but they fought for me to get those. They've done a lot for me. They weren't perfect but they tried and cared. My brother is the only one I would think could possibly come around, everyone else not so much. I really wish they were all accepting, I love them so much. If I didn't I would've never let them treat me like this. As for chosen family members, I have a few of them and they're accepting.

DragonChaser likes this.
  4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh Tiny Werewolf I'm so sorry! I wish I could reach out and give you the biggest hug. You must be hurting so much right now.

You need to leave. Of course, you need to leave. But you also need a plan. Being homeless and trans is worse even than being trans and living under the roof of your family.

Think - do you have any friends you are out to that you can stay with, even if just for a while?

Do you have any relations you're out to who could put you up temporarily?

Is there an LGTBQ+ centre in your nearest big town?

Do you know the number of the Samaritans? (Or I think they might be called Befrienders in the US..) In my darkest moments, after my partner died and I was first coming to terms with being trans in 2020, I phoned them several times and just sobbed and sobbed. They don't advise, they just listen. Just knowing that a kind stranger was listening to my words and was sympathising with me helped me. I can't recommend them enough. If you are feeling like you're on the edge and it's just all too much PLEASE Google their number and phone them.

I so wish I could do more other than offer you my support and encouragement. Having your heart broken is horrible at any time. It's even worse given the situation you're in. BUT you can and will get through this. You're an intelligent articulate man and you will survive.

Please take care, Tiny Werewolf. Sending out love and strength to you tonight, my brother.

Big hugs, Beth x

#4 chicodeoro, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  5. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you love them and still want them in your life, that's great. But, the love and care that they have shown you does not mean that you are indebted to them or they are entitled to mistreatment. Keeping them in your life with proper boundaries sounds like it might be the right approach. You may be able to establish some of those boundaries by developing self-sufficiency.

6. Really

A bunch of great advice here. Just wanted to add that if you go no contact now for your own sanity, there’s nothing stopping you from reaching out down the line when you’re in a better place mentally and otherwise. Or not. If making decisions that benefit only you angers them in any way, they don’t deserve the privilege of being in your life.

It was their duty to take care of you growing up. Not some favour they bestowed on you. They don’t get extra credit for doing what parents are morally supposed to do. And now you’re an adult. Even without any of what you are dealing with, adult children live their own lives. They shouldn’t be surprised you want to, too. If they are, they’re delusional.

It’s a lot but if you break it down into component parts - living arrangements, financial considerations, mental health support, etc and then look up any and all resources you can take advantage of (because if they’re not there for you, who are they there for?) and make a plan, you’ll be in your way before you know it.

Number one should probably be to contact one of the support/crisis lines mentioned above because their help will get you in the right path. If you prefer text support, in the US it’s 741741.

buzzer, Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  7. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello @TinyWerewolf

I just read your post and just want you to know that I’m sending you a huge hug and to tell you that I am so sorry you are in this dreadful situation.

I am born female but identify as non binary, transmasculine and I came out when I was older. It was bad enough for me but at least I had full support from my family.

I can not even begin to imagine what it must be like for you there. It’s quite toxic for you and I would think if you could get away say to stay with a friend or even if you could find a place (assuming your finances would allow you to do so) then that would be better for you. You could then only hope that your family (or at least some family members) would support and be there for you.

You have all of us here who understand.

YOU are important and loved and I hope you realise this. Please take care of yourself. You can message me any time if you need a listening ear. (Once I’ve become a full member and I’m allowed to receive messages that is).

Rayland, chicodeoro and DragonChaser like this.
  8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TinyWerewolf.....I think that I've told you this before...for your own mental health you need to leave. You also need to find a therapist that works with the LGBTIAQ+ Community. That will help you a lot! I know it has helped me a lot. Please seriously consider both of these things.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

9. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't expecting to get a lot of replies, and they're all appreciated. I need to be quick at the moment so I apologize if I seem too brief.

I am hurting and would love a hug, I'm very much a hugger. The offer I have from my friend's parents still stands, they're just waiting on a timeline from me. Her dad doesn't use my preferred name or pronouns but he'll treat me me with more respect to my knowledge. Her mom, sister, and grandma don't have a problem with me at all as far as I know and are all very sweet. I've tried to reach out to the one cousin I came out to just to let him know I'm alive and ok to no avail (he's the same age as me and gay). I have a couple other cousins and an aunt who would likely be supportive if they knew, but they live far away and we haven't spoken in a while due to my perdicament. As for the LGBTQIA+ center, I'm not sure- I know support groups exist in that city. I've heard of Samaratins but didn't know what they did. I'm so sorry you lost your partner, that is one of the worst things to happen to anyone in my opinion. And I don't know how I come off as smart when I think I'm stupid but the compliment is deeply appreciated. Thank you for listening, love you too, sister.

I'm not sure what boundaries to put in place. I love them dearly but the misgendering and deadnaming needs to stop. They're very controlling, and I need to financially separate myself from them so they have no leverage to trap me again. I wish I would still see my nieces and nephew afterwards, I'm really going to miss them terribly. Thank you for trying to help me.

I've considered going no contact for my parents, it may be best. I'm not sure. I'm likely getting outed via facebook the moment I do, the whole town will be shocked and likely talk behind my back. They'll be saying I broke our family up and it's my fault when they nearly broke me. My end goal is to move far north someday in the distant future after or as I start my transition so it will be easier. I'll definitely need to plan this on paper and hide it at work. Thank you for your advice.

I imagine that was hard, nonbinary people have a whole different (yet sometimes similar) set of hoops to jump through. I unfortunately can't afford my own place yet, staying with a friend's family is an option though. Thank you for your kind words.

I actually did start looking into a therapist and found one who's gay himself and I think would be a great fit- problem is I currently don't have benefits being a part time worker (but that may change soon) and my phone would make teleheath/zoom sessions difficult. Thank you for answering me in a crisis once again.

Sunchimes, Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  10. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dearest Brother,

First, I like-bombed everyone, but I endlessly applaud you for being so open and so honest about how very much you're hurting inside and for seeking guidance in earnest. I'm glad to see you are getting a plurality of opinions and support, and I certainly hope you receive more!

We've spoken privately about my opinion on what you should do, but I will say it again: please find a way out. If it means couch-surfing, I'd still do it. I slept on a couch for three years - no kidding - but it was better than nowhere at the time. Any place is a starting point, just make plans to move on quickly.

Don't be careless, though. Make sure you're going somewhere safe and secure, that's conducive to healing and growing your life. Moving from one toxic environment to another is not really an improvement, though you're bright, and I know you'll consider this along the way.

As for your family, I understand your commitment to them, and your attachment. I understand the people they once were and I also understand the people they are now. The two are not the same.

Some day, perhaps years from now, they'll accept you, and love you, and fight for you. Many of the strongest straight/cis allies we have out there right now came from that conservative media bubble.

Those are not your parents right now, though. And if you should feel indebted to them for advocating for and making sure your needs were met when you were a child, I sincerely ask you - what child deserves less?

I wish I had more to say, but I've already said so much, I don't want to drown you in my voice and I don't know if all of this came out right anyway, so I hope at least I've given you something to consider, and perhaps even some strength and certainty in your choice, whatever it may be.

Regardless, I will be here, and I will be your sister, and I will adore your sweet heart... but watching you go down in flames really sucks, kiddo. I think the writing's on the wall; it's time to go.

I really hate to say this, for so many reasons, yet I truly believe it's the only way you'll be free to heal.

Be safe, be careful, and be strong, but get away from them, please.

Your Loving Sister,
    -Lydia

PS - I don't know how you keep making me prouder of you, darling. I'm humbled to know you.

PPS - I don't know if you'll be conscious for the entire hug I'm going to give you if I ever get the chance.

Sunchimes and Rayland like this.
  11. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is good, but when you're drowning you need to shout 'HELP!' Do they know how you're feeling right now?

This is so true. It can be the hardest thing to accept that your parents - the people who gave us life and that we are 'supposed' to feel closest to in the world - are an impediment to us becoming the people we want, we need to be. It's hard for them too. But in being so controlling and dismissive of your feelings, they are not loving you. To become an adult you need to distance yourself from them. Lydia is right - in time they will (hopefully) accept you. But before then you will have to go through the pain of separation to become the man you are.

You're not stupid. How do I know you're smart? Because you write so well. You have an amazing future ahead of you. You just have to get through this hairpin bend first. But you can do it. And all of us here on EC are rooting for you.

Finally, if ever it's getting too much and you need to just vent, do PM me. Almost by definition, being trans means going through mental anguish of some description but this is a community and we support each other.

Big big hugs, Beth x

DragonChaser, Sunchimes and Rayland like this.
  12. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a real problem opening up and being vulnerable, I keep my guard up a lot of times. When I make a thread like this, it's nothing short of a cry for help. At this point I need it. I've tried surviving like this and it's killing me mentally and emotionally.

If I take this full time position I'm being offered then I get a decent raise (and make an ok hourly wage overall), benefits, and will be trained to become an assistant manager (meaning I move up in a year or two). If I take it I may just move there, it's an hour away. If I move there I may just come out completely, start presenting as male and using my chosen name. I'm out to employees only, and one called me my chosen name while the store was empty today and it made me happy. Regardless the manager there ordered me shirts with my chosen name, and would allow me to hide them there at that store. The main thing in my way is not owning my car and their names on my bank account. Plus they have my identification documents locked in a file cabinet in their office.

I know they'll bring up what they've done for me, I already feel guilty for not being the person they wanted rather than the son they got and needing support (especially from them). I hate the fact I'm a trans man, and myself in my entirety so it will just be difficult. I wish I could change their mind about me but I've tried and failed. I can't do this acting like I'm fine and someone else much longer.

I'm hanging on for you lovely people and the rest of my chosen family. I'd hug you back if I could, Lydia.

There's so many wonderful people I wish I could hug in this thread, including you, Beth.

I've been in touch with my close friend (their daughter) and she knows I'm hurting, but I doubt she knows the extent. Maybe I should scream for help but she's having a rough time with college and her family just lost their dog. The last thing I'd want to be is a burden.

This is difficult for me, this pain feels like they turned their back on me but are also still there if that makes any sense at all. I don't know how to make myself do this thing I need to do. I'm so used to them being there and I love them (even if they don't love me anymore), that's part of why this aches so much.

This whole time I didn't think I wrote much of anything well lol. Thank you. I may take you up on that but I know I'm a lot to deal with (I currently relate to "Liability" by Lorde for that reason). I don't even think I've totally sorted through my dysphoria or what triggers it.

DragonChaser likes this.
  13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TinyWerewolf.....NOW IS THE TIME! TAKE THE JOB! GET YOUR MONEY AND DOCUMENTS, YOU CAN SURVIVE WITHOUT A CAR IF YOU HAVE TO, AND LEAVE! Don't talk about it any more, don't ask questions about it any more. For goodness sake and your own sanity...DO IT...BREAK FREE!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

chicodeoro, Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  14. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

....I don't know how I'd get to work without a car. There's not really a bus to that area except for one and I don't know how early it starts or the stops (and if I'm late this guy will fire me instantly).

DragonChaser likes this.
  15. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rides from co-workers, for a while, could be a start. If someone can find a place that isn't far from where you work, I'm sure your boss or someone with the same schedule could pick you up, especially since they're sympathetic to your position.

Or if a place is close enough, walk. I do. I don't have a car, either. I'm working on it, trying to get it in order. They're cheap and easy to find on places like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Maybe try those.

Also, don't you have a possible arrangement with a friend? Couldn't they help you arrange transportation?

Of course, there are always services like Lyft and Uber; they're not free, but on days when you have nothing else, that can get you from A to B.

There are options is my point, although - as an American, myself - I understand how difficult it can be to do anything without a vehicle. We take them for granted but everything is designed for and around them.

I hope you can get one of your own soon. Until then, secure an alternative as soon as you possibly can. None of this can wait. Since you confessed this is a cry for help, heed us, please, darling; you are literally in danger.

I don't know how to help you with self-hatred on that extreme of a level. You know I don't hate you, you know I think your heart is beautiful and your mind is strong, and you know I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way, but I know that hearing things like don't always change how we feel.

Sometimes feelings can't be spoken away. Sometimes we need professional guidance. And there's no way you can get that in your current environment. And since ignoring it nearly killed you...

I hate to say this, but there's no pain-free transition out of their grasp on your life. You have to break it.

No matter what, I remain, as always, your loving friend and sister, Jack. Please, don't give up. Hang in there.

And stay safe! Be extra careful when driving and more than ever take care of yourself! Nutritious food, decent sleep, regular bathing, plenty of water!

NO EXCUSES, or I'm going to be so angry with you! :pouting_cat:

I'd probably hug you anyway. (But angrily...)

#15 DragonChaser, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    chicodeoro and Rayland like this.
  16. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe you're right, you've been saying it all along. I'm scared I might screw this up or get myself in trouble somehow but there has to be a version of life where I'm happy.

I'll start looking into the trolley that passes that store every day, apartments too- that's one option. I could maybe buy a beat up car with what small amount I have, not sure. I'll contact the friend I have an arrangement with as soon as I can to let her know what's going on. I know someone who lives in that city and maybe would know of resources there so I'll contact her as well. I've decided to call my company's help line too to see what they can find- I've been apprehensive to call it.