1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with math!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by poltergirl, Jun 2, 2017.

1. poltergirl

Hi. As you can see I am 13, and in school (where I live,) we're studying mediums, medians, & modes. Medians & modes I do fine, but mediums always confuse me. How you divide rational numbers like 2148? In your head?!:help::help:

2. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't worry I'm still in school and STILL have trouble remembering which is which. Finding the medium(or mean which is what my place calls it) of numbers just means you add all your values together then divide by how many values you had in the first place.

Example: 4,5,6,7 When I add them up I get 22 and since I have 4 values I will divide 22 by 4. So my medium will be 5.5. If you can't divide in your head write down your work so you can practice as using a calculator won't let you think. Hope that was helpful, do you think you've got it?

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The median is a different form of average to the mean. There are 3 different types of average, mean, median and mode. I'd suggest looking on the Internet or YouTube for help on this matter.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi poltergirl, when you say "medium," do you mean "mean" or something else? If you mean "mean," then I think TheSideKick's explanation was spot-on.
    Have you learned long division in class yet? That is my go-to way to divide if I don't have a calculator. If you haven't learned long division and aren't allowed to use calculators, then I think you should ask you teacher for clarification.

5. poltergirl

^ Yeah, I mean "mean." Sorry I take school in french lol

6. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "Medium", never heard it called that before. I know it as the "mean", which is the sum of all the numbers divided by the amount of number there are. I remember it as the 'mean' bully who took sweets from all his victims and shared them out equally between his friends. It's easier once you make up something stupid to help you remember.

As for mental arithmetic, it's a matter of practising and finding ways to help you cope with more difficult numbers. In your example (2148), say you had to divide it by 8, it's easier if you spilt up the number to make it simpler to work with. For example 2000 and 148. When you divide them you'll get 250 and 18.5. It's simpler than you think, just divide by 2 three times (2^3 = 8). Hope this helps.

Don't worry, they'll let you use calculators soon. :wink:

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This song...

Mean is average, Mean is average
    Mode is most, mode is most
    Medians is in the middle, Medians is in the middle
    Range low high, Range low high.

Mean - Add up all the numbers, and then divide by the amount of numbers there are.

E.G. 1+3+5+6 = 15 / 4 = 3.75. The mean of this sequence is 3.75

Mode - Which number is the most common?

E.G. 2, 2, 2, 4, 8. 2 would be the mode of this sequence, as there are three 2s but only one of 4 and 8.

Median - The number in the center of all the other numbers. (Reorganise) all the numbers into order from smallest to largest, and find the one in the center. Cross off the numbers from each end, and stop when you've got one (for an odd amount) or two (for an even amount) numbers. If there is one number, then this is your answer. If there are two numbers, then the ''invisible'' number between those two is your answer.

E.G. 9, 2, 1, 4, 11, 6, 3, 10. Would rearrange to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11. Since there is eight numbers, you would have two ''in the middle''. Those numbers in this example are 4 and 6. The number between 4 and 6 is five. Therefore, the median in these sequence is 5.

Range - The difference between the largest and smallest number. Take the largest number and the smallest number of a sequence. Then subtract the largest number from the smaller number.

E.G. 2, 5, 8, 10, 12. Largest number is 12, smallest number is 2. 12 - 2 = 10. 10 is the range of this sequence.

#7 Secrets5, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017