1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help, I'm so confused.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nightshade, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey new friend, welcome, I love meeting people on here that I can connect with. I'm sorry to just ignore the previous posts, but what I may have had to add has been said already so I'm just gonna move on.

I did something crazy at school today.

You see I'm the Deputy Head Girl of my high school and one of my best friends is the Deputy Head Boy and I got him to switch badges with me as a joke, because he is really camp and people always joke that we each got the wrong badge. So while I was wearing it some of my friends noticed and I told them that I was Jayson and that my friend was Zara, and that they all should call me Jayson or Jay for the rest of the day. I don't know why I did it, I just felt gutsy and seriously I think it was the best decision I've had. It felt so natural. Sometimes people forgot the name or forgot about the trade and would call me Paige again, but my other friends would correct them and it just felt so good. I know it wasn't real and everyone thought it was a joke, but I just felt so happy as everyone was calling me by my name and it was so great. I can't begin to articulate how good I felt. I haven't traded my badge back yet so I might see if I can do it again tomorrow, though I'm kinda scared of risking it if I'm honest. But if you have that opportunity (though I don't know if you will, I only had it because I have a uniform and we have badges) I would really recommend trying it. You can play it off as a joke and experience what life could be like to some degree if you transitioned. Ah I'm smiling like an idiot at my screen, I probably look like a right nutter.

(!)(!)(!):icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg :grin: :grin: :grin:(!)(!)(!):eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

2. Queero

That's so great!

I'm smiling too. :slight_smile:

I don't have any opportunity to do that. I don't have uniforms or badges, hell I don't even go to a building for school. But still (!) (!!):thewave:

In other news, I just feel like sharing, because this seems to me like the awesome transpeople share their lives/party thread, that my friend told me that she sees me as a guy now, and "that it explains a lot. You're a boy, you do gross boy things."

Whatever, I'm happy. :lol:

3. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I feel so good right now :grin: and that's a shame, maybe you should try going somewhere where no one knows you and just tell people you're called Graham?

And that's brilliant! This has basically descended into that thread, lets be real. And I've been told I do gross boy things by my little sister before now. I'm happy for you man!

Ever since I posted this thread, and finally started referring to myself as male mentally, and today people referring to me as male out loud, I've felt happier. I'm still stressed because of work, but I'm so much happier. :grin:

4. Queero

Maybe, I could tell people that come to Game Night to call me that. I'm actually okay with my birth first name, (it's a unisex name) but I'm trying Graham out to see if I like it, and I do. I'll likely make it my middle name legally, because my birth middle name is just....no. I very unfortunately do not have a binder yet, though it's getting harder and harder without one, so maybe not yet. :frowning2: But soon! I can feel it coming, closer and closer.

Yeah, it started out as "please help me, I'm confused", and it's turned into "spill your guts and party!" But I love it.

It does make you happier, when you get comfortable referring to yourself as a male mentally. It's little things that make you feel really good. So happy for you Jayson!

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:38 AM ----------

I'll likely tell new people I meet to call me Graham after I get my binder and decide what I'm doing with my hair.

I think it'll be easier on my family if they don't have to adjust to a new name, and seeing as it doesn't bother me, I'm okay with that. I like my birth name, but I also like Graham.

5. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I also don't have a binder. They're so expensive, and I was considering ace bandages, but apparently that's a big no no. I really want to try one to see if I'm comfortable with them. I don't know how I feel about changing my name properly. Paige is hardly a unisex name, but at the same time the idea of changing my name seems so, I don't know, final? Like I still have loads of doubts and stuff, and the idea of changing my name scares me. Maybe I should see a therapist :lol:

Yeah It has, but it's great. I think having somewhere to just talk is brilliant, which is why I like this website so much.

And yeah. Sometimes I forget and confuse myself though. It's hard, because I still have the general "but you're a girl" thought running through my mind when I do mentally call myself Jay. It's a working progress.

6. Queero

Please, promise me you won't use Ace bandages.

They're very, very dangerous.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:48 AM ----------

No, I get the name change thing, and it's become more popular for girls recently. :| Oh well, my parents just chose one first name and that's what I was going to be named no matter what, so that has always comforted me. But my middle name is....Grace.

Even if I was a girl, I'm seriously clumsy, so it just doesn't work.

I've always hated it, and it has got t o be changed.

7. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's a good idea, if you still like your birth name and it doesn't give you dysphoria then it may make it easier on friends and family if they don't have to adjust to a new name as well as a new son/brother or male friend. And I won't I've read that they're bad, though I don't really get why they're so much worse than binders. Both of them compress your chest so I don't really see the problem.

8. Queero

And oh yeah, I had no idea there were actually real people out there who were like me. Not just trans, but unsure of themselves, who got ridiculously excited over things like using the men's bathroom, even if it was only a single, I still took a picture of the door. Who wanted to find someone like themselves to talk to.

9. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you don't mind my asking, what is your birth name? And I only recently heard about the trans community (like the last year or so) and I didn't even know it was a thing for girls. I thought only boys became girls because that's all I'd ever heard of. And I haven't been brave enough to ever try using a males toilet. I don't think I'm ready if I'm honest. Not with my hair the way it is.

10. Queero

The problem with Ace bandages as I understand it is this: They are made to reduce swelling, and to an Ace bandage, your breathing is swelling. And when there is swelling, it tightens and tightens. So, while it may really flatten you out, it can damage ribs really badly. And I've heard that if you damage them badly enough you won't be able to get top surgery. Not sure why that last part is, but I'm not risking not being able to get these things off.

11. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh... Ok so not a chance of ace bandages then. I suppose same goes for duct tape then? I just wish binders were cheaper. I mean I'm 16 and I don't work so £35 isn't cheap. I don't wanna ask my parents, because my mum would probably be awkward about it and my step-dad would flip.

12. Queero

......Well, I don't really mind, but I've never told anyone on here or anywhere else before.

It's Cassidy.

Kind of girly now, but I'm old enough that I would've been when I was named. It kind of stands out.

...it wasn't that brave, I checked it was only a single like three times before I went in. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:58 AM ----------

Duct tape is a no.

13. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah I see what you mean. It has become rather feminine, but if you're ok with it then you might as well keep it, unless it makes you dysphoric or upsets you. And still, I wouldn't have gone in even if it was a single, for fear that someone I knew saw me.

And yeah I thought so, I get why that's a no.

14. Queero

Yeah, there's lots of little girls now named Cassidy. I'm older, so it's like Tracy or Sidney, it's a girly name now, but if you get guys old enough to have been named that before, then it's still a boy's name.

And it doesn't upset me so I will likely keep it.

Duct tape would really hurt too.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

..I planned to play it off like the women's single was occupied if anyone said anything.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:16 PM ----------

And no, binders aren't cheap. I'm scared to even look up how much one would cost for me. And I'm large-chested, so I'll want to try out a few different kinds.

15. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I get that. I didn't know Tracy could be a guys name. And yeah it makes sense. And I could imagine. Getting it on and off would be a nightmare. Also that's a good idea, but I'd be so nervous that I wouldn't think of it like that.

For my cup size they range from £30-50 depending on type and level of compression. That isn't cheap for a broke teenage boy y'know?

Also, one of my biggest sources of dysphoria is I still like things that are considered girly. I still wanna do dancing for example, and I'm a musician and an actor. I'm good at writing which is also considered a feminine trait. I'm trying to make myself less effeminate, but I still want to do those things and it stresses me out. I feel like I'm not man enough, so therefore I'm not actually trans and then there's just a horrible spiraling self-doubt and hatred session. It's also another reason why I'm finding it hard to fully accept myself as a male.

16. Queero

No, it isn't cheap. And I don't know if you have to pay shipping or not. :|

Yeah, Tracy used to be popular for boys a long time ago, but it's considered a girl's name now, so people don't usually name boys Tracy anymore.

Yes. It's been really hard for me to accept myself because I don't fit into any gender box.

I like hiking and camping and apparently I do "gross boy things" :lol:

But I also enjoy doing lots of girlier things, and most of my friends are girls. But it's not like I chose my friends because of their sex or anything.
    But I like to write, and I love music. And I finish the summer reading program as soon as I sign up. I just don't fit into boxes and I still sometimes have a difficult time with that.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:52 PM ----------

Super happy for you, I'm sure it felt great to get called the right thing at school today.

:thewave:

17. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I wish this was easier. That I could live somewhere were I was fully accepted. I feel so isolated and lonely.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 05:54 PM ----------

And it did. I felt great even though I still had a nagging thing at the back of my head saying "they don't take this seriously jay, they think its a joke" which was annoying.

18. Queero

I wish people weren't so ignorant. Unfortunately, a lot of people are.

I refer to that as the "asshole voice". I wish I could punch it.

But see, even as you were thinking that, you're still referring to yourself as Jay, so that's something.

19. Nightshade

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah I guess. It's amazing how quickly I've adapted to calling myself Jay. I though it'd take longer than this. I've only been doing it for what 2 days now? It just feels comfortable.

20. Queero

Some things can take a long time to adjust to, and some take almost no time at all.

The clothes took me a while to figure out, because I wasn't comfortable enough to tell my mother then that I didn't want to look for anything in the women's section, but when I got my first pair of men's cargo shorts...one of the happiest days. I felt so comfortable and I was so happy. Still denied to myself I was trans, but yeah.