1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need a Favor: DREAM Act 2010

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crimsonarcher, Nov 8, 2010.

1. crimsonarcher

Hello everybody.
    I know, I'm practically a stranger now because I haven't logged in a while.
    However, I come to you all now for a favor. Quite a grand one.
    I wasn't sure whether to post this thread in "chit chat" of "lgbt issues",
    but alas, it is here.
    Surely, as you all were watching the Defense Authorization Bill and the fillibuster
    that followed, you may have heard talk about the DREAM Act.
    The Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act, aka the DREAM Act,
    is a bipartisan bill (I believe it's also known under S.3827) that would provide
    undocumented youth with a 10+ year to citizenship. Over 65,000 students graduate High School every year, unsure of what to do with their lives academically, socially, economically, and/or militarily, because of their unfortunate illegality. For those youth, whose illegality stem from their parents' poor choices, they can have a chance to contribute to the American society that they have been raised in. Here are the prerequisites:
    ■Must have entered the United States before the age of 16 (i.e. 15 and younger)
    ■Must have been present in the United States for at least five (5) consecutive years prior to enactment of the bill
    ■Must have graduated from a United States high school, or have obtained a GED, or have been accepted into an institution of higher education (i.e. college/university)
    ■Must be between the ages of 12 and 35 at the time of application
    ■Must have good moral character

Once approved, the youth are under CONDITIONAL permanent residency for SIX years.
    Then, after the six years are up, the youth is then a regular permanent resident.
    THEN, after 5 years and completing 2 years of either college or military service,
    the youth can finally apply for citizenship. (6yrs +5yrs=11 at least!)

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has promised to bring up the DREAM Act
    sometime during the Lame Duck session. The bill has received support from Rupert Murdoch, high military officials (for more recruits), Harvard has also expressed support after the Eric Juarez event (Harvard student who was ready to be deported, but after a FB campaign and vocal pleas for his release, he was granted deferred status- Not deported, but no change to status). Others in support are President Obama, and Meghan McCain (Sen. McCain's daughter). A recent poll taken in either august or September showed that 70% of Americans support this legislation!

Personally, it wouldn't affect me, but after talking and interacting with these youth,
    I was most certain that these children are dedicated enough to contribute to the U.S.
    Most were brought over without any say in the matter, voiceless and completely dependent on these adults who made the decision to break the law. Being a member of this Forum, I was more than happy with the support I got when I first joined in April of 2007. I met others who were in bad situations with coming out and such. That history, the membership in a minority often scapegoated for many problems, the target of hateful crimes....I'm hoping that after reading this, you'll feel a tad bit of sympathy for these kids. The parents shouldn't have done it. But the youth are here. Many are college hopefuls thristy for Academia, while others want to go out there to fight for the American flag.

Please help out, even if it is just a "like".

:slight_smile:
    I ask this of you: Go to Facebook, and search "DREAM Act". Join the group!.They are nearing 49,000 members. I know that some LGBT folk, who know what it's like to suffer, will be sympathetic and be willing to help them out. This Lame Duck Session is pretty much the last chance for this to happen before all the new Republicans will enter this coming January.

You guys are a very supportive bunch.I should mention, there are many LGBT illegals who, facing the realities of their illegality and/or homosexuality, commit suicide. After all that's happended in the last few weeks, I don't want to see that again.

2. crimsonarcher