1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Messed up Big Time with straight friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Beachboi92, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Beachboi92

I know i've been using the support and advice forum a lot lately so heres a new one to add to my list of problems.

My straight friend in the army invited me to a BBQ last night... Yeah it is going there

So it was all fun eventually music got turned on i started dancing and then he started hitting on me. Now he has sort of done that before but never like this and this was the first time i was staying with him in his room just the two of us for the night... He started talking a little dirty before we where even there and even started trying to pump drinks into me but at this point i was drunk and he was trashed. I stupidly broke the liquor after beer rule which only made this mess up more inevitable... I've kind of wanted this to happen i guess, i mean he's this built "straight" military guy and sort of fulfills a fantasy of mine so you can imagine i feel even more like i let this happen.

The fact is he is from Texas, born in a religious homophobic family but he himself has been very accepting and obviously questionable... He admitted i was only the second guy he has ever messed around with and still was adamant about being into women. Anyways we have been good friends for almost a year now and i feel terrible. I feel like i took advantage, and worse i'm worried he is never going to talk to me again or freak out or worse, i really have no way to gauge his reaction.

We only fooled around, nothing to serious, oral and fingering mostly me being the receiver of both, he was drunk and having trouble... But then afterwards he wanted to cuddle and i was really torn. I went back and forth from wanting to to getting myself as far away from him as possible. I was freaking out i feel like i may have totally ruined everything between the two of us as friends. Not to mention i promised i would never put someone in that position if they where unsure of there sexuality because i feel like that is really fucked up.

Finally i lost it got all my shit and basically ran away at like 330am. I called my lesbian navy friend who also knows him freaking out and went to her room and we talked and she took me back to my car and we got Mcdonalds but i'm still freaking out. She promised she wouldn't tell anybody, but i don't know if he will remember anything, and i don't know what will happen when he waked up and sees i'm not there, or if he will even remember i slept in his room.

Last time he acted flirty towards me he spent weeks avoiding me so i really worry this will wreck everything between us. And on top of that i am the person that doesn't do one night stands and gets attached and he is like a fucking fantasy to me. I don't want to get my hopes up and i don't want our friendship to be ruined and at the same time i want some impossible fairy tale to come of it... Idk what to do or how to handle it, this is the first time i've been in any situation close to this what do i do!?

I apologize if this post is rambling or hard to understand i still may be a tad drunk i haven't slept, and i'm just freaking out:help::help::help: I'm just going between wanting to cry cause i feel like i fucked up so bad and being worried that he is ok, and worrying about what will happen tomorrow and if he will freak.:help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While this a most gay guy's dream, I can imagine that if it's one of your friends, it might have consequences.
    I don't think it's your fault, if you were on the reciving end, HE obviously wanted to do it, but you probably should have stopped him earlier. I think he is struggling with some denial, but with the current info, I don't really know much about him.
    My guess would be wait until morning and call, or send him a Facebook message or something.

3. Eleanor Rigby

You were drunk, he was drunk, you're attracted to him... those kind of things happen.
    Now, I think that the best solution to avoid akward moments and keep your friendship on track is to talk to him honestly. Problems usualy come from the things unsaid and from wondering about what's happening in each other's head.
    I suggest that, when both of you will be sober again and will have had a night sleep, you call him and ask him over for a coffee.
    Then tell him what you told us. That both of you were drunk, that you think he is attractive and that you let your boundaries dropped. But that now, you're only going to do what he is comfortable doing. That if he is unsure about his sexuality, he is welcome to talk to you, that if he prefers not to talk about it for now, that is fine too, and that you value your friendship too much to do anything that would put it at risks.
    Then if he needs some space, give him some space, but hopefully, he'll come around.

I hope this can help a little.
    Take care, Cécile

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First and foremost: don't be too hard on yourself here. Because, judging from your story, I'm not getting the impression you're the evil mastermind taking advantage of him here.

After all:
    - He was flirty with you before
    - He had sex with another guy already
    - He put himself in the same situation again, and I don't believe for a second he didn't think of the possibility of any of this happening. Hell, he even made sure you both were seriously drunk!

Okay, you saw an opening and you used it (no pun intended :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). which makes you complicit. But at most, you're equally responsible.

I'm guessing the best thing is to just own up to what happened and be honest amongst each other. You got drunk and had sex, and it doesn't have to be a big deal if you don't let it become one.
    He obviously, despite being straight, felt it was the right thing to do. You, being gay and into military guys, felt like it was the right thing to do, and you had fun. This does not mean anything about his sexuality, as that's a matter for him and him alone to decide on.
    Just both own up to it, agree it might have been a bad idea looking at it when you're sober, and get over it like adults. In the final analysis, I believe it's less embarrassing and less dangerous than, say, deciding to have a street race while drunk at 2AM.
    By owning up that way, you at least avoid the whole "does he remember?" "Why did he give me all that alcohol?" "Why did he run away at 3:30AM?" "what if this wrecks our friendship?" mill of thoughts. Being honest might make it awkward for a bit, yes, but nothing as awkward as constantly second-guessing will.

On the fairy-tale end... don't get your hopes up. From what you say, I'm guessing he might be gay or bi and just closeted, but this is obviously something he might need to sort out first. And dating with a guy that's closeted even to himself is a recipe for disaster.

I know this is hard to do when you're panicking, but just breathe slowly, and accept that this happened and that, even if it might have been a mistake, it doesn't have to be cause for regret if you both own up to it and decide to move on.

5. Beachboi92

ok so he texted me at about 6am

him- WTF where did you go
    me- i woke up and hitched a ride with (mutual lesbian navy friend we will call her X)
    him- look nothing has changed right? i kinda feel bad
    me- nothings changed i guess i was kind of worried about what was gonna happen this morning though. cause your my friend and i feel like i did something stupid that jeopardized that because i wasn't sure how you would react later (i'm going on 2 hours of sleep and still tipsy btw)
    him- I know what happened and it's cool not much more from(than?) that but i let you know that last night as shitty as it sounds, that stays between you and me (he was still apparently drunk at this point i cleaned up his text) there than? that we are still friends just as i remember you from yesterday
    me- ok good cause i was really worried about it and about putting you in a bad or an awkward position or something
    him- nah dude im good besides friends are worth everything in my book
    me- good i feel a lot better (half true) cause honestly i was freaking out about it earlier
    him- you didn't tell X did you?
    me- No i just told her i needed to go home and she was already up getting ready for work (lie she knows i called her 30 mins before she needed to get up to save me while i was losing it)
    him- gotcha still could have waken my ass up prick, JK. Let me know if you need anything i'm going back to bed
    me- lol k thanks man ill ttyl

so it's semi resolved i guess... but now im still in a sticky situation. I told X not to tell anyone and i assume she understands the delicate situation as she is a lesbian and has been in this situation before. But i'm still worried when it comes down to it there are gonna be problems... like it may all be talk. i figure it is better he thinks it is still just his secret i guess i feel bad for saying anything but i needed to talk to someone and she was the only one who i could think of to help me out where i was with no car, no jacket, and no place to sleep because i was freaking out about going back to my friends room.

idk i didn't even enjoy it that much because of all the fucking stress accompanying it and now i'm in my "what if it happens again" zone thinking up 10000 scenarios for how it will play out from tragic to perfect and it drives me crazy that i feel like i have no control over it...

6. xequar

^^ I'm glad to hear it's at least partially resolved.

I will say, though, that your friend is "straight" (with exaggerated air quotes), not straight. Straight men don't want to fuck around with their guy friends. What you do with that thought is completely up to you, and it's probably worth seeing how everything plays out over the next few days.

7. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

It sounds like he really cares for you, that is something to be very happy for.

However...
    He is in serious denial and so far in the closet he is finding Christmas presents.

What you did was not taking advantage of, it was drunken folly. The two of you were not in a good state of mind to make any decision that would have any benefit.

Next time I would consider not drinking. Alcohol does nothing other than make things escalate and conflict. There was obviously already a problem with the boundary that the two of you have, because well lets be honest.... friends.dont.flirt.with.one.another.
    All drinking did was remove that boundary, and cause trouble.

Sorry for being blunt,
    ~Tyler

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm inclined to agree somewhat with Tyler here. I won't go so far as to say he's definitely gay, but it seems pretty likely.

The fact that he's fooled around with other guys before, and the fact that *he* came on to you, and on top of that was encouraging you to drink more, as well as how he handled the situation after-the-fact indicates, to me, that this was not an accident or a drunken misstep, but something he genuinely wanted to happen, and he, like you, is afraid that he screwed things up with what he did.

He is likely struggling with some pretty serious denial and self-hatred because of his familial upbringing, not to mention the general lack of open acceptance in the Army.

I honestly believe he might actually be poking his head out of the closet... and reaching for you, probably because he trusts you AND he may be attracted to you. The fact that he mentioned it this morning, and cares about your friendship, and the fact that he's done stuff with guys before... I think there's an opening for you to have a conversation with him.

If you're inclined to do that, I'd approach it delicately but maybe say something like "Hey, I want you to know that what happened last night feel good, and I'm OK with it, I just didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of you because we were drunk. But I'm wondering if maybe you are exploring yourself a little bit, and if so, if maybe you would you like to talk about it a little?"

That gives him a safe opening. I'd place a pretty large wager that he's struggling and would love the opportunity to talk about it. You might also suggest he join EC, and focus on the fact that this isn't a "gay" place, but a place where people straight AND gay come to examine their own feelings and help themselves figure out what's going on. Or... he could join and just ask to talk to one of the advisors.

If you decide to tell him about EC, let us know and one of the staff can move this thread out of public view so he doesn't run into it :slight_smile:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>"last night as shitty as it sounds, that stays between you and me".

You understand how funny this is, right? He's the "straight" guy, you're the one who's out to everybody, but he promises to keep your encounter a secret. Uh, wouldn't HE be the one who would want this kept under wraps? :slight_smile:

You should be fine. You might want to go ahead and figure out what to do when this happens again. Note that I said when, not if. Because I have a feeling that a few months down the road, next time there's a heavy-drinking party, the same sort of thing will start playing out. And it'll be up to you to decide what to do. The smart money, of course, is to steer clear. When you feel him making the sloppy play for you, laugh it off. Perhaps smile and say (quietly) "You don't want a replay of last time, do you?" Or perhaps you DO want another round with him. Just know it'll probably be another drunk
    and less-than-stellar round, and it'll be something you might be able to mention a bit when he sobers up, but it won't be something he will want anybody to know about. If you're cool with all that, then go ahead. But again, the smart money is to steer clear.

And what about the whole friends thing? Easy - just never bring it up unless he does. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Beachboi92

ok so i sort of wish i had an opportunity to read the responses i got because i was pretty much a mess all day freaking out about how i thought this would screw everything up and how i felt like his drunken words where just that and when i saw him again it would all go south. So my friend knew i was upset and finally got it out of me, i trust her completely with the information and she is one of the best people for advice i know so she convinced me to txt him and say we needed to talk face to face and clear the air. So here is the jist of that experience.

1) Denial is the word of the day, he wants to pretend it never happened (his words) and continue on as if it never occurred
    2) He blamed it on the alcohol on his sex drive etc said that wasn't something he is ok with doing
    3) He claimed to not remember very much of it (i could tell he was lying on this one)
    4) He made sure to play up his "straightness" trying to go on about business as usual with a little bit of extra "so this hot girl" talk and such. I at least made him stick to that reinforcing the fact that we are still hanging out later in the week.

He sort of tried to blow off one of those plans we made which was another fun time drinking at the barracks.... i doubt that will get blown off as my other friends will likely invite me

Now i'm just trying to give him some space and act normal i guess... he is still a tad awkward with me but it seems to be about as bad as the occasional times when he got flirty with me and got weird for a couple weeks.

Now i'm just worried about whats going to happen if he decides its a good idea to just bury that stuff. Also from what i know i am only the second guy hes been involved with but i think i was the most involved he has been with a guy.

I wanted to put myself out there as "hey if you want to talk about it then you can talk to me" but he seemed so set on wanting to ignore it all that i worried if i did that he would push away to get away from it all and i'd lose him.

Right now i'm just of the persuasion to let the cards fall where they fall and start working on getting over any high hopes i had and trying to get it back to a functional friendship, which is proving to be a challenge, i am still worried about losing him as a friend and i don't know what i am going to do next time if we find ourselves in a similar situation.

i doubt it will happen again unless we are both drunk and even then there is a huge likelihood that he will opt for me to stay in someone else's room. But if i do end up in the same situation i honestly don't know if i will be able to say no cause i honestly want to do it and i honestly don't want to at the same time. I know the damage that it can and probably will cause but the optimist in me wants to think it may be ok.

Idk i hope i'm taking the right approach all i know is we seem ok and i do feel better upon seeing him face to face and i think it will be easy for him to go back to acting normally to me but i don't know if i'll be able to be the same way.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your approach is fine. No need to push things. What you *might* do, if it seems you have an opening to do so, is to just say "Hey, if you ever decide you'd like to talk about what that was like for you, I'd be open, but if you're comfortable with just letting it be, that's fine too" or something like that... that way you plant the seed and let him know it isn't an issue if he wants to talk further.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say play by his rules. It never happened, and never will again (until next time). I'll reiterate making a plan for when the rerun occurs.

Lex

13. CrazyAntFarm

I know this is going to be difficult, but you have to resist "fooling around" with him again. I wish you'd resisted the first time because now you have told others about the encounter, and although you trust them, situations like this can always come back to bite you.

As someone who's been on both sides of this situation, I can tell that your friend is def acting like someone who's in denial. Men in denial slip up at times, but will do everything they can to separate from anything or anyone that can out them. It's even worse that you're friends because you may have possibly destroyed that friendship by having sex with him and by telling others about it.

These situations are tricky, but you have to allow him to come to terms with this on his own. I agree with Lex- offer your support and then act like it didn't happen for now. If he comes onto you again, resist it. Do not give him what he wants cause that will only contribute to his guilt and make things worse. If he really likes you, it would help motivate him to be honest and come out as long as you don't give in to him now.

#13 CrazyAntFarm, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  14. xequar

This. We already know he's actually gay, but you gotta play on his terms. Play along, and figure out how it goes *when* he decides he wants a little more action that he can blame on booze.

15. Beachboi92

well so far 2 people besides me know. One is in the Navy and also a friend of his and a lesbian and i know i can trust her i'd trust her with my life. The other i've talked to and she understands the seriousness of the situation and is also friends with him and wants to look out for his best interest. I made sure she understood that this is the kind of thing people have killed themselves over when it got out i trust her.

I was really drunk when it happened the problem is i was also literally smack dab in the middle of a scenario i'd almost expected or hoped to happen at one point in our relationship... the thing was i'd convinced myself very thoroughly that it wouldn't earlier on in our friendship as i did have a tiny crush on him like 6+ months ago, in the forbidden fruit school girl crush way xD

I'm definitely waiting for him to come to me about stuff or the next scenario like this in which to put myself in the role of someone he can talk to about it. And i've thought about it enough and am confident that i will be able to stop myself from doing anything stupid like this again.

I'm still dealing with some of my own issues with it all and it has got me a little down but i'm gonna ask my mom to make me an appt with my councilor i use to see under the guise of a recommended yearly mental health check up so i can deal with my stuff and get some professional advice on how to proceed given the delicate situation. Every day since then has been a little better right now i'm just trying to do things to keep my mind off it because scenes of that night keep coming back into my head whenever i'm not thinking of something else...

16. CrazyAntFarm

Sounds like you really care about the friendship, and it sounds like your friend cares about you. The fact that he hooked up with you of all people, someone he personally knows, means that he may be on the brink of being honest. But just try not to push him.

When I was deep in the closet, I would never ever sleep with a guy that was openly gay, and especially not a friend, even if I was attracted to him. Since he did with you, it at least means, he trusts you (unless you wanna blame it on a-a-a-a-alcohol, lol).

Anyway, keep us updated on how things work out in this situation.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I'm definitely waiting for him to come to me about stuff or the next scenario like this in which to put myself in the role of someone he can talk to about it.

The thing is - I just don't see this happening. It may, of course, and if it does, definitely be supportive and lend a friendly ear. But it's far more likely that he'll simply be your straight-straight-STRAIGHT friend who will put the moves on you if he feels he's consumed enough alcohol to plausibly deny any same-sex attraction afterwards. In short, you're far more likely to see a rerun of what happened at the party than any actual "progress" in him coming to grips with his sexuality.

Lex

18. Beachboi92

i'm not sure how to go about asking my mom to let me see the councilor... i used to go regularly but only when i was really depressed, and she wasn't so keen on it when i brought up the benefits of a yearly psych check up.

I don't feel comfortable telling her the events of the night more so because drinking was involved and i also don't want her to think i'm all depressed again. Also i know the co-pay on that stuff could be steep but i don't know and would make the appt myself but i'm afraid there will be a co-pay and then i will be stuck and she will figure out. So i could use some help there, i was thinking maybe i could go and ask what the co-pay would be but i remember it was always different when i used to go. But i really do want a professional opinion on how to proceed because i do worry how it could turn out and think a trained professional would give the best advice.

On a semi- related note i can't stop thinking about this stuff. It is consuming my mind and every second i'm not mentally occupied i am thinking of what if's and replaying the night over and over. It is becoming very stressful for multiple reasons.
    1) I hate picturing some of those better moments and having to tell myself that it can't/won't happen again and stuff just won't work out the way i wish it could
    2) The what if's are worrying me because i'm playing every scenario i can think of uncontrollably from somehow it getting out and him killing himself to we live happily ever after and then i have to remind myself to stop thinking up bullshit and it gets me down.

Any suggestions appreciated

19. Beachboi92

correction: suggestions needed

20. Eleanor Rigby

If you've been seing a counselor before, maybe you don't have too much explanations to give to your mother.
    Just tell her that you feel the need to talk to your counselor again about issues you're still having.
    In case she asks what it is about, you also can tell her that the point of talking to a counselor is to be able to talk about things you don't feel comfortable to discuss with anyone else.
    I hope it helps a little.
    Take care, Cécile