1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made my "friends" uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by givenchy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. givenchy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was talking with some friends the other day at school and someone began talking about people's legs and who had the nicest ones, just as an observation like " ___ has really nice legs, I'm so jealous"?" and someone else said "yea they really are nice omg but what about ____'s??" whatever thats cool but when I said that a girl had great legs they all were like "Oh yea I guess so but you're gay that makes it a bit weird dont ya think" and "well this conversation got uncomfortable quickly" etc so what the hell?? I kinda laughed it off at the time bc im very non-confrontational but as I thought about it more, it upset me.
    I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days and it makes me really angry?? and sad?? It wasn't even in a sexual or "gay" manner, just like their comments, it was purely observational. My sexuality should not have even been a factor in this conversation?? it was not relevant at all? so why bring it up? I kinda stopped talking to them as much since if I make them that uncomfortable I may as well stop hanging out with them.
    Am I overreacting? I really don't think I am, it was pretty rude and hurtful. I don't know how to deal with it tbh apart from not be around them :/

(Sorry this is long, just needed a bit of a rant tbh)

2. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Hey,

My straight friends do this all the time. I only have to mention that I'm going on a date with another guy and they act like they're going to vomit up their lunch.

Honestly it's partly the media (they're usually to blame :slight_smile: )- how often are non-straight sexualities shown on TV, film etc.?

If they are it's always some über-straight-acting, conventionally handsome gay couple and never a camp guy or butch lesbian (unless it's for comedy value)

What I'm trying to say is that it's NOT YOU, IT'S THEM. Straight people like my mom and dad simply don't know any LGBT people or anything ABOUT LGBT people. Humans fear the unknown and it's the same unknown that can lead to misunderstandings when 2 different cultures meet.

Umm, that really doesn't help does it, but I hope it explains (well maybe I got it wrong completely!) the WHY of your friends' reactions. Don't censor yourself too much- the more visible LGBT folks are the more comfortable people will become. Easier said than done- I'm still taking my first steps in making casual comments in front of my friend group of straight lads XD

givenchy likes this.
  3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sorry but y’all need better friends. My straight guy friends encourage me to get out there and meet guys. They tell me I’m good looking, and we make jokes back and forth about all kinds of stuff including sexuality.

If they really are your friends like you’re actually close then I think you should talk with them and let them know how their comments make you feel.

givenchy likes this.