1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love my best friend, but what am I to him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jamescool, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jamescool

I'm heterosexual and panromantic, which means I just love people I love regardless of their gender but still sexually attracted to females.

I have a best friend whom I have met in school since less than a year. We became best friends in about a month or so and this is the first time I'm experiencing a friendship this fast. As we are really close, I started to love him. I want to hug him, cuddle him, spend every single moment with him, help him whenever he needs, etc.

Although we have a really great friendship, I can see the differences between our friendship and his friendships with others. We would tease each other, hit each other, get close to each other and have a lot of body contacts, care for each other, always being lovely. He also gets jealous when other people get really close to me, and will do something to "grab" me back. We talk a lot too, and would call or text each other outside the school. I have told him that I love him, and he has done so too, but I don't think we took each other seriously.

However, he does act totally different when others are around. He acts like a man, talks about girls and about his crush, which he has talked about it with me before (when I first knew him) but tries to avoid this topic eventually. He does still desire to have a relationship though, which is pretty sure that he's completely straight. He is just another person when he's with me, and will show a different side of him when there's totally no other people around. He is fine when others say that we are lovely too, which I'm not fond of it as he might think that it is a joke.

I have a few honest questions to ask: What do I mean to him? Is he not straight? Am I just fulfilling his desire for a relationship?

Thanks.:icon_wink

2. killswitch0029

He could be straight and maybe naturally be a touchy/emotional person, which isn't really "acceptable" by male standards and explaining why he's doing it when no one else is around. He could feel comfortable enough around you to carry out this way.

On the other hand he might not necessarily be straight. His behavior could possibly imply that, but you can't really know for sure 100% just based off observation.

3. jamescool

Thanks a lot for the reply!

May I know more about the touchy/emotional thing and why it is not "acceptable" by male standards?

I'm still really confused why does he avoid topics about his crush or girls which other people usually talk when he's with me. Could it be because he noticed that I have feelings for him? Or is he just trying to blend in with other guys (as they talk about girls and stuffs most of the time)?

#3 jamescool, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I moved this thread out of the Coming Out Advice subforum because the main topic appears to be your relationship with your friend.

5. jamescool

Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong section. :slight_smile:
    I'm quite new haha.

6. killswitch0029

As for the touchy thing: by male standards, males are supposed to be... well, masculine. Masculinity is associated with being tough, liking girls, etc. Being touchy and emotional is seen as being not so tough and more feminine, completely going against how men should be.

As for why he avoids those certain subjects.... it may be possible he low-key noticed your feelings and just doesn't bring them up out of respect. He might have some sort of feelings for you but doesn't want to bring them up in fear of making things awkward. He could just be naturally private about those things and just talks about them in front of people to avoid backlash from the other guys for not being "manly".

These are just some possibilities. Realistically the only way to know for sure would be directly asking him but..... it could come off as offensive and that might not be the best course of action. I'd say just let things take their course and eventually you'll come to a definitive answer, whether he's straight or not.

Hope I helped, good luck! :slight_smile:

#6 killswitch0029, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. jamescool

Thanks for helping me buddy, you've helped me a lot, at least some answers that lead to possibilities for me!

Yeah I agree with you, he is not tough but always acts like he is. Sometimes he also jokes about how tougher he is than I am. I'm actually tough, but when I'm with him, I would like him to be tougher than me as it seems that he enjoys being the "tougher guy" and takes me as a "non-tough guy", and this is also why I'm afraid that I'm actually an alternative.

I'm also in the fear of getting backlash too, although I'm a panromantic, as it's actually under the same LGBT umbrella. When I say I'm heterosexual panromantic, people just don't care. They will just take you as a homosexual and homoromantic, it's kinda sad..