1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like my friend but I don’t know if I should ever tell her

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is very honourable that you want to spare her any pain, discomfort and awkwardness, I totally get that, however you could also be denying her the ultimate happiness if she did feel the same about you. I know it is horrible to see friends or people you care for get hurt but I also think the hard times in life that we suffer make the good times even sweeter.

Searching2022 and AnxiousReader like this.
  2. Drowning806

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This reminds me a lot on how i approached my heterosexual relationships or attempts in them prior to me accepting being gay.
    In therapy i worked a lot on what my own feelings, desires and needs are, and while i am still an empathic person, i now can allow myself to have needs and to voice them.
    I always felt an obligation to be my best possible self and to make everyone happy around me, extremely afraid to do any harm to anyone, leading to me completely disregarding myself.

I do not want to accuse you of this in any way, it is very noble to be empathic and to care about others, but healthy people can care about themselves. And so everyone should. There is no need to save anyone and no kind of obligation to be considerate and thoughtful at all times.
    Maybe looking at your own needs, and what you want, and being egoistical could be something that will give you a lot more freedom and satisfaction in this situation and beyond it.

What i noticed when doing so, is that most people do not even have the same needs that i tried to protect, it was simply what people had taught me how i should behave, and by disregarding my own needs nobody gained anything of it in the end. My relationships did even improve since being more aware of what i want and i enjoy spending time with others more, both leading to me even be more popular, feeling more liked and liking myself more.
    Maybe, if you allow yourself to follow your needs and desires, without putting the people you value at all times before what you deep down in your heart want, you will even have the chance to notice that others could very well enjoy the things you do an propose to fulfill your needs and desires.

mnguy and AnxiousReader like this.
  3. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I definitely have always felt to some extent that I need to put other’s needs above my own and that what I want is not as important. :/ I guess on some level I have trouble believing anyone could want me and that someone would choose me. I’ve been abandoned by friends, people I confessed feelings to, etc. and I think that has convinced me that I’m disposable to people and so to avoid getting hurt I feel like I need to not let on how I really feel. I thought people in the past maybe had feelings for me but they didn’t and I was really embarrassed I had read them so wrong. I’m afraid I guess of that happening here too. I don’t really know what I’d say if she turned me down. I wouldn’t want her to feel guilty for not liking me but I’m sure it would be obvious all over my face how disappointed I am and I don’t want her to feel guilty for not reciprocating. I don’t want her to feel like she has to like me out of pity if she doesn’t.

Drowning806 likes this.
  4. Drowning806

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry about the bad experiences you have made, you are not disposable and you deserve to be loved and accepted for who you are. There is no shame in having desires and needs even if they contradict or conflict with those of others.

I had a similar way of coping, with not feeling safe to be myself around others, by being quite inhibited and formal in interaction. Ironically exactly this had led to me feeling more rejected and not being able to truly connect to others, since i was not emotionally present but instead putting on a front of over-correctness in order to protect myself from being attacked or rejected for who i really am.
    It was a long process for me, and i would not have known how to get out of this without my therapist, but now i am very comfortable to be myself around others and i have found real friends, who also respect my needs and try to align their needs with mine.
    I used to get shamed excessively for having emotions, needs and desires and i carried the shame from my upbringing into my adult relationships, so far that i even felt judged and ashamed for things that others did not even notice.
    Breaking out of this can be really challenging. What helped me a lot was voicing my needs, desires and the things i was ashamed of loudly, more intimate things i had to practice voicing in front of myself first.

Sometimes we also feel subconsciously drawn to people who reinforce our bad self-image and the kind of behaviors that do not do us good, so it can be that your negative thoughts and assumptions will get validated by your crush.
    This has nothing to do with your value as a person though, and you do not have to prove the world or her that you are love-able or worthy.
    Maybe what you have been taught in your past, simply does put you in a bad position, where there is no way for you to truly win, and you will need to address this first and find and develop new behavior patterns that are more in tune with what you really need and deserve as a human being.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  5. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am also really sorry for your terrible experiences. *hugs* I know from experience how feeling like you have to mute your own feelings can be debilitating and dehumanizing. I’m so sorry people made you feel that way. You seem like a wonderful and compassionate person who deserves love and respect. You definitely shouldn’t be ashamed of having needs! I truly hope you meet someone who is good to you and treats you like you deserve.

Drowning806 likes this.
  6. Drowning806

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much :relaxed:
    I can only give these compliments back, i was initially very confused when i had read your thread here to be honest, since to me it simply does not add up.
    Such a good looking, empathetic, caring and reflective woman having so many bad experiences with other people and her feelings not being reciprocated.
    I do not know what kind of excuse my repressed wanna be straight self would have found to not try to be in a relationship with you, but maybe that one would have finally pushed me onto the realization that i indeed was not into women at all.

If i was you, i would still go for your crush, but please keep in mind, that whatever happens is not a sign of you being not lovable or desirable, but maybe simply a result of you not being used to being treated the way you deserve, and subconsciously inviting situations that will make you feel like this was how its supposed to be.

#46 Drowning806, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  7. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much, that is extremely kind! I really appreciate that more than I can say. I do hope that you also find someone worthy of you.

Drowning806 likes this.
  8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just wanted to say I've read through your thread. You sound like a great person and anyone should be proud to have someone like you as a partner. I hope you're feeling better. If you still need any advice on how to test the water with your friend I'm happy to share my ideas. And I absolutely wouldn't worry about the age gap. With two women it matters so much less than between a man and a woman. I first met my boyfriend when I was 18 and he was 28, and he was incredibly hesitant about the age gap despite us clicking so well. We kept in touch and got to know each other and spent a lot of time together before anything happened precisely because of that. Quite a few people were suspicious of him at the beginning but nobody is anymore 6 years later. At the end of the day though, it really doesn't matter what other people think as long as you're both adults, whatever the age difference is.

9. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for responding. I did end up actually telling my friend how I felt back in June. Initially it seemed like it was going well because she wanted to try dating and I was very enthusiastic, but then like two weeks later, before we could even go on a first real date, she said she thinks she was confused and that she only thought of me as a friend. :/ I’ve been dealing with the hurt of that for a while now and I keep asking myself what I did wrong. Unfortunately I’m still as in love with her as ever so it’s been difficult.

10. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At this point I really wish there was some way I could just continue being a really good friend to her and get past the awkwardness so that maybe, I can show her how I could add value to her life and maybe she might end up changing her mind and giving me another chance.

11. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you did nothing wrong, its not easy to get out of the friend zone. Just because it doesn't happen on the first attempt, doesn't mean it'll never happen. Are you 'on the market' in the meantime or holding out for this girl?

12. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly? I’m holding out. I don’t know why I am this way but I’m actually not attracted to a lot of people/not attracted to a lot of people very easily. I need to feel comfortable with someone and that doesn’t happen often enough for me to want a relationship. :/

13. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I’d just rather be alone if I can’t be with her because I don’t have feelings for anyone the way I do her.

14. BirdWatcher87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Anxious!

I was reading through the thread and you sound like a really sweet, gentle, and kind person. I’ve known people that have been in your same spot and I can imagine how difficult it can be, especially when you have feelings for a particular person. I’ve even had crushes where they found out my feelings for them and I felt like maybe I did something wrong. I kept believing and still believe today that there is someone out there for me, just the right person.

I know if it’s her someday or someone else, they’re going to love you for who you are and know how worthy you are. They’ll see your heart and how much value you bring to them. Keep being the awesome and strong person you are and I know things will fall into place!

We’re always here if you need anything! :slight_smile:

JT1999 and AnxiousReader like this.
  15. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it. I really hope things work out too.

BirdWatcher87 likes this.
  16. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like it would be a lot easier for you if it was your friend making the moves. I would just try and make yourself look as attractive as possible the next time you see her, go all out! And if you compliment her, she'll maybe compliment you back and then start to think what she might be missing out on. If you have a good friendship and you know she is into women too, the basics are already in place. You just need to get her to think of you in that way and not as just a friend. Think how a straight girl would act if she wanted a male friend to start fancying her. Compliments, smiles, fiddle with your hair, orient yourself towards her, subtle touches all work on guys and work on women the exact same way. Good luck!