1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know I’d be happier out but I can’t bring myself to do it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DC10704, Jun 24, 2022.

1. DC10704

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone I’m 31 y/o white male and I’m in the closet and have been for the majority of my life. I’ve been attracted to guys since middle school but because of bullying I suppressed everything and have never been comfortable enough with myself to be myself. Seeing teens today coming out and being happy and free makes me feel like I waited to long. That important moments in my life have been mirrored in deception and that I’ll never be ready to accept myself or express myself to others.

I just don’t know what to do. I’m afraid of what the repercussions could be in my life

2. Unidentified

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I share your concerns and observations (though trans, not gay - in my case). At 50 I wonder if it will be greater trouble than what I gain. But at 50 I also realize it is never too late to look at who your authentic self is. I haven’t come out - so I don’t know what best advice to give - except to say taking only a few steps towards my authentic self has so far been more rewarding than I ever expected. However you choose to complete your journey, you are not alone in feeling unsure about the next step … I hope you find your path.

Prisma and mnguy like this.
  3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I liked both boys and girls at a young age I came out at 29 im 33 I agree love seeing teens today being there true selves.

Prisma likes this.
  4. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Too late at 31? Nope, not at all. It's just safer for people to come out younger now, hence why you see kids and teens coming out sooner now. (And even some of them supress it due to bullying or the way they were raised- I did, so deep I had no idea or awareness of my sexual orientation or gender identity until I was seventeen. I should've known six years beforehand at least.)

What consequences are you afraid of?

#4 TinyWerewolf, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Prisma likes this.
  5. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is never too late. I will turn 49 next month. I came only two months ago. Best thing that I ever did for myself.

Prisma likes this.
  6. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a lot of us middle aged feel like that. It's the fear of the unknown that keeps me in the closet. I have an idea of how family would react. The older members would not be happy whereas the younger members would be more accepting. The reaction would simply mirror society in that respect. It seems silly that sexuality in young people today is far more wildly accepted than it is for a middle aged or older people, yet apart from age, there is no difference. Sexuality doesn't have a cut off age but society seems to act like it sure does in my opinion.

I believe in some ways I definitely would be happier being out but in other ways, not. Its risks vs rewards, pros vs cons and eventually the pros will out weigh the cons. I feel something will change that will shift that balance and that most likely will come in the form of a partner, as I think it would be unfair to him to stay in the closet and keep the relationship a secret. It wouldn't last long being built on that foundation.

I believe you need to take some time and learn to accept and love yourself for who you are. There's nothing wrong with being gay. There have been gay people since the dawn of time and there will still be gay people at the end of time. I've always believed that the only choice you have sexuality wise is acceptance. You don't choose your sexuality, you choose to accept it or not. I believe self acceptance is the first step of many in one's sexuality journey. Acceptance doesn't mean coming out. It means no longer fighting yourself and if the fight is gone, you can the spend more energy in the things that matter, moving forward, towards the day where you can openly be who you are. Good things take time. Being in the closet doesn't make you any less gay.

You cannot change the things in your past so there's no point dwelling on them anymore. Draw a line in the sand and think, better late than never. Being late to the party doesn't mean you're not at the party. :slight_smile:

I wish you well in your journey.

trailrider, Prisma, Joolz66 and 2 others like this.
  7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    DC10704.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****It's NEVER too late! I was out for a few years when I was in college. Then the death of my boyfriend/FWB/Lover/would have been husband died suddenly. That and the reaction of his parents who didn't know that we were gay caused me to turn my back on my sexuality for the next 40 years. The building depression because I was trying to ignore my sexuality nearly destroyed me until I finally accepted that I am and always have been gay in 2014 at the age of 64. The years since have been some of the best of my life as I now live without the depression and self-hate that was my everyday companion for so long. As I said, it's never too late to begin living a life that's free of hiding who you really are, free of watching every word you say, free of being careful what you wear and how you sit. All of those were things that I had to always be careful of...I didn't want anyone to suspect the truth! I had to always appear to be straight...to be masculine...not to like the wrong music or musicians... and the list goes on and on. Now I'm free of all of that. I can be who I really am and not worry about what anyone else thinks! If they don't like it...it's their problem! Don't misunderstand me, I'm not an over-the-top flamboyant, drag-queen! (there's nothing wrong with either of those) I just a regular guy who happens to be gay. Most of the time people around me don't pickup on it...but hey, every once in a while my inner drag queen will appear out of nowhere and really shock people! :old_big_grin: The whole point here is that, while the actual moment of coming out can be really difficult, it is so very much worth it to be able to be yourself and to stop acting for the rest of your life! :old_smile:

The rest of this post is some helpful hints about Empty Closets...We are very glad that you have found us!

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. In particular you may want to check out the forum that is titled "Coming Out Advice”, there are people there who have dealt with some of the same kind of issues that could be challenging you.

When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can post a question on my Profile Page or send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

Prisma and PrettyBoyBlue like this.
  8. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @DC10704, I have recently restarted my coming out at age 29 and I identify so much with everything you said. The time and environment I grew up in (and maybe you as well) was so much more tolerant than previous generations.. and yet... I couldn't bring myself to do it when I went to college and instead, promptly catapulted myself back into the closet for the past 10 years. It makes me both really happy, and really sad, to see so many beautiful young people who are seemingly so fearless. I know that may not be the complete picture, but I feel like they are a lot braver than I have ever been.

So with that, I am rather short on advice. But I will say just take it one day at a time, one problem at a time... It's taken some time to get to this point, and it will take some time to work through it. As sad as I feel sometimes, I am so thankful that we have all made this decision to start, because that's what matters! Nobody ever guaranteed life would be perfect, and I have no doubt that we would have different struggles in an alternate universe. But this is the struggle that we have right now, and I'm trying to make the most of it. I hope you can start on that process with us and do the same!!!

It's never too late friend :slight_smile:

#8 PrettyBoyBlue, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Prisma and DC10704 like this.
  9. DC10704

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I knows it stupid and all but idk how my friends and family would react. I feel like they might be supportive but there are always side comments and things that make me feel like they wouldn’t be. And I love my friends and family and I feel it would be worse to lose what I have for something that I’ve never had. I grew up with no friends and when I finally was able to make some towards the end of high school I didn’t want to have that feeling again of being so alone

Prisma likes this.
  10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not stupid at all. I have similar fears like you have and I fully understand this. It's all hard, but remember you choose your own family. There will be accepting people and unaccepting people and first reactions won't always be what they really think. Sometimes people also need time to come to terms with this. You can try and write them a letter on how you feel and about your fears. A letter gives them time to think things through.

Prisma likes this.
  11. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not uncommon to experience these feelings when you haven't had the opportunity to come out at a young age; speaking both from experience and from the many stories I've read like yours, the "what ifs" and "if only's" play havoc on many older LGBT people. I won't say it's easy to overcome these feelings (or that you will necessarily overcome them in full), but I do find it gets easier if you let yourself feel them and while you do, you work through them by going over all the reasons you didn't back then and hesitate to now.

For instance, you can reflect on things like the nature of your relationship with your parents, siblings, or other close family members. Examine your friendships, the dynamic between you and your peers in school, the kinds of things you might have heard any of these people--or even complete strangers--say about homosexuality. Oftentimes, the biggest roadblocks to coming out are the negative viewpoints we've internalized from others, or the messages we've seen/heard in media.

Take your time to think about how coming out might impact your important relationships: do you believe your loved ones will take issue with it? What have they said/done to make you think so? If they haven't said/done anything, where does this fear come from? Do you feel ready to come out at all, or does it feel like an obligation? If the former, is there anyone you trust, perhaps someone else you know to be part of the LGBT that you can come out to?

Prisma and PrettyBoyBlue like this.
  12. Artoffact

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel for you. At 34, happily married to a woman and I have two beautiful daughters. I don't know how coming out would look. Would it change how people look at me? Probably. But how would people act towards them? That's what worries me.

Prisma likes this.
  13. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was hard for me to come out to my wife did it 4 years ago

Prisma likes this.
  14. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im in my 50s and coming out to a few people in the past few years , but feel better for it. The hardest was to my husband and adult son. We welcome you

15. Artoffact

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have came out to my wife, but that's it. When our kids are old enough to understand I will tell them as well but nobody else knows.

16. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who all else do you want to know ?

17. Artoffact

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My wife has asked me that same question and I don't have an answer. I just don't like being mid conversation about something regarding my sexuality and having to cut it off when we get around people.