1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just had a surreal dream - what do you think it means?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Leo22, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Leo22

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just woke up from a bad dream that could've gone a lot worse but it was still bad... Sorry if it's quite long I've done my best to summarise it..

I dreamt about coming out as bi to mum. She says it's a phase and that it'll be fine. I tell her I'm old enough to know its not a phase and then she flips, saying that it's wrong to like men and 'you'll be in trouble if your dad finds out'. I confirm to her I like both men and women and then she storms out of my room crying... Dad gets home from work later and tells me I should've told them when they're both together so we can work things out and that he's disappointed because they want grandkids. I explain to him what being bi means and he's surprisingly calm about it and doesn't seem angry at all - just a little bit disappointed but that's it.

To be fair the dream did end on a good note but it was scary when my mum flipped and she started to cry. It felt so real. I've never had a coming out dream before so I woke up confused after and started to cry - and I rarely cry!

I've already come out to my friends, a few close cousins and my brother but not my parents. Not sure what to make of this dream except if I do come out to them in the future I should tell them together.

They're quite conservative and religious although in real life I thought my mum would be accepting and my dad would be the one that flipped.

What do you all think it means? Am I stressing too much over a dream? Thanks in advance!

2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that it's probably just an anxiety dream. I get dreams like that all the time, they don't generally mean anything except that I'm stressed out and worried about something. I think it's probably just a reflection of your feeling nervous about coming out to your parents. In general I think that if you have one parent who you think will be less accepting it's better to tell them together so that the other parent can help diffuse tension.