1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just blacked out in my friend's kitchen.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Twisted777, May 19, 2017.

1. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Long story short, I've had a few slightly worrying symtoms for a few years and just sort of ignored them - hand tremors (occasionally foot, eyelid and even lip tremors, all on the same side), sudden sharp headaches, dizziness and recently memory loss. Also, very occasionally...blackouts.

In the last three weeks or so I've noticed them getting worse, particularly the dizziness. It comes on randomly and is getting more frequent, and (worryingly) more intense. It starts with my hearing dropping out and being replaced by tinitus - it's like unplugging a landline phone, the sound quickly fades out and all I can hear is 'beeeeeeep'. Then I feel like the room is spinning and my head is really light, almost like it's disconnected from my body, and like my eyes are floating.

I had a bad headache all day yesterday (8am until 10pm), and today I had all the symptoms above, but the worst I've ever had them - with some nausea thrown in for good measure. I'm at a friend's house, he went upstairs, I went to get a glass of water. I drank it, put the glass in the sink (thank f**k I wasn't still holding it) and turned to walk back into the living room. I took about three steps, then my hearing dropped...

I knew what was coming (it's the third time this week, at least sixth or seventh this month). I felt the room spinning and my body felt like it was getting heavier, until I dropped to my knees - as in, I literally couldn't stand upright anymore. Then I was doubled over fighting not to vomit on my friend's floor, then I must've blacked out becuse I woke up no more than five minutes later, face down on the floor - I could hear my two friends talking upstairs, but it sounded really muffled for a minute or two.

This all happened about twenty minutes ago, and I thought I'd write it here so I don't forget about it (I had to go back and add the bit about the recent onset of memory loss, quite fittingly, I'd forgotten to include it). I'm just sat here with my hand in full on tremor-mode, and my eyes occasionally flickering side to side - my hearing actually went a bit funny, and I thought it was happening again. Luckily it didn't.

I'm going to book a doctor's appointment ASAP, whatever is wrong with me is getting worse alarmingly quickly.

I'm in the UK and haven't ever actually booked a doctor's appointment before, I'm just going to ring them and see what happens, do I have to call really early in the day? The NHS website didn't really say.

P.S. Any ideas what the hell might be wrong with me? I'm hoping it's just an ear infection, but the internet is convinced it's a brain tumour.

#1 Twisted777, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I was you I'd skip the Drs and head straight for a&e.

If you want to go ahead at your Drs ring first thing Monday morning and ask for an emergency appointment.

Hope they work out what it is asap

3. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm trying to stay calm about this, but I'm genuinely really scared - I just told one of my friends and he just sort of shrugged.

4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great friend!!!! Hopefully it's something relatively simple like migraines.

I really don't understand why your friends didn't phone an ambulance when you blacked out.

Please consider going to the local hospital tonight if you can get there. If I was one of your friends I would insist on it and accompany you.

5. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They were both upstairs when it happened and didn't come down until about ten minutes after.

I feel alright-ish now. I'm laid on the sofa and I'm just going to try to sleep. I still feel a bit sick, but I don't think I'm that desperate for medical attention as to go to A&E.

Thanks anyway.

6. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should go because you blacked out and b3cause of your worsening symptoms.

Promise if anything else happens before Monday you will go to the hospital.

7. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At this point I'm really worried, if anything happens anywhere near as bad as this was, I'm going straight to A&E. This feels serious.

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand you're very worried, and rightfully so. Right now no one really knows what's going on, so let's let medical professionals tackle the issue at hand. Don't try to self diagnose yourself, there's too much going on at once.

Definitely seek medical attention as soon as you can.

Let us know how it goes.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you need to see a doctor for sure. If your symptoms get worse before Monday, I would seek emergency care. You can even let them read this post since you have it written here what has been going on. That way, you know you are not forgetting anything. Like the above poster said, tey not to self-diagnose yourself. Literally everything on webmd ends up leading to cancer somehow..

I really hope that it is nothing serious, but it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

10. You should take yourself to the ER immediately. If it's been happening for a few years, then there could be some underlying health problem that could be serious. The sooner it's caught the easier it will be to treat.

11. Twisted777

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Went to the doctor today - they checked my blood pressure (it's apparently fine) then they looked in my ears and said there's a lot of wax and I need to get them cleaned out (olive oil for a week), we'll see if my symptoms get any better after that.

We only really talked about the actual blackout and the dizziness, I mentioned the other stuff, but they didn't seem too concerned.

Hopefully it's just crap in my ears messing with my sense of balance or something - although I've always had wax build-up in my ears, and I've not passed out in years.

I feel better to have had a professional opinion, although I can easily see myself being back there in about two weeks with the same problem.

12. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not overly impressed with the Drs response however I hope it sorts things out for you.