1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question about American Politics...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Just so you all know, im a complete and total idiot when it comes to politics, and american politics confuse me like crazy.

So i saw a couple online videos of interviews with obama and hilary clinton sperately, and i noticed neither of them said they were for gay "marriage" but instead they planned to put in place "domestic partnerships" or something like that, it could be a bit off.

Anyway, why is it that they are for domestic partnerships but not gay marriage? is there any real difference between the two?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Partnerships and "civil unions" would grant most or all of the basic legal rights granted to heterosexual couples through marriage, it just wouldn't bear the title "marriage" and there would be no public ceremony. Something about letting the states decide for themselves, "would disrupt traditional marriage", "my life would be ruined if John and Steve down the road got hitched", nonsense like that.

3. SkyTears

Also there is the fact that if they go full out saying I support gay marriage they would lose a bunch of supporters. and wander is pretty much on the spot with the civil unions although most civil unions don't give the full 'benefits' that marriage has.

Info on civil union vs gay marriage

#3 SkyTears, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. Alexander

It's because they're either too scared, too proud, or to hypocritical to want to allow full-out gay marriage.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The real difference is marriage is recognized everywhere in the world. Civil Unions or Domestic Partnerships between same-sex couples if granted Nationally would only be recognized in the U.S. I think as time goes on, more of our politicians will come forward supporting marriage equality but right now its too risky. I'd rather have somebody in the White House who will support civil unions than nothing at all.

6. -Michael-

Its a step forward though...

7. Fiorino

I'm sure they're only for civil unions to appease voters who might not vote for them
    were they pro-gay-marriage. Honestly, the more I think about it, denying gay
    people the right to vote is illegal, unconstitional, and pure discrimination.
    The religious bible-thumpers who give the bogus "sanctity of marriage"
    argument are full of crap-the bible says way more stuff against DIVORCE-
    which is legal(but obviously these people are hippocrites who selectively
    read to hear what they want to hear, and only demonize homosexuality
    because, as anything they don't understand, they're afraid of it. They
    act as if gay people are trying to "convert" everyone. Gay isn't a religion!
    Though it should be!). Also, even if god created Adam and Eve, he also created
    gay people (hence "Adam and Steve"), and anyway religion should have
    no business in the government denying rights to it's citizens.
    Being gay is NOT A CHOICE, therefore, denying us the right to
    marry someone of the same sex is discrimination. Honestly, if I'm not
    allowed to marry by the time I find a husband, I'm suing the state (and the
    federal government) if someone else hasn't already done it and suceeded.

8. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummm... obviously people before me have described the difference between civil union and marriage. Obama is for a civil union rather than marriage, because he is supportive of gay people to some extent but he is very religious. So a civil union is basically a way of giving gay people rights without violating the religious principle that marriage is between a man and a woman (and see I thought there was a separation of church and state!). Hillary Clinton is for civil unions for mostly the same reasons, the notion that marriage has always been between a man and a woman but she is still supportive of the GLBT community. Basically, it is that people cannot get away with denying gays entirely, but they could not POSSIBLY imagine the idea of us getting married. I really find this disgusting because I do not believe that I should have to live by another's religious beliefs. There really is not a huge difference between the two, except for the fact that our lifestyle is just WAY too "unnatural" to be considered a marriage!

9. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    *LGBT community lol

10. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like number one the best.

But to be honest, you look unnaturally posed to me in every picture. I think you should relax and then take another picture. :slight_smile: