1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a problem coming out to family and friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idkplease, Sep 9, 2020.

1. idkplease

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I want to be a female it has been a burden to me for about a year now. I don’t have a problem with my body but I believe I will be much happier as a female. I brought up the topic of transgender people to my friends and it was a 50/50 response. My close friends were okay with it but the others were against it. I don’t know about my family I haven’t brought it up. It’s starting to make me feel sick thinking about it. I need to get it out of my system that’s why I’m writing this. So please if anyone does respond it would mean a lot.

2. Andrew7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds like you've had a hard time coming out. It's good that your most important friends were accepting. What makes you feel sick thinking about it, is it the anxiety you feel as a result of the negative responses you got?

Maybe wait a little bit before coming out to family, don't want to overload your emotions too much all at once. This is a good, safe place to help process your thoughts, it was a good step coming here, welcome.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing about coming out to anyone is, how much risk is there and would you be willing to pay whatever price it costs. If it is just being treated as a little strange then that is not so bad. If however you are dependent on them and they might throw you out, can you live with that. Also, could you live estranged from them, which is more important, living as your authentic self or keeping peace in the family? If your family is more accepting though then of course the price will be much easier to pay, if all it is is taking the time to teach them what it all means and getting them used to a new name and pronouns that might be easily worth it.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    idkplease.....Hello and a very big welcome to Empty Closets! There are quite a few sub-forums here on EC and the one titled "Gender Identity and Expression" could be a great place for you! There are folks there that have gone through everything that happens when transitioning MtF and FtM. You could ask questions there and get some great input and support. Give it a try, I think it will really be helpful to you. We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets...and remember...you a part of our LGBTQ+ Family and we do care!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: