1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got referred by my GP today

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IvorySteel, Oct 10, 2016.

1. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Today, I took my first step on the biggest journey of my life.

I've finally let myself accept two simple facts; that I feel much happier and more comfortable being identified as a woman than as a man, and that if I could choose any body to have been born into, it would be a female one. Whether that means I am definitively transgender, or that I will end up transitioning, I don't know, but it's something I need to explore.

So today I registered with my local GP and made an appointment. I felt so nervous I wanted to be sick. But I did it - I asked her for a referral letter to the closest Gender Identity Clinic. I told her that I had been questioning seriously for over a decade and everything I felt.

It went quite well I think. She was not judgemental, though I could tell she was not well versed in the subject. This was a little village GP surgery primarily catering for OAPs. She asked a few questions - what my life situation was, how I'd come to this conclusion, etc. She did put a fair bit of emphasis on my sexuality, seeming a little surprised that I was not interested in men, but I suppose those kind of misconceptions are to be expected.

But the bottom line is - she told me she would send off a referral and get the ball rolling. :grin: I can't believe I'm actually doing this! Excited, but terrified. Let's see where this takes me.

2. Sasu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! I hope everything goes smoothly and you get to where you want to be!