1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so jealous of other men and like I'll never be enough

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, Oct 1, 2022.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me and my friend have a new housemate. On top of her being blindly in love with him, other stuff is making the atmosphere in my home difficult for me right now.

My friend had a chat with him without me to make sure he knew I was gay and to find out if he was homophobic. He said he "Suspected" I was gay and that he isn't homphobic, just hates "The kind of gay people who are loud and really feminine" etc. Hmm, that sure sounds like homophobia to me...

It has upset me because on one hand I still have a lot of shame around not being masculine enough, so I feel ashamed that he could tell I was gay, but I also feel angry (and rightly so, I think) that he only tolerates gay men who conform to the rigid gender roles he loves so much. He also seems to have pretty strict ideas about how women should behave. So basically I'm stuck in a kind of closet again not able to dress or act how I'd like to.

On top of that I also keep comparing myself to him and making myself feel worse. He goes to the gym all the time and won't drink milk or anything with soya in anymore "Because they contain oestrogen and lower your testosterone". I love keeping fit but I don't have huge muscles. He is also good at literally everything. Later tonight I have to do a boardgames evening with them both (I hate playing boardgames...) and I know he'll be perfect at that too.

I feel so inferior in every way compared to him. And my other housemate won't tolerate even the sligthtest criticism of him. Her constantly going on about how good-looking he is is making me feel even worse that usual about how I look.

He does't seem to have a single flaw. It also makes me jealous and annoyed that his family are very well-off. He has had opportunities handed to him on a platter, while I've had to do without. He was obviously raised in a loving environment and praised and it's given him flawless self-confidence. I can't say the same about me.

I also hate myself for being so jealous and bitter, but it's just not fair- we were't given even chances at life, and he'll always be loved and adored by everyone (especially women, who for some weird reason I crave approval from).

#1 lottaotter, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmmm, I'd be a bit unsettled by that. He sounds like one of those idiots who say they "don't mind gay people as long as they don't shove it your face.."

Oh well, sounds like a macho twat..

But the bottom line, I guess, is what is he like as a housemate? Does he greet you with a friendly 'hello' when you come in the door? Does he pay his bills on time? Does he do the washing up? Does he make you a cup of tea if you're in the kitchen together?

In other words you don't have to be friends with someone in a houseshare, as long as you can rub along together.

As for the other stuff - stop comparing, Lottaotter! In my experience, people who, on the surface at least, don't appear to have any flaws, tend to be bundles of neuroses. He may appear to be a swan, but you can bet your house on the fact that there's a lot of frantic paddling going on underneath. That comment about soya alone is verrry revealing about his inner psyche.

Concentrate on yourself and don't waste energy casting envious glances in his direction.

Beth

lottaotter and Rayland like this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Beth. Try not to focus your attention on him and focus on yourself. You have plenty of things to be proud of. You're kind and supportive, at least this is what I have noticed about you on here. You have hobbies and friends from all over the world here. :wink: You don't need to be envious of others and care what he might think.

lottaotter likes this.
  4. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, that's him! 'I don't mind queer people existing as long as they don't differ from me in any way at all'.

He is tolerable as a housemate. My other housemate wants us all to hang out together 110% of the time and would probably have us sharing toothbrushes if she got her way, but I need my space and I am out of here next summer if it's the last thing I do. I feel like a PA for those two, constantly having to clean up after them and remind them and deal with ALL the landlord stuff and bills. I am just about to snap today and start breaking stuff with it all but that is for another post.

As nasty as it sounds, I do hope so. Everyone who meets him believes he is a God.

Thank you for your reply. And sorry for being so negative. I have had it with people this week.

5. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Rayland. I have been feeling a bit better about this specific situation, but this week has been pushing all my buttons and I'm going to flip one of these days so I'm feeling anything but kind lately. Thanks anyway.

6. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He sounds like a bit of a **** to me. Personally I think macho guys like him are a massive turn off. I know it's hard having to live around it though. But from what I've heard about both you and him, you're much more of a catch than he is. He honestly sounds like so many words I'd like to say but probably shouldn't on a public forum. None of them good.

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's okay to not feel kind. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better though. Feelings don't show who you are as a person. I've been meaning to ask, if there is anyway you could afford your own place? Or save up for it? You wouldn't have to deal with sharing your space. You also could be clear about that to your housemate, that you don't wish to spend time with him, because you don't feel comfortable around him. It's important to set boundaries too. You live there too, so they need to take your needs into consideration as well. Be honest about your feelings. The way you're describing them feels like they are teens who's hormones are running a mock:

1. Being together all the time.
    2. Having to remind them about bills and such (they're adults, why do you need to remind them?).

You could make a poster of common share apartment etiquette and put it somewhere visible in the apartment. In poster there can be stuff like this:

• be adult and take care of your bills without someone constantly reminding you
    • clean your mess
    • respect each others personal space
    • etc...anything else that apply's

It's all common rules and they're breaking them, so they obviously need a reminder. Bright colors and drawings for illustration purpose lift the mood. Put it somewhere where they definitely see it all the time, like fridge. This is just something I would do.

lottaotter likes this.
  8. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you should put up a communication board. Everyone can post their views and concerns. I hate being "walked over".By the postings, the roomies will reveal their "real" selves. He appears to be a macho self centered individual. Allow yourself to review their collective views and then decide if they truly value you in the household. Seems to me, you deserve more respect from your roommates.

9. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being around roomies "110%" is a turn off. Why should one negate one's time by only doing activities with one's roomies? Nothing against board games, but I prefer an evening of conversation with friendly individuals.

10. BirdWatcher87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Lottaotter!

I can understand how you feel. I’m bisexual and haven’t told anyone about my sexuality yet (hopefully someday soon!).

I’ve actually run into people similar to who you’re describing. It’s hard for me to hear them say those things and at times I feel that I compare myself to others too easily.

I always love myself for who I am and continuing to make that difference out there in the world just being me. I’ve recently noticed on top of my attraction to women and men, I’ve also started to have feelings for transgender people at times too. I’ve also felt more feminine and I embrace everything and all the feelings.

Always be who you are and follow your heart too! No matter what you’re like, you’re still awesome! We’re always here if you need anything!

I hope this might of helped a little bit and you’re feeling better too! :slight_smile:

Rayland and lottaotter like this.
  11. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I really wish I could like who I am. Sometimes I get that feeling of pride in myself but then I tell myself off because I feel like I'm not good enough to be loved even by myself. I'm finding it very hard to deal with the pressure of it all at the moment and be positive to pull myself out of this place.

Rayland likes this.
  12. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a good idea. I feel I would be the only one with any concerns in the house. Afterall, my housemates are waited on hand and foot by me. I'm scared to voice my concerns in case people don't like me anymore, but it's affecting me badly now to stay quiet. He owes me £45 and I am scared to mention it in case I look like a horrible person.

If you don't mind me ranting about him again for a bit (my other housemate will not tolerate even small criticisms of him)... He is one of the most boring people I have ever met. Everything is a performance with him. His whole life seems to be the result of carefully planning what will make him seem the most masculine. And then there are his views on women, which are plain disturbing. Yesterday he descibed the women who work in one of the bars in our city as "Fat degenerate bitches"... Yikes. Not someone I want to hang around with.

Exactly! I value my alone-time so much. I agree!

Rayland likes this.
  13. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will try to remember "Feelings don't show who you are as a person". I am not usually a fan of quotes but that one really helps me, so thank you.

In my current job, I couldn't afford to live alone, and without a university degree it's unlikely I ever will. But I can't blame anyone except myself because I quit university for my mental health, and chose to work a part-time job for the same reason.

I am thinking of having another 'house meeting' soon to address some stuff. We will be taken to court if those two don't pay the bills soon. I am very stressed about it, but I also don't want to be the nasty one. And I don't want to swoop in and do everything for them (paying the these bills) because they will never learn their lesson that way. I have to learn how to manage the stress until then.

Rayland likes this.
  14. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. While it seems like all other gay guys are obsessed with 'straight-passing' men, I personally don't like that performative masculinity at all. Haha same here. It wouldn't be so bad if I could vent to my other housemate but she thinks he is perfection itself. Oh well.

Rayland and Cinnamoon like this.
  15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell them that all three of you will be homeless, if they don't pay their own bills. Actions have consequences. It's not you being mean, but telling them what is the reality. They need to face it. I think it's a very good idea to have a house meeting. And don't let them trying to get you to pay their bills. Just tell them you don't have that kind of money and you will all be in trouble if they don't pay. Stand your ground.

Cinnamoon, lottaotter and Mihael like this.
  16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I am one of the masculine guys, and I go to the gym, eat meat and swear at times, I get the feeling like your housemate must be a douchebag. He must be making a lot of comparisons and must be criticising others who aren't like him in subtle ways, and this is why you feel self-conscious about not being a gym enthusiast. From what you quoted, what he says seems passive-aggressive.

#16 Mihael, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Ipswichfan, lottaotter and Rayland like this.
  17. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if he is criticising very much or if it's just me. You are very lucky that you're like that. I would give anything to be masculine enough. It's not that I'm interested in anything traditionally manly (the opposite, actually), I just wish I had the benefits that come with it, like being approved of by society and by women especially. It's everyone else praising my housemate in the areas I lack that hurts so much. No one values my few skills or talents.

18. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told them again tonight what they need to do to pay the bills. And tomorrow I'll ask for the money he owes me.

Cinnamoon and Rayland like this.
  19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But is it worth it? Like, seriously. There's nothing wrong with being a bookworm. Or a geek. Or anything that reflects a different temperament than the one that has trouble sitting still. It's not objectively good or bad.

In which way? By whom? You can always stick with guys or girls who have interests similar to yours, if not having friends is the issue.

Why do you want to be approved by women?

Maybe it's the situation that makes you feel this way. It looks to me as if the other housemate is very attracted to him. It might be uneasy if it's just you 3 and you hoped to form friendship with housemates. Couples (or couples-to-be) can be very posessive. Maybe you're jealous - but about company and attention. Are there other housemates? Maybe you could hang out with someone else who doesn't live with you?

20. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi Lottaotter, what do you mean 'waited on hand and foot by me'? Do you mean you just do all the housework? That's not on. And you need to say so.

Also...how does he owe you £45? Does he not have a job?

Oh Jesus..and he's a complete misogynist too. Lovely.

I get what you mean about not wanting to be seen as a 'nasty person'. I have that same tendency too. But there are limits. And in my experience houseshares soon break down if people don't pay their bills/ don't do their share of housework. Collectively you need to put a system in place and if they quibble about it you can threaten to walk.

Beth

Rayland and Cinnamoon like this.