1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel his pain..... Need advice

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Empathy62, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I ended up here, looking for a way to help my lover.

We've known each other for over 10 years and have been together for about 4 now. We didn't know it, but we went to school together a long time ago. I've often wondered what would have happened if we had actually known each other back then.

From the very beginning, I sensed a dark, hidden corner in his soul. An only child, distant from his long divorced parents, estranged from his only child, a wake of broken marriages and relationships behind him.

But there was something about him that I liked from the very beginning. The witty sense of humor with a quiet, self assured way of moving. We were just friends in the beginning.

And then all of my children were grown and out in the world. I woke up to the reality that my 30 plus year marriage had died behind loneliness and gambling years before. That selflessly raising children had been the only thing that kept me there.

I struck out into the world myself. I hadn't been on my own since I married at 19.The flirting between us began. I felt like a teenager, starving for the affection and sex I had abhorred in the last decade of matrimony.

I had heard things about him but saw no indication of them myself. Solicitous, selfless and ardent, he is a tiger in bed. Makes me laugh that I once thought that part of me was dead. He tells me he loves me more in a single day than I heard in a whole month before.

But, at times, there is a dark broodiness in him. He often drinks more than he should. Sometimes bitter, easy to anger, mean and vengeful. I have told him he needs to drag whatever it is hiding in that dark corner into the light, name it and deal with it once and for all. I can tell it has held a power over him for years, if not decades. He has not talked to the mother he says he hates in years. He has not talked to the dad he blames for leaving when he needed him the most in decades. Except for a single cousin, he has no contact with his extended family. By choice, he bears his secret burden all alone.

Except, I have discovered what it is. My lover is bi and he does not know how to cope with it. He has secretly cheated on me with another man. Raised between the Catholic and Baptist churches, his shame and self loathing are great. It explains a lot of the things he does and feels. A bad day is punishment and a bottle will drown it.

When I try to imagine how he has dealt with it all of these years, it makes me cry. I want him to at least be able to acknowledge who he is with me and whoever else he chooses to. Lighten that burden in part. I know he is afraid I would leave him. With my history of long term monogamy and depending on the circumstances, I can't say that I would stay.

I could demand exclusivity as most people do in a relationship and I believe he has operated that way most of his knowing. But is that fair? Asking someone to not deny a part of themselves but then to not act on it?

I could set a boundary that would give him some freedom to express himself. But at what cost to my own emotional well-being? I can't say that feelings of insecurity, jealousy and worthlessness would not grow in my own dark corner.

I could simply pretend that I do not know and let him continue in his secret misery. But I can't see doing that to him. I love him more than he loves himself and his pain is my pain.

In any case, I love a man who has turned out to be self deprecating, self destructive, fragile and unsure behind his secret.

We are both in our 50's. I don't see a whole lot of years to find and live in the happiness every person craves and some never have. I would rather he let him self out and possibly lose him than have him continue this way.

I just don't know how to ask him to let me in and unburden himself.That I love him and would not judge him. If I was capable of holding it against him, I would have already been gone.

In short, if you were this man I love, what would be the best way for me to tell you that I know your deepest, darkest, long held secret and that I still love you? I don't ever want to hurt or embarrass him.

#1 Empathy62, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did you find out? Do you know that he's bi and not gay, etc.?

One concern I have here is that if he is as self-loathing, alcohol-dependent, and prone to anger as you say, then it frankly may not be safe to tell him that you know he is something other than straight (especially depending on how you found out, which is why I ask). Ultimately, if he hasn't come out to you, it's probably because he's not comfortable with you knowing...which means that telling him you know might not go so well.

If you want to try to help, I might encourage him to see a counselor, or otherwise confide in a good friend or family member (if he has one that you think would be LGBT friendly, you could steer him that direction, perhaps). But if things are as you say, I don't know if there's much you will be able to do yourself.

So, do what you feel like you can within those limits, but otherwise also think of your own safety.

3. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the consideration Gravity. Outside of the stories I heard in the beginning , I found out through a short text thread. We often use each other's phones to play music on the wifi. Opened it and there it was. I didn't let him know I saw but I think he may suspect. It was not something I was willing to launch right into without a lot of thought and some sort of confirmation. I had been backtracking his mileage on Google for tax purposes. He scrubbed his timeline for the morning in question. That was a month ago.

I know the other guy. He is a friend of ours. I wouldn't dream of saying anything to him. And I treat him no differently now than before. My feeling is that it has been a very long time since they met up like that. I also feel their history is long. Frankly, I think that there have not been many encounters of that nature since the very first and even fewer partners.Those were probably more about lust than love.

Really, there is no one for him to confide in except maybe me. I see few in our small circle of friends who would not be totally blindsided. I have wondered if maybe his estrangement from his entire family is because there was some suspicion of it in the past.

Definitely not gay. His appreciation of the female body is very obvious. His anger is much more than likely to be directed at an inanimate object than an actual person.

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that he has any desire to come out. That's why the self-imposed denial he is living breaks my heart. As for me, any conversation about it will not go beyond these boards unless it is a direct conversation with him and my approach would not be anything other than gentle.l

I am just trying to find a way to convey to him that there is one place in the world, other than a secret tryst, where he can be all of him and not just part of him. I do understand that it may also result in the end of us. If so, no word of it would ever cross my lips again. That being said, I think there is still no way that this conversation between us is never going to happen.

Living with someone who cannot be themselves and probably lives in constant fear of discovery, may be too painful for me.

4. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gravity,
    I just realized I excluded him from the last line of my last post. Couldn't figure out how to edit it. If it hurts me, it surely hurts him more. I see the searching look in his eyes sometimes. Almost like he feels trapped. After hours of thoughtfulness today, I have concluded that I'm going to sit quiet for now. I've always been pretty good at deciding when was the best time for something like this. This does not feel like it.

Maybe my best approach is to just continue to affirm my love and admiration for him. Maybe that will open the door in small ways. Wish me luck!

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Empathy62! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

Unfortunately this is little that you can or should do for him unless he Comes Out to you and asks for your help. His sexual orientation is his really business alone, so it would not be appropriate for you to confront him about it. In fact, if you were to confront him about it, you risk the very real possibility of causing an irreparable rift between the two of you.

However, if you want to increase the possibility that he may voluntarily Come Out to you, the best thing that you can do is to show through words and actions that you are supportive of the LGBTQ community (for example, making postive/pro-LGBTQ comments whenever LGBTQ issues come up on the news or in casual conversation; if you have an other LGBTQ friends, maybe make a point of inviting them to a social function like dinner or a cookout or a party; etc).

I would tell you, honestly, that there is SO much biphobia out there (both from the heterosexual and homosexual communities), that I don't blame ANY bisexual for hiding their true sexuality. For myself, I am out to pretty much all of my friends, family and many acquaintances. However, in any serious relationship, my policy is to wait to be open with my partner once we have an established relationship and he or she knows me well enough that we would be considering a long-term relationship.In my experience straight women can be extremely homophobic. Many straight women will automatically turn down or dump a guy who is openly bisexual and who, thus, may have been 'with' or want to be 'with' other guys. Homosexual men tend to have a different slant. They tend to be insecure about the relationship with a bisexual man, thinking that they cannot every truly 'satisfy' their bisexual boyfriend and that he is likely to leave when he 'feels some need' for a relationship with a woman in order to make up for whatever it is that the homosexual partner can't provide. All of this is BS and individuals do things for individual reasons so stupid stereotypes like these only tend to cut short potentially strong, long-term relationship possibilities.

Sorry for the rant.

My 2cents.

6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What you ask is a very difficult question. I can relate to your partner because from age 12-13 to 44 his life sounds like mine. A little piece of your soul gets twisted until you think you are less than your really are, which is complete BS. I think it all has to start with self acceptance, at least it did for me, I finally feel free.
    Dean

Empathy62 likes this.
  7. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am glad you have found happiness in your own skin Dean. I am gathering from what you are saying, that you did not come out until 44. So this would be my question for you. If someone back there in that time, Who Loved You, discovered what you were hiding, would you even want them to let you know? And what would have made an acceptable approach for you? What could they have done or said that would make you understand that you were safe with them? I can't help but feel that if he knew I knew, he would feel some kind of relief. But then that leads to what you pointed out. Self-acceptance. I can't say he ever will. I could see where my knowing, might make him hate himself even more. No matter how much I told him I loved him. But an answer from you, who totally understands the situation, might help me decide what to do. Thank you for the Insight Dean.

8. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your approach on reveal all to partner after relationship, is really deceitful. You would rather be in a relationship with a biphobic individual than with someone that loves you for you, from the start?

I hope thats not the advice you give other young lgbt people, growing up in a more accepting time as now. It will only lead them to having repetitions of painful, unhealthy relationships.

Also OP your sadly already feeling like your husband is unhappy, its also affecting your conscience. Thats not healthy, especially when you have learnt of such a secret but he doesnt want to open up to you about his whole self, relationships, regardless of what orientation are based on trust, honesty, openness and respect. If one already denies to open such an important part of them, that does affect your lives, id say equally do think about yourself as you hope he may include you in his life. If it never happens, even if it may be hard and tough to say this, dont lose your soul in the process of thinking your helping, give him his space and occupy yourself with other interests and likes.

#8 Destroyed, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Empathy62 and gravechild like this.
  9. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Destroyed, somehow, you are saying everything I have said. He has professed love for me like no other. But I feel it would be selfish of me to only be concerned with myself and my feelings. I'm looking for a way for him to feel the security and happiness we all deserve. We both have LGBT friends that we totally accept. No judgement at all. Of the 2 of us, he would actually be the one to speak against first. But I think that is him toeing the old school line of his upbringing. Like Dean pointed out, the first step is to accept himself. I don't think he does. I don't know he can or ever will. I can't do anything about that. My concern is that somebody I love hurts deeply in a way I cannot bear. I'm looking to be comfort and refuge for for the man I love who has been hiding from himself most of his life.

10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Destroyed
    That's a complete misinterpretation if what I said. I would never want to be in a relationship with someone who is biphobic. I only said that I want to give any relationship a chance to see if there may be true mutual love there before risking the possibility that an ignorant biphobia ends a relationship 'reflexively' before it has a chance to start.

I believe that most homophibia, b\iphobia, and transphobia exists because of ignorance. In my experience, two of the best ways for someone to overcome of one these phobias are through education and direct experience. I.e. getting to know a homosexual, bisexual or transsexual person in real life. That can have the significant effect of helping the 'phobic' person to realize just how many of the common stereotypes and false 'arguments' that they use to justify their phoiba in their head are completely wrong. People can change. Homophobia, biphobia and transphobia are learned. They can potentially be unlearned.

@Empathy62
    This is completely true, but this is a journey that he has to make on his own. You can't try to 'force' him in any way or speed him along. You can only be there for him when he asks for support on this issue and show him, as I said, that he can expect you to be supportive by showing your acceptance of LGBTQ-people and issues.

Empathy62 likes this.
  11. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure how your lives will unfold,

keep showing love and support
    like you have

I just hope life treats you both well

Empathy62 likes this.
  12. Empathy62

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quantumreality, I understand what you are saying. Actually getting to know somebody in a face to face social setting or friendship could definitely go far towards dispelling stereotypes.

But I also understand what Destroyed is saying. Especially if the relationship has become intimate. To suddenly come out after so much emotion has been invested by both party's, could appear as not being honest and forthcoming from the start. It runs the risk of being devastating to both.

I guess it's all in the timing of the reveal and the personalities involved.

As for my own situation, after much reflection, I have decided to just sit quietly. I have been a rock when it comes to us and I will continue to be until I'm not.

It just hurts to know that it would be better for both of us if he would just let it out. Maybe then he could get past the negative things in his life and mind and be happy with it.

Peace

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey @Empathy62,

I wasn't comparing my personal 'policy' directly to your situation. I was just trying to provide a different perspective. Your relationship with him has gone very, very far beyond the point where I would have Come Out to a potential long-term partner. However, I have also understood and accepted my sexuality for over 25 years, while it's unclear that your friend has truly accepted his sexuality.

In your case, it sounds like you are finding it too hard to deal with him being being in the closet (both to himself - most likely - and to you). This is an extremely tough situation and only you can decide what you want to do about it. It does sound like he's been a very good friend to you over the years. I was really just saying that if you choose to confront him about his sexuality or use it as the make/break point in your relationship with him, you stand a very real chance of losing him as a friend forever.

I have also re-read your original post and given it more thought. There are really two issues here. You stated up front in the title of this thread and at the beginning of your original post that your main focus is on helping him accept his sexuality so that he can he comfortable with who he really is and be able to be authentic. That is truly admirable, but as I've said in my comments, not something that you can or should directly interfere with.

The second point, which I really overlooked initially, is the fact that you have evidence that he has cheated on you with another man. If the two of you have decided to be in an exclusive/monogamous relationship, his cheating is a problem that you could/should bring up. It doesn't matter if he's cheating on you with a man or another woman. It violates your trust and results in an unhealthy relationship. If things reach a breaking point for you (emotionally) and you choose to bring this up and have a heart-to-heart with him about your relationship, perhaps you could focus on the fact that he cheated on you and show him that you accept his sexuality by intentionally dismissing who it was (the gender of the person) with whom he cheated.

For now, though I think that you've come to a good decision:

Just my thoughts.

I wish you both all the best!:slight_smile:

Empathy62 likes this.
  14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Empathy, Sorry for the late reply, I had to ponder your questions for awhile. I think even back then, I would have been totally freaked out, today maybe not so much. I am out to only a couple of people, but I am ok with who I am to myself, the most important person.
    Remember, when we were in our teens and 20's, even 30's society dictated what was and was not acceptable. Even though the "rules" have relaxed in some parts of the country old "thinking" is very hard to overcome.

I know it's hard to watch but his journey is one that he has to take alone, You could suggest counseling for his drinking, maybe he would tell some else what's going on in a private setting....it's a hard thing. I wouldn't bring up the sexual part quite yet. I think a wait and see position is best, make a plan so if it gets brought up and it doesn't go well you will have a place and income and know where you are at.

Dean

Empathy62 likes this.
  15. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have learned dark secrets of friends by accident and faced a similar dilemma. In the end I adopted the policy of not doing anything about it unless I was deliberately trusted with the secret. To apply to your case, I would not address the issue.

However, you have an alternative way to address the issue. You mentioned that from his behavior it is pretty obvious he has some emotional baggage: drinking, outbursts of rage and vengefulness. You have told him he should deal with his issues but it seems he has not wanted to address it. You can and you should encourage him to deal with his issues. It doesn't mean he should talk to you but he should talk to someone, preferably a therapist. It is unlikely that sexual confusion is his only issue - no one cuts ties with their family if there wasn't something wrong with the family to begin with. Just make sure you talk to him when he is sober and in a relatively good mood.

I hope this helps.

Empathy62 likes this.