1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know to come out at school or not

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DemiLiHue, May 21, 2018.

?

Should I Come Out At School?

1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe you should wait

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Won't make a difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi... Nice to meet you.
    I've had this question spinning in my head for about two years (I'm a "freshman") The thing is, I avoid thinking about it because it makes me terribly anxious. I'm out as a guy to most of my family and friends, and have some friends who think I'm a cis guy. At school... I'm not out publicly. I think that maybe long-term I might be happier because I'd get to be myself, but I'm already bullied a bit as a girl, and don't get very well with some of my classmates. Another thing is the fact that I plan on getting a scolarship for a very good school abroad, starting junior. So maybe the long term benefits might last very short. On the other side, I'm probably going to start hrt next year about half year in, and I just can't transition while not out?? Or maybe I'll not have significant changes before the school year ends... Finally, my biggest problem is that I'm probably autistic and a spoonie (I have little energy levels for my day) So if I add the stress of coming out and extra problems... I'd probably have an intense burnout and embarass myself for the whole school year. Read: I'd maybe lose my ability to speak.
    Help me!!!

2. Zryan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey ! Nice to meet you too.
    I'm probably not gonna be much of a help because I realized I was a Trans guy just a few months ago.
    But the fact that you're out to your family and friends is for me the most important thing !
    I just have one question, do you like/prefer when your friends see you as a cis guy ? 'Cause technically you can be out without telling people, and that's what I plan to do later on. Just because you're trans doesn't mean everyone needs to know ! If you think it will be better for you to be out before transitioning, do it !
    And I don't understand why the long-term benefits would not last with your scholarship ? Sorry for this question but I am French and your scholar system is really different from mine if that makes sense.
    One last thing ! Being anxious is, I could say, "normal". But do not stress about coming out or try not to worry ! I say try because I worry about coming out to my family. Everyone does ! But talk to your friends or family about how you feel about coming out. And the most important thing, go at your own pace ! Do not speed about doing it ! That's when you'll feel more anxious :wink:
    I hope I helped you, even just a little bit !

3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, well I don't really care if they see me as a cis guy but I like it when I meet people as a guy already because those friends don't make pronoun mistakes and they know I'm a guy. (The friends you come out to, will take a while to see you as a guy) I did come out as trans to two of my friends and they seemed pretty cool. Definitely plan on not hiding it in the future.

Getting the scolarship will mean leaving my current school in about two years, that's why. So it's not like if I don't come out I'll graduate with the wrong name. Thank you anyways.

4. Weird Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would consider the environment of your school. Maybe your peers and teachers will use it as a weakness to exploit if they already didn't like you, or people will see it as a reason to start disliking you. If you're school has a better environment then it may grant you protection if people see your bullies as bigots instead of kind-of funny jackasses.

Either way, if you come out be prepared for people to come up to you out of the blue to ask weird questions about transitioning or talk like they have a right to your personal details in the name of curiosity. You may encounter pandering people who try to claim they know how you feel or do the bare minimum to befriend you in order to cash in on your minority status. You probably won't have to deal with fetishists who are into trans men, but that's something you should be prepared for in the future.
    On a whole I think, when coming out to a group that can tell you aren't bio-masc, you should mostly consider what you value more: being treated like a normal person, or being true to yourself, as well as how much you value their opinions of you.