1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't have any friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by djstcktn326, Mar 3, 2013.

1. djstcktn326

I have been dealing with this for a long time; I don't any friends who I can confide in or tell anything to. I guess I'm too much of a pessimist to be friends with anyone, plus my self-esteem is suffering badly.

2. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same issue, although I do have a couple of friends. I know the feeling, the few friends you do have have tons of friends, they always seem to be invited places, etc. Here's the thing though. This lack of friends you perceive, is actually by your own choice I'd bet. You probably simply don't go out to social events much, or don't make any serious attempt to get to know people (for whatever reason), or you act boring around people (i.e playing it safe).

I've found that realizing these issues has really helped me start to expand my horizons more. I've been going to social events (anime cons, etc), and talking to people, dancing, etc. It's difficult at first, since you feel rusty and like you're the only person alone there, but it gets easier.

I suggest just trying to talk to people. Ignore that impulse to not bother trying because you assume they're probably nothing like you. Just talk to them anyways. Also, don't worry about whether people will judge you for having less friends. Just don't act like it bothers you, that way even if they notice, they won't judge. Try to be an interesting person, talk about your own interests, and ask people about theirs.

3. BudderMC

^ good advice.

I'll just add on some of my own knowledge.

Friendships are built off of things like similarity, proximity, familiarity, etc. So, take a look at how you can make these things happen.

Similarity is pretty self-explanatory - find people you're similar to! That might mean a whole bunch of different things. Maybe you'll join a running group/book club/gamers night, if you like running/books/gaming. Maybe you'll talk with your co-workers since you both work at the same job. Maybe you'll make friends with another gay person since you can both relate to the struggle of being LGBT.

Proximity and familiarity are also pretty straightforward - the more you see someone, the more you'll like them.

I guess the point is is try to go places where you'll have something to do. This has a twofold effect: you'll feel less like you're there to "make friends" (and take pressure off yourself) since you'll also be there for interest, and you'll be more likely to make friends since you'll have things in common.

Oh, and of course, don't go out with the intent of "making friends" - it isn't something that can be rushed and you'll be disappointed since there aren't any immediate goals to reach or tangible results to see. Go out to "socialize" or "have fun", and making friends will follow along naturally.

I don't know if you're a pessimist, but that statement is really self-defeatist. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I believe there are very few truly pessimistic people in the world. Life is a matter of outlook - you're acknowledging that maybe your outlook isn't the brightest, so perhaps you could try doing the exact opposite. Consider it a little experiment, trying to be super optimistic for the next few days.