1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don’t know what to do anymore.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lorraine, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been dealing with some cutting problems and moved on to another form of self-harm. So only a couple weeks ago my mom asked me if I would rather talk to the pastor or a conselor. I had said a counselor because I don’t know what I believe in right now. I would rather talk to a counselor because what my parents believe, is against people like me. It seems somewhat rash to ‘hurt’ myself because of a little teenage feeling. They don’t know that I’m lesbian. If I told them they would try to talk me out of it(like its something you can be talked out of) and tell me its a phase. The worst of all they would probably act like they’re accepting of who I am but inwardly feel like they failed their child when really they made me this why and I’m glad. Some may think I’m just over exaggerating about what to expect if I ever came out to my parents. But this is all true. My mom works with this lady who’s lesbian and she talks about her with this sadness like the lady is so far gone. One time I purposely put on an episode of a show were a a gay couple kiss. Can you guess his reaction? “Ugh, that’s just disgusting” turns off tv and throws remotes onto couch. Now when when watching a movie as a family... Sex scene comes up and my dad’s just like “oh, cover your eyes kids”. Don’t get me wrong my parents are great, most of the time. Life has changed so drastically over the past year. Only a couple years ago I was this perfectionist who was planning for her future. This was a pointeless rant about an unimportant life.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lorraine.....Hello and a very big welcome to empty closets! Sorry about what you're going through right now. I so hope that the counselor is not antagonistic to the LGBTQ Family. While I am a Christian myself (gay Christian), I really hope you don't end up with a Christian Counselor. I don't know for sure about counselors, but a therapist is not supposed to try to force a client towards a specific direction. Their job is to help guide the client to understand themselves as they really are and then deal with any problems. So often a Christian counselor/therapist will have a predetermined idea of what they want you to accept/become. That's just wrong and won't help at all. No matter what, please remember that you have a wonderful LGBTQ Family here and that we do care! Please keep us updated on how this works out!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    David, Thank you so much for your reply. You don’t understand what this means to me. I have never gotten support that means so much to me. About the counselor, my parents contacted them and found out it cost a lot more than their pay check. So the whole counselor deal is probably not going to happen. I have been through a very low time lately, in which causing me to become sick. I really appreciate your welcoming to empty closets and hope I can find a connection with people here. Again thank you so much for replying! I’m sure you have replied to many people for the past 4-5 years but this means so much to me... that someone who understands, cares.
    -Lorraine

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lorraine.....I am serious about the fact that we care...empty closets is a place where you can find people just like yourself. People who have been through pretty much the same kind of problems and decisions. This site has helped me so very much...I can only repay that by trying to help others just as I was helped. You've got a number of years yet to live with your family so there are a few things about coming out that I'd like to share...The most important two factors in deciding when to come out are: 1) Come out when YOU are ready. Don't let anyone push you into it if you are not at the place where coming out is right for you...not them. and... 2) Don't come out if there is a real chance that you will be in danger. That includes being kicked out of your house, having no way to support yourself, having all privileges (phone, computer, friends, etc.) taken away, being verbally or emotionally abused as well as the danger of physical abuse. Waiting can be very difficult, but your safety and emotional well-being are more important. Being out in junior high/middle school/high school is easier now than it used to be...but depending on your school and your relationship with other students, it can be problematical. Try to evaluate these things and see what you seriously think about the results of coming out would be. Again, don't forget that you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Please continue to keep us updated on how things are going for you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

SoulSearch likes this.
  5. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Lorraine,
    My name is Brandy, I'm 42 years old, transgender/genderqueer/non binary... SOMETHING! and I still haven't figured that part out fully. I'm into all genders, always have been, and it's been really rough at times. Sounds to me like you could really use an ear, we're here, but know that help even if you just want to vent, cry, whatever, is out there.
    Please don't hurt yourself though, no matter how much it hurts sometimes. If you think you're going to hurt yourself, please, wait a little while longer, even one minute, can you manage five?
    In those minutes, can you instead reach out for help? Find one friend, imagine what you'd say to one trusted teacher, one trusted friend, just one person.
    If you can't wait for a response, if you hurting that much, please just use your phone and call 911.
    Call 911, all you have to do is give yourself one minute. One minute to say "I think I'm going to hurt myself."
    If you can't think of a friend today, (I looked for an Indiana kids help phone line and my google skills kinda suck, so I didn't see one), but have a look at
    Kidshelpphone.ca
    They're Canadian, but trust me, as a Canadian, they are so understanding and supportive of LGBTQ kids. They have online chat, or call
    1(800)668-6868
    They won't turn you away. I'm not sure if they're being overloaded with American kids right now because I keep telling American kids just like you, scared, lonely, frustrated, pissed off, to call because I don't really know the American option that's quite like kidshelpphone.ca
    Maybe they know a local resource for you. But I guarantee they understand your situation, they talk to LGBTQ kids all the time, you're not alone.
    Please don't hurt yourself. Give yourself even just one minute to pick up your phone and ask for help.
    Can you do that for me, for all of us here?

6. KateRowan

KateRowan Guest

Hi hon, trying to reply. I just joined today so I’m not sure how to use this. How old are you?

7. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks you for your concern! I have gotten over my cutting problems. Obviously I still have my ups and down but, its been around a month since I had last actually thought of hurting myself.
    I would talk to to my parents about this but they are very homophobic. I appreciate that you recommend a help line but taking to someone about my life would kinda make me uncomfortable. I know the person on the other end of the line probably wouldn’t think this but, I feel like they’d just think “Oh, its just another 13 year old dealing with a phase/hormones. But that’s just my brain.

8. Diane05

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you can always talk about it here, and I will try to help as much as possible.

9. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much!

10. Diane05

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your welcome.

11. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Lorraine

I do have a sense of what you are going through. I myself was a teen cutter and a lesbian. If your counselor doesn't seem gay-friendly you can still discuss the cutting issue. They can help you find safer, alternative ways to deal with the emotional stress than cutting. I would hope in today's age we wouldn't have therapists that would not try to sway you or be against LGBTQ, but there still are some. You can always come here to talk about those issues and everything else. You'll find that we are a great group and ready to listen and hear you. I can say it will get better even if you just have to make it until you graduate and get out on your own. I am a lot older than you, but at my age I have finally accepted myself and found happiness without getting the approval of my family. You can get there, it just may take some time. Have you tried journaling? Here is an Indiana support group - INDIANA YOUTH GROUP www.indianayouthgroup.org IYG provides a safe place, a confidential environment and services which foster self-esteem, resiliency and positive decision-making skills among LGBTQ young people. 2943 E. 46th Street Indianapolis, IN 46205 Phone: 317-541-8726 They can most likely help you with other resources.

12. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I
    I can assure you the person on the other end of the line isn't thinking you're probably just another hormonal 13 year old going through a phase.
    As soon as you speak to a trained, sympathetic counselor and mention that you think you might be gay, or you're struggling with a sense of identity be it gender or otherwise, or you're struggling with feeling you're not important (you are!), or that you've hurt yourself before or are thinking of it again, a whole bunch of red flags go off and these counselors listen to your unique circumstance, and try to help you find the best resources so that you and your family can get through this tough time. That isn't to say that they will notify your family, but they realize that the best possible outcome involves solutions where your family is included, where there is no evidence of child abuse.
    I understand you don't necessarily want to tell it all to a stranger on the phone, and you may not think of a kids help line in a moment of high distress, but you can remember 911, right?
    I'm telling you 100% from experience, I was a 911 dispatcher, that a young person thinking of or about to hurt themselves is absolutely a 911 emergency, as much as is a house fire or someone having a heart attack. They will help you, if you need it, is that fair enough?

13. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your replies. I today made a decision to put away the blades and the pill bottle. I understand know what could’ve happened if I had continued with that path. In truth I always knew that if I kept doing what I was doing, it wouldn’t end well. But now I care about my well being. I’m trying to put those thoughts away and instead worry about things normal teens worry about, like crushes and grades. If I ever go back To being that deep in that state of mind, I’ll think about why I stopped in the first place. Kids shouldn’t have to think about weather or not they want to live anymore. I will do my best to be that girl.

Destin, FortyTwo and Brandy Bee like this.
  14. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for showing yourself the love you deserve!

FortyTwo likes this.
  15. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Lorraine....
    I hope your doing ok, thinking of you...your get plenty of support here on EC....XXX

#15 Rade, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  16. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the most anybody has cared to talk to me about one topic. I am doing better than I was, not the best but better. I’m so glad to have support on this topic from mainly adults because, I don’t get to talk to my parents about this with them being extreme homophobes.

17. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's very unfortunate that your parents are so closed minded about this. Sure does make things tougher, doesn't it?

18. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don’t know how much harder it is to not be able to share this with my parents. I could tell them and I know they wouldn’t kick me out or anything but, they would never look at me the same way. I would be that corrupt child that they failed to raise properly. Then they would try even harder to force their religion on me so that I may be rid of this “phase”. It’s hard being able to tell anybody anything when you haven’t told your parents yet, especially when you grew up telling your mom everything that happened during the day after school. Obviously you get used to hiding but it feels unfair that so many people can realize something about themselves and have their parents be encouraging about it. That’s why I’m glad I have friends and EC!

Brandy Bee likes this.
  19. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents, sister and brother in law are Christians (so am I) and HUGE homophobes. HOWEVER, my parents accepted my bisexuality in the best way ever. They used gender neutral words to describe possible future partners and told me they love me regardless, as long as I am happy. They just want me to be happy. I couldn't have asked for a better reaction. Why am I telling you this? To show you that even the biggest homophobes can learn to accept their child/family member as bi- homo- or transsexual. You just need to stand your ground and tell them that that is who you are. It's a part of you, and that you didn't change as a person, your choice in partners may just differ from theirs. Don't be discouraged, but also remember that there are 5 stages of acceptance: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. And they won't go through those stages in a day. You yourself have gone through those stages when you were learning to accept yourself. Give them time. They will come 'round. And if they need to be reminded sometime down the line, do it! Don't hide a part of who you are. You deserve to be happy too! I wish you all the best, and I hope your parents will still treat you the same :slight_smile:

quebec likes this.
  20. Lorraine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the encouragement! I know that what you mean well but my parents wouldn’t be nice about it even if it was their daughter. We had someone pretty close to us come out and my parents were all, “protect the children” and, “that’s so sad” and, “I guess it’s their life”. I never saw the person again. My parents are a bit more accepting about coworkers being lgbtq+ because they don’t know them. I’m just scared to disappoint them more than I already have. They don’t say I’ve disappointed them, but you can see it whenever a certain conversation comes up.