1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don’t know how I’m going to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crochetgay, Mar 17, 2018.

1. crochetgay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don’t know how I’m going to come out to my parents, I have such bad anxiety that I feel like I’ll never actually get myself to do it. But I know it’s time and I know I need to.
    They are religious and somewhat homophobic, but I know they’ll accept me 100% so I don’t know why I’m SO scared.
    I’ve considered doing it through a letter (and I’ve even written one), but if I do that I don’t think we’ll ever actually talk about it, like it’ll just sit in the air and kind of be like it never happened. Which I don’t want.
    Any advice on how to get myself to do it?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand that feeling. I think coming out is so personal that I think you have to find the way that suits you. Maybe if you have a letter and you feel like you would have trouble just talking to them you could read the letter to them, that way you would have already decided what you want to say you'd just be reading it. Alternatively you could give them the letter whilst you are there which would mean you could talk about it after they have read it.

3. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do your folks ever question you about your sexuality?
    Often parents suspect their child's sexual orientation and will try to open a dialog.
    Often the child will ignore this parental desire to understand their child better because of a deep fear of rejection and this is not without reason.

The way a child's parents attempt to open the dialog is a good indicator of how they are going to accept the child's honest answer and the child should be aware of the indicators the parents display.

A loving concerned attempt may be construed as a welcoming acceptance of your answer while open hostility, homophobic remarks, claims of the devil dragging you into hell for your sinful ways should be taken as an indicator to cut the conversation short and keep yourself to yourself. HTH

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Could you speak to a counsellor first - to go through your anxieties and feelings about this with him / her? Then you might feel more at ease about Coming Out to your parents... Alternatively, there's the biting the bullet and doing it anyway - but doing so with greater trepidation and anxiety... But if you do it with a bit of counselling first you'll realise how it would have been if you'd done it without the counselling - because you'd get the same outcome with your parents. Plus, you'll have benefitted from that bit of counselling. I hope that makes sense...

5. anotherBI

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im in the same position as you. So remember you are not alone in this. Its helpful that you know your parents will accept you for who you are. I personally think that telling them in person would be better (what I'm planning on doing) I think this because then you could answer any questions face to face and clear any confusion. You can also stick up for your position, just in case they think you might be confused. Another thing that could help is telling a close friend. Ive done this and it has helped me gain some confidence. You could use this friend as support in case they were to react badly. This way you have someone to fall onto.
    Best of luck- feel free to talk to me and the community until you feel truly ready.

6. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know how you feel!!! It’s a tough thing to think about, but after you tell them you will be amazed what a relief it is. You said you are sure they will accept you, so that’s 1/2 the battle.

Write a letter and use that as your safety net, something to look at when you tell them.

Here are a few lines I’ve used- honest to god.

(Person’s name) remember how your daughter’s godmother is a lesbian? Well, that’s how I am- except I’m not your daughter’s godmother nor am I a lesbian, I’m gay. It was nerve wracking, but a little humor breaks the tension.

I told my best friend- I have something to tell you... I’m not straight. They said- Are you gay? I said yes and cried... he came over and gave me an awesome hug!

My best coming out story happened in a van in the Walmart parking lot... I first came out to three friends and my sister. I was crying hysterically and told them I had news that after I told them they would probably hate me... I then told them I was gay. One friend said, oh is that it- I was worried you killed your mother. I was much more nervous than necessary. It’s like diving off the high dive, you can stand and worry forever or you can jump and scramble to survive. Nobody will let you drown.

Good luck, it’s a tough first step, but it will be a positive life changing event!!!

Richard321 likes this.