1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don’t believe straight men and gay men can’t ever truly be friends.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bayslap, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't offer any advice to demisexual people because I'm not demisexual. I'm a gay man who finds other men physically attractive, and I've always known it. I will happily have a one off shag with a hot guy and go straight back to my boring life immediately afterwards without ever talking to him again, and my straight friends know it and they respect that about me (they do the same thing with girls). If anything, other gay guys are more likely to be judgmental about my sex life.

If a gay guy does continue to lust after straight men despite having lots of experience having sex with gay men, then he's got issues I can't help him with.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then your issue is that you've had a bunch of really shitty straight friends, not that straight men are inherently bad.

Sure, there are people out there that are just assholes. By the way, there are plenty of gay men who are complete assholes as well. To some extent, it might vary based on where you live. On the whole, though, probably the majority of straight men have no problems with gay men. You might consider that your previous experiences may be impacting the lens through which you view straight men, and also that, in some way, you might be telegraphing the message that you aren't worthy of being treated decently. Self-esteem plays a big role in hw others perceive us, as well as how we perceive ourselves.

Stoccata and Devil Dave like this.
  3. bayslap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What do you mean by telegraphing the message that I’m I’m not worthy of being treated decently? It caught my attention.

4. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Those that have lower sex drive will not hook up with strangers

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much exactly what I said. What therapists typically see in repeating patterns where someone is treated poorly by multiple people (in friendships or relationships or even in work settings) is a pattern of behavior.

In this pattern, the people in question are in some way putting off the message that they don’t deserve to be respected, or treated well, or their boundaries honored. This isn’t a conscious thing; it is nearly always coming from a place of deep shame and unworthiness.

I will also point out that you started a thread asking for input and you have argued with nearly every poster that they are wrong. This, too, often comes from a place of insecurity: if one is genuinely seeking input, they usually appreciate what is being shared... but if they are looking for affirmation that their viewpoint is correct (which generally comes from a place of shame) then they are likely to argue with anyone whose viewpoint doesn’t match their preconceived notion.

I say this not with the intent of judging, but to give you insight into what may be going on for you here.

Devil Dave and Stoccata like this.
  6. bayslap

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never thought of it that way. Maybe I should seek a different therapist to work through the shame. Thank you.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THe unfortunate thing is, shame is really pervasive (as Brené Brown says, 'all of us have it, and the more we have it, the less we talk about it"), and yet many therapists, though they know about shame, aren't the best at working with it, because working with shame clinically always requires that the therapist be willing to go into and be aware of their own shame.

When I was at Brené's training for professionals, the group leaders that worked with my group both said that they had been conducting shame groups for years, and doing their own work outside of that.. but that they still ran into issues now and again where their own shame would come up... sometimes to the detriment of the group.

So the key is finding a therapist really fluent with shame issues, and one who is self-aware enough to know where their own issues are, and willing to acknowledge how shame affects their work. It isn't impossible to find a therapist with that skill level, but you have to look. You might check out thedaringway.com, there is a list of participating professionals trained by Brené's team who should be at least a little better than your average therapist in being competent with shame issues.

#27 Chip, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  8. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My closest friend is straight, has never said anything homophobic and has always been very supportive of my sexuality. The majority of my friends are straight. I really don't see the difference between being friends with straight and gay people, if sexuality is the defining factor of whether or not you want to be friends with someone, then that is kinda immature and on some levels discriminatory.

Lone Wolfe and Chip like this.
  9. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

• a straight man can be friends with a gay man without any issues (if the straight main isn't homophobic and the gay man isn't attracted to the straight man.)
    • a gay man can't really be friends with a straight man if he is attracted to the straight man in question (unless very clearly defined ground rules are set in place that the gay man will not overstep the straight man's personal boundaries. It might be easier for them to just avoid each other however.)
    • a straight man cannot be friends with a gay man if he is stubbornly homophobic (unless the gay man is closeting himself for the sake of the friendship which isn't a healthy/sustainable situation to be in.)

#29 fadedstar, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018