1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I do not think I can come out yet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bendo, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Bendo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like I am wasting my life staying in the closet but I feel right now I am in a shift from my old life and getting closer to come out. I am finishing uni now and I feel like I am missing on so much but outing myself right now seems impossible. The saddest thing that I can not even do that to my closest friends and it is just like shit.
    I would appreciate someone to talk about it or something lol I just started here

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Aw, that really sucks, I'm sorry. But like they say, it gets better :slight_smile: Just keep on moving forward with your life, and one day you'll feel able to come out. Until then, sites like these can give you a place to be you.

BiGemini87 and Bendo like this.
  3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC. You could start by trying to bring up LGBT subject neutrally, like mentioning articles that you have seen about stuff. This way you can learn the attitudes of people who you know and only try coming out to those who you learn have a positive attitude. You can also look for organizations in your area which are supportive.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took my yearssss to finally come out, and even now there are plenty of times I sweep my sexuality under the rug for convivence lol.

What I found really helpful was to slowly come out in stages, and slowly build a support network to help me come out to the harder folks.

What do you think the thing is that's holding you back? Are some of your friends anti-LGBT? Fear of being vulnerable?

BiGemini87 likes this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Bendo. I'm sorry you're in this situation.

I'll pretty much echo the other questions and points made: What do you feel is holding you back from coming out? Is it the people around you? Have they voiced homophobic sentiments? Do you go to a university that isn't particularly LGBT-friendly? How about where you live? Do you think some of this is your own anxiety making you more afraid to come out?

Coming out in stages does seem to make the process easier; at least I found this was the case in my experience. But if you're in any danger of being hurt, kicked out, or anything like that, it might be best to hold off until you're in a safer, more secure situation. I know that sucks, and it isn't fair that people have to hide something so simple about themselves--but unfortunately, we don't always live in an ideal world.

Is there anyone you can confide in at all? Family, friend, anyone? I definitely second the suggestion of putting feelers out on how people react to LGBT topics, though bringing these things up organically can be pretty challenging.

LostInDaydreams likes this.