1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did something bad (help ASAP?)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't a serious emergency I don't think but I feel really sick and I don't know what to do. I've had an issue with cutting for a long time but I've always avoided the veins because I was scared. Well today, on an impulse I cut over a vein...just one on my finger because my mom checks my arms and legs but I could've passed this off as a paper cut and it was bleeding for like ten minutes and I feel so sick. I don't know if I did it deeper than I should've (not that I should do it at all) but it didn't stop like it normally does. It didn't like spurt blood or anything but I don't know what to do and I swear I'd stop cutting if I could just get out of this "emergency" because it's disgusting. I swear I immediately started crying afterwards, probably just because I'm grossed out and I'm going to have to tell my friends because they'll see the cuts on my hand. I think it stopped bleeding now anyway but I'm scared that I don't know, the vein's gonna collapse or something and my brother saw me get the bandaids so he's probably gonna tell my mom that I cut again and I don't know what to do because my really scared. You'd think after three years of self-harm I'd be immune to this sort of thing. I don't know if I wash it or not, I don't know if I tell my friends or not because I could still pass it off as paper cuts and I don't want them to be mad at me but I need someone to talk to. I don't know if I'm supposed to wash it but I feel really sick and I think I'll pass out soon, my throat feels really tight. My friend said if I didn't go deep, it wouldn't matter but it still does

2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so first things first, you need to wash it out really well with mild antibacterial soap and warm water. When it's clean, you need to assess how bad it is.
    Is it a clean, straight cut?
    Do the edges stay together on their own or do you have to hold them?
    Is it over a joint?
    How deep is it (approximately)? (If it is more than a millimeter or two deep you should get treatment. Since it's on your hand it will be harder for it to heal)
    The blood vessel you cut over is not going to collapse. However, if your answer to either of the first two questions is no or if the answer to the third question is yes, you should get it checked out by a doctor to make sure that it's ok. If not, you should be ok to just put some antibacterial ointment on it and re- bandage the cut. Check it once or twice a day and if it shows signs of infection you need to go to a doctor.

3. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I washed it. It's kind of crooked but it's still straight across (not all the way, like 3/4)
    They stay together now since it looks like it's healed a bit but initially I'd have to keep my finger bent for them to touch…it's not a big cut so I don't really need to physically hold it together
    It's not on a joint but it's near the joint
    I don't even think it's a millimeter deep tbh, maybe like 1/4 of a millimeter

4. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. You should be ok then as long as it doesn't get infected. Keep it clean and wrapped and you should be fine.

5. no reality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I work in a kitchen and I've gotten some pretty gnarly cuts and even though there's lots of opportunity for contamination and infection all of my injuries have healed without the need for stitches (I've been cut deep before). All you have to do is clean the cut and put a band-aid on it and it'll be fine as long as you don't bother it too much and try not to flex the finger constantly because it will just make it harder to heal.

I know It won't help much but please try not to cut yourself:frowning: