1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I chopped my hair off!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 26, 2015.

1. SnowshoeGeek

I also got the vibe of "sultry"! :icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf

You know you can put a picture of yourself on your profile, and control who sees it (just members, just friends, no one, etc.)

2. CapColors

Just a small purple star. Nothing earth shattering. Just something to mark my journey to myself. I may get a pink/blue/purple star but right now I'm thinking just purple because "total mixture" is how I feel!

3. CameronMR

4. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As soon as I have the freedom, I'm gonna go and get all my hair cut off. Although I don't mind it being so long now that I've reinforced the fact that my hair does not define me with myself XD I think I'm gonna get in in like a mid-length pixie cut when I can though. I saw a person in Keydells (a Christmas shop in the UK) today who had really short hair and they were really pretty... they were female but I don't know about their gender so I'm going neutral. But I was jealous of their hair... they had hella fine hair.

You all look fabulous, btw. *skips out of thread*

5. TeaTree

Love the hair (and you look nice too :slight_smile: ), btw I was just photoshoping my hair into different shades of crazy colours, to see which one should I go with :grin: But I don't know...Me and decisions...so many options...About haircut, I've already got a more or less short hair, though I'm a bit annoyed with it, because the girl who cut it told me that when it will grow it will look choppy (which I was looking forward too), but instead it's rearranging itself into this good-girl shape lately. And it's neither straight neither choppy neither curly...well it's like me now I guess :grin: Difficult to find a label for.

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey right on baristajedi. I went short too....about 34 years ago. But hey, I still love it! Much easier to manage. Personally I think it is very attractive when women have short hair.

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone :slight_smile:. And Cap, I hope you keep us updated about the tat!

8. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Barista Jedi yay a ! ✨
    Good to hear

Yes I am going through the same that re connection is great isn't it :slight_smile:
    I am booking my hair appoint today - I want it gone ...
    Am havin a short pixie type cut -
    Part of my long hair was about appeasing men now I don't do that I feel that short hair will bring me outwardly in line with how I feel inwardly -
    Strong gay women -
    I've wanted this for so long and denied it - I am also going to an Ariel hope class tonight - something I've also wanted for so long - this yr I have lost 3 stone -

I have been struggling with gender issues but thank u to this forum I have come to a place of stability -

So yes celebrate create and express
    Enjoy your new ness to you

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 11:49 PM ----------

Hair is a big spiritual / emotional holder
    I know someone who does spiritual haircuts ...
    I've also found it a big emotional release too
    When i look back all my shorter cuts have been after coming out of relationship -
    This time however it is that and more :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 11:49 PM ----------

That should read Ariel hoop class

9. SnowshoeGeek

Funny, me too! And every hairdresser I've ever been to says that this is a very common occurrence. For me short hair means independence I think.

I do wonder about most men and their feelings about our hair. I've met more than one woman who said "My husband won't let me cut it off." Heck, I've said that too.

I think I have to stop there, because this is going to devolve into a tirade on patriarchy and this is NOT the place for that!

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you are enacting a lot of great changes in your life :slight_smile:. I have the same experience with long hair only to appease a man. I rarely had/wanted long hair, and mostly had it as a favor to a boyfriend or my now husband. I feel like cutting it off allows me to feel and express my strength.
    Btw what is Ariel hoop? So curious!

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 06:43 AM ----------

Down with the patriarchy! I'm up for a convo on that :slight_smile:.

#30 baristajedi, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. Lindsey23

Good for you! It looks cute. It's fun to switch things up isn't it? I'm looking to update my style but I'm not sure how to do it. I won't cut my hair, so I'll have to figure something else out.

I don't like rainbows either! It used to bother me that that was our symbol. I have mixed feelings about plaid, trying to figure out if I can fit that into my wardrobe...not sure yet. Ever since I heard that plaid is a lesbian thing I've been noticing women in plaid and I immediately think they're gay. They can't all be though...

12. Really

Hell, yes, they are! Or lumberjacks. One or t'other.

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the things I like about cutting hair is that it's always with you. It's a very constant visual expression. I wonder if a tat, or maybe accessories that you can wear on a regular basis can achieve a similar feeling for you?

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 10:51 PM ----------

I can't wait for my flannel to arrive (I ordered it and it's taking forever to arrive).

#33 baristajedi, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  14. Distant Echo

Seriously lol you guys have me actively looking for flannel shirts when I opshop now

15. Lindsey23

Hmm...there must be more lumberjacks in my community than I realized...interesting.

I've thought about wearing more jewelry, maybe getting some new rings. Hey, does anyone know if a thumb ring has any significance in the LGBT community? I know someone who sometimes wears one...just curious...

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm a lumberjack today :slight_smile:! Wearing my flannel :icon_bigg.

About the thumb ring.... I don't know. But Autostraddle says:

"Thumb Rings: Popular culture seems to believe that if a woman wears a silver thumb ring, she’s telling the world she’s a big ole lesbian–though there seems to be some confusion over whether to wear it on the left or right thumb and what that signifies."

From here: I Saw The Sign: LGBT Symbols Then And Now | Autostraddle

17. Really

i think I might be an outlier here but I don't feel any particular desire to give visual expression to my gayness. I can feel it inside me and that's enough for me. Now maybe when I enter the mating world I'll feel different but I expect my actions to speak for me. Now, this isn't saying I'm trying not to look gay. I suspect it might be a toss-up as to whether I do or don't. Clothes/decoration have never been a means to an end for me and I can't see them becoming now.

I would like to cut my hair but that's only because I'm tired of it. I'm not interested in a tattoo so that's out. The only accessories I wear are two heavy silver rings and a watch. If they look "gay", I don't know but they certainly aren't "girly". I have experimented wearing a thumb ring but so far it doesn't feel natural, like it wouldn't on my index finger either because I'm not used to it.

I guess what I'm saying is, what's inside me says I'm gay and anything you see on the outside is just whatever "style" I've developed over the years. It's just that these days I'm more interested in making myself look a bit more sharp-ish.