1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my mom and it went badly

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Otto, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Otto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll keep this short because I wouldn't want to summarize a 3 hour conversation with sobbing and yelling. It was that bad

So my mom is a conservative christian and she knew I was trans* because I basically told her before, but I didn't give a label.

She basically went on a whole rant about how being trans is a sin and that she's losing her daughter and all that.

I get that she's hurt and she feels like I'm rebelling against her, but she kept calling me a girl even after I told her to stop. When I said that I wasn't a girl she laughed. Its really distressing for me and I feel really invalidated. I don't know how to convince her to at least use more gender neutral language so that I'm not completely invalidated every time that she talks to me/about me.

2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not trans, but I know there’s a book by a gentleman by the name of “Austin Harte” called “Transforming: The Bible and Lives of Transgender Christians”. Austin is a trans man who grew up in conservative evangelical churches. If your mom is Christian, it might give you some ideas about how to talk to her. He also has some talks on YouTube if you can’t get access to the book.