1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my grandma

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Dryad, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :older_woman:

So a few days ago I came out to my grandma. I went to the village cause it's summer. We were already pretty close, but this year we spent much time together and had many conversations, so I felt like we bonded more. She's not very old for a grandma, just turned 70 but she has had an arranged marriage and maintains kind of a "traditional" mindset about things; me and my mother tell her dirty jokes and she laughs bashfully before saying "how did I give life to such little whores". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: She has met my (now ex - I suppose - it's complicated) girlfriend because we stayed in the house together for a week but I introduced her as a friend.

So one night we were about to sleep and as the beds were close, we were talking and I felt like making a confession. Firstly, I asked her what she thinks about gay people. She said they are treated badly by the society unfortunately and that she accepts them cause their kind of love is love too and because one of her nieces - my aunt - is a lesbian. Then I asked about bisexual people. She said she's never thought about that and stared at the ceiling puzzled. Eventually she asked why I was interested in that topic to which I responded "I was just thinking about it". Then I asked her if she ever liked a woman and she replied "No... to this point, only men. Do you love a girl?" Hiding half my face in the pillow I said "not at this point". "Hmmm was she this friend of yours?" "You want the truth? We were together." "Yes... I had suspected something." Then she asked me if I was sure I was gay, I said I was bi and had to explain what this meant and how it's - not - a - phase. She said she'd prefer that I wasn't because I'm her little grandchild and she loves me and doesn't want me to suffer. I said "times are changing" in a cheerful tone and she replied "I hope so" before we said goodnight to each other and fell asleep.

So after all it was a pretty good response, I wasn't expecting it. Hoever, the following days she seemed to have mixed feelings about it. The next day she told me it was a phase and she knows me and that I haven't found a good manly man yet. But the days after, she seemed ok talking with me and my mother about my ex. I won't try to explain more to her, I just didn't want to hide my orientation since we were talking about various things and I don't like lying about it.

Twist likes this.