1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am tired of Drama, and I don't want to hear about guns killing people! ARGH!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deaf Not Blind

On this we agree.

I don't like how it always ends up a focus on guns, all of them, ban quick! That happens because we want a quick easy solution, done. All better, go back to eating a sandwich.

You all know here how we have a lot to deal with from questioning to accepting and to coming out and getting on with life. Well, that takes a lot of work, study, and getting over the irrational emotional parts and thinking how can I make this REALLY work out, my life?

Well, the problem with violence is also a deep issue, that can't be solved by grabbing away everybody's bullets. There is a root to it, deep down, and many of our nation are deep in denial of it. We have here a problem of mental issues unaddressed....some are homeless in our nation as they closed a lot of mental facilities in the 1980s...and also a heart issue, they were not likely brought up in a good environment.

If we don't dig a LOT deeper and go where it is uncomfy, the root of all evil, then we will see slaughter regardless of weapon, be in machine gun, rifle, bomb strapped to body, car bomb, mail bomb, or jet liners crashing into buildings. We can't ban everything. The person who killed is the issue.

As for the girl who started me fuming on here, she has her own mental issues. Bi-polar girls are emotional not rational when very happy or very sad, and she was very sad. I do not intend to unfreind her just over this. She COULD unfriend me, because I didn't play into it. It was drama, trust me I know her. She gets very very passionate about some things I am sure you would also roll eyes on. I just let her talk, but I also try to reason. Today she didn't want to hear any rational thoughts just be allowed to drill me with all her feelings and I am human too...I don't like death and I didn't want to hear her telling me all this shit...and I didn't tolerate being told I caused 5 year olds to die. she never once talked about a differentiation of types of guns, she only has a wild hate of all death and guns and don't even want to eat...

that is right, she told me she has decided to starve for several days as she can't eat and let anything die. yeah, even veggies. Believe me, please, I am much more rational than my friends.

2. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    facebook is filled with drama these days. I was about ready to quit facebook forever when I saw a bunch of my friends pictures on their wall of "support chik fil a day"

3. Deaf Not Blind

I know what u mean. I had that+ same time a gay buddy saying if anybody eats there you are not my friends. And some peeps told me they just like the food, nothing political. Honestly its a chicken joint, i don't see why both sides act this way over a chicken fast food place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I keep FB cuz I have friends too far away otherwise ill be alone.

4. FemCasanova

But don`t you still agree, that if assault rifles/other high effective killing weapons are easily acceccible to everyone, then the chances increase that some nutcase will use them to kill people? I don`t mean that all weapons should be banned from everyone, but that as long as it is so easy for whomever to get a hold of one, these incidents will simply continue. Why can`t there at least be a more thorough check of the people buying these weapons, so that only people who actually need it for hunting, professional competicions, handguns for home defence, etc, can aquire them, instead of it being possible to aquire over a counter? That`s all I am saying. I completely agree that people kill people, but if the means of doing so is easily accessed, that is, the means to effective killing large number of people, then large numbers of people will die. And that`s a shame.

I actually feel sad every time I walk past a newspaper stand now, here in Norway, because 20 dead children is devastating and pictures and articles are on every front page it feels like. It makes my stomach turn. I have young siblings, 6 and 8 years old, and honestly, with as many school shootings as the USA has had over the last decade, I would be scared for my children if they went to a public school. Though China has had a lot of incidents lately as well, with stabbing of children in kintergarden. So, don`t get me wrong, I am not saying anything against the US here.

Ultimately, the only guilty one is the one who is pulling the trigger, but we don`t have to make is easy for him!

5. aidan

"guns don't kill people, they're just tools people use to kill people" still seems to me like an argument for gun control

and also this is important

6. Level75

People are always quick to find something to blame every time something like this happens. I swear, the bodies weren't even cold yet and news outlets and the internet were already in a fierce debate about gun control or whether there is too much violence in the media. I don't think the victims even got 30 seconds of a moment of silence this time around. And, to me, that is really what is wrong with what's going on. This isn't a time for remembrance so much as it is an opportunity to sell newspapers.

Hey, I'm proud to admit I'm probably as liberal as anybody here. But even I cringed when the very first thing I saw on Facebook, before I even knew what was going on and that children were involved, was a mocking, sassy, sarcastic quip about how Republicans were to blame for school shootings.

In the coming week, the word is going to be all about anything and everything about this incident. As far as I'm concerned, 26 people are dead because some monster mowed them all down at an elementary school. And that's all we need to know. All kinds of crazy, violent crap happens in the world all the time and nobody bats an eye. So why all the buzz now? Because we love to be shocked and outraged.

Instead, we're going to have debates that ultimately are not going to change any policy. The killer's motives and background will be dissected and scrutinized. And years from now, we're not even going to remember the children. Adam Lanza, on the the other hand, will get his very own Wikipedia page.

#26 Level75, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  7. Deaf Not Blind

you, my friend, are 100% right on the nose!
    I am a conservative, more GOP, and also not a gun owner...although my grandparents had a few for hunting just stored unlocked in the closet.

Fact is it is about selling, ads for stuff on TV and other media pay high prices for being placed near good selling segments, where lots of viewers are. Better ratings equates profits. we are being hurt now...used...we have Americans who are sensitive and emotional freaking out and crying not enjoying Holidays...all to the joy of some greedy tycoon's pocketbook.

There are 2 things utilized to sell: FEAR and SEX.
    If you want to, look at billboards and ads in magazines, which ones have sexy peeps in it and maybe hanging onto each other (straight) over some product that is irrelevant..maybe a beer, or a car, or candy?

Then see in newspapers and on TV where all the fears are...not just the "killings", but they may talk of rapes, home burglaries, domestic abuse, etc...anything violent that is graphic and would make a normal person cower...they dig deep into it, and surrounding it, just before and just after are prominent ads for what?

Yes humans when something bad happens, the mind wants to prevent it from ever occurring again. That is how prejudices develop too btw...you get mugged by a black man, next time you see a guy built like him same color, your mind feels fear, you walk opposite side of street...human response is to protect yourself. It takes a LOT of calm rational focused thought to overcome that too.

But with media frenzy, they dupe us all. They are inflictors of suffering because they don't just report on a story, they bleed it dry for viewers to be caught up in it. That makes many of us unable to calm down, think, be rational...and the fear factor un-ending just makes that protective response desperate for immediate solution...to stop the horror we keep seeing.

But in reality there are strict laws in place, wait periods, background checks...lots of things that slow a person from buying guns. If they have a felony or are known to be mentally ill, there are also laws that forbid them from buying firearms already. How do hate filled, evil hearted, crazy loons get their hands on the weapons? Various ways, but often its not through the legal process, it is by theft or black-market.

Ultimately guns themselves are not the problem. Ours stayed in the closet for about 30 years unused, just randomly looked at. It is the mental state of the person, the hate in some of their hearts, the lack of caring and love in our daily lives to everybody...that is the real problem. For the future, there is no instant quick fix. Sorry, murder happened before gunpowder, and will always occur. The way to make less of violent crimes is to start with infants, and show them all of their lives, even as 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 year olds...they are loved, respected, cherished...and that they must also love others back in the same way. If everybody chooses to be there for their kids, and for others who are missing a parent step in and spend real time with them, this will cut down on all sorts of atrocities.

If we are too busy to do that, don't expect a law to make it all better.

8. Ticklish Fish

#28 Ticklish Fish, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.