1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT and Muscle Mass

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hanyauku, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm curious as to anyone's experience with how going on HRT affected your muscle mass, and your ability to build new muscle mass. To clarify, I'm currently not muscular, so I'm not worried about keeping muscle mass, and that's not something I would want, anyway. What I'm wondering about is how much muscle mass I could expect to build once I'm on HRT? Like, if I don't start out until I'm on hormones, and then I do some strength building exercises, do you think I would build a lot of muscle mass? I like running, so that's my current work out regimen, but I've been interested in things like rock climbing and boxing for a while, I've always just avoided it because I'm scared to build any kind of muscle. I would love to be strong, but not overly muscular, in the way a lot of strong cis girls are, if that's possible.

2. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been into fitness and bodybuilding for over 20 years, I can tell you that it's 90% genetic in any case.
    Are you naturally thin with a fast metabolism? Then you'll have no worries about building unwanted muscle mass. Rock climbing certainly won't bulk you up: go to any rock climbing gym, besides, since the goal is moving your own body weight around, mass gains are counter productive in this sport.
    Running is the best exercise there is, IMO, because almost anyone can do it, anywhere, for very little cost, and it works the whole body.
    Most gyms have a circuit of machines for total body weight training. Keep the weights at about 60% of your max lift, 12-15 repetitions, 1 set, 2-3 times per week.
    You will get stronger, without adding bulk, in fact, you will probably cut leaner if you're still running as well. Don't overeat, no protein supplements, just sensible eating. Lots of water. Like, lots.
    Finish workout with a good ten to fifteen minute stretching/ yoga type routine.
    Keep at it, before summer you'll see good, visible results.

Mihael and Hanyauku like this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a limit. I don't know how it works if you've got testosterone in your system as the dominant sex hormone, but with female hormones, there is a limit you reach and can't bulk up much more. And it's a lean muscle kind of limit. It looks good. I'm also worried about not bulkng up, and generally speaking what bulks people up the most is weight lifting. Other kinds of exersice not so much. You become wiry if anything with other kinds of sport.

That's interesting to know about it being genetic.