1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you describe your style?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rainy30, Jul 8, 2018.

1. rainy30

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I’d love to know all about your personal style and fashion sense. I’m bi and 23, and my style has gradually changed over the years. Throughout all my life before coming out, I was VERY femme. Yet, after coming out at the age of 20, I felt so much more comfortable within myself to experiment with fashion and use it as a tool of self-expression. I finally felt free from the societal pressures that tell a straight woman how she ‘should’ dress. So, I went through a slight tomboy phase - wore less makeup, stopped wearing dresses and heels because I really didn’t f*cking want to, got a few more piercings, stopped painting my nails, and mostly wore jeans/jackets/sneakers.

However, I’m struggling with my style right now and I feel stuck. I perceive my style to be so boring and I don’t know what to do! These days (when out in public), I’ll wear skinny jeans, sneakers or biker boots, and a t-shirt and jacket. Maybe I need to accessorise more!? I don’t know. Any tips? Did you ever feel your style was boring? I see many gay/bi girls with the coolest swag and hip style, and I’ll never be able to pull that off even though I want to.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a girl but I was super into looking fashionable for a few years. I would spend hours every week setting up outfits and making sure all shaving and grooming was perfect at all times. What I discovered is that your style doesn't matter, just wear and do what you like. Don't compare yourself to other people - I was wearing designer clothes and shoes with expensive jewelry every day at one point and I still wasn't happy with how I looked, because I was doing it for other people's approval to try to feel socially validated. I stopped doing that mostly, and my friends don't care, I still get treated the same now as I did back then. Fashion is one of those things people put way too much emphasis on. Other people don't really care what you wear so just wear what you like even if you think it's boring.

These days I just wear basic things like jeans and a normal t-shirt, and yeah maybe it's boring but I don't care - I still think it looks nice and it's so much easier than spending all that effort being fashionable. I'm experimenting with facial hair too when I'd usually just be clean-shaven.

3. Loves books

When I was a kid up to age 9 I wouldn't wear trousers. I had a pair of pink jeans which were the only pair of trousers I would wear, it drove my mother mad. When I finally consented to wearing a pair of jeans I started my style. By 12 I wouldn't wear a dress and my style hasn't changed since. I wear jeans, t-shirts and jumpers when it's cold. The only shoes I own are sneakers and a pair of flat soled boots that were a gift. The last time I wore a dress was 10 years ago for a dance, there was no other choice. My style hasn't changed in 14 years.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup! This!

I was always scared of looking too gay, but now I really don't care. I guess I dress a bit "more gay" these days, a little bit more colour, some short sleeve button ups. That being said, I still repeat clothes a tad too much, and probably don't match a bit lol

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mostly wear things I find comfortable, but decent looking. During the summer, I wear cargo shorts and T-shirts. In the winter, I wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt. One of the more unique things about my styles is that I paint my fingernails pink.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Practical. Everyday = boots, blue jeans and black t shirt. Work same but with uniform shirt. Dressed up, same but with a button shirt tucked in.

7. Xochipilli

OP, I’m also stuck! I feel like I dress better now than in the past, but my current style is best described as “perpetually at the office” which is not a fun look. The realization hit me when I saw a picture of myself and my dad and we were dressed similarly while on vacation!
    :face_palm:
    I guess I may try brighter/bolder colors. I don’t know.

8. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am interested in woman's shirts lately

9. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was really androgynous as a teen but I was able to pull it off by being in a band but then again hard rock as popular back in the early 90s; I had the long hair tight jeans etc...I was a guy who had string feminine traits...now that I’m older and still teetering in full disclosure; I like skinny jeans, a button down shirt (untucked) with several buttons undone

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been told I look like a writer, or a professor, by the way i dress. I tend to go for a worn tailored look. When I'm lazing around the house though it's usually just a t shirt and sweatpants.

#10 Kodo, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I normally wear grey slim fit pants, vans, stripped and button up shirts, and a blazer. I'm a massive nerd lol.

12. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Typical. Guy. Jeans, t shirts shorts.

13. tystnad

tystnad Guest

i take a lot of pride in describing my style in negative terms - ugly, messy, poor taste. i’ll walk into a store and instantly feel attracted to a shirt with a pattern that would make any fashion expert want to quit their jobs. “it’s so ugly i love it” is how i generally explain things i just bought... typically oversized tops or dungarees, mismatched patterns and colours, bright socks with prints even when i’m dressed up, and always black jeans (except when wearing dungarees). androgynous in the sense that i believe clothes have no gender and that i don’t really embrace anything typically considered feminine or masculine but not in the way it is often pictured (not tomboyish and definitely not the well dressed fancy suit kind of androgyny). a style that apparently reads very gay by other gay women :slight_smile:

consciously defying societal ideas of what’s pretty and what’s fashion has been incredibly liberating and embracing negative words is super empowering. i never dressed particularly gender conforming and was often mistaken for a boy when i was little, but that was mostly because my mum dressed me and loved boy’s clothes (but nowadays she complains when i wear men’s clothes because being gnc is only cute if you’re a kid i guess...) and not because i actively chose to. only ever owned one skirt and really disliked wearing it. interestingly, since i’ve stopped caring about what people think about the way i look and about the things society considers beautiful, i’ve received significantly more compliments about the way i dress... which just confirms that being comfortable with the way you look plays a major role in how you’re perceived regardless of what your style is! i really had to grow into that though, even though i was never very feminine i still had phases where i felt pressured to be and it just made me hide in large hoodies and loose pants whose only purpose was just so i could hide myself and it was a long way from there to buying clothes i like bc they look good on me and not bc they allow me to disappear.

14. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I often feel this way. I don't dress particularly any way. I wear no makeup, have mediumish short hair that I mostly just wear loose, and mostly wear shorts and tshirts or dressier tops. I don't wear a lot of jewelry either, maybe a necklace and my Alex and Ani bracelets. I have a handbag that I carry that pretty much goes with everything. But my style does feel incredibly boring sometimes, and I don't think anyone would recognize I'm bi by the way I dress.

#14 Love4Ever, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  15. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The only thing unusual is when I occasionally wear women’s underwear and/or a butt plug. That is fairly rare though

16. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very casual. During the summer I wear shorts or tight cut offs and a T-shirt, vans shoes.

For winter just substitute shorts for jeans and add in a sweatshirt or jacket. High top vans.

I wouldn’t mind changing my style as I do feel like I’m aging out of it. I’ve never been super into fashion so it’s a slightly daunting task since I really don’t know where to start.

17. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My fashion style is made of basicaly anything I find cool and/or somewhat elegant. So yea that's a nice variety of clothes. I also like to buy some clothes just so I can make one specific set. For example I have skiny ripped black jeans which I combine only with a black shirt and vine purple coloured hoodie.

Well aside from those I usually wear simple blue jeans with any shirt and black or gray hoodie. Then there are my summer sets which are consisted of few combinations of shorts and hoodies & T-shirts. I also have one really cool coat <3

But despite my endeavour to look cool most of people consider my clothing style gay. Honestly I've never seen any guy in my town dress decently so maybe that's why ;P

18. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dress edgy with lots of leather and spikes and mesh, but I also am laid-back and nerdy with marvel & star wars and graphic tee shirts and tanks and wear skinny jeans and shorts a lot and have an obsession with combat boots. But, I wear hats a lot and am always pursuing the newest style. And when I'm lounging around dress sporty with shorts/spandex and tanks.
    People call me the edgy fandom nerd lolz

19. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My style is simple: t shirts, jeans, shorts, sweatpants, sneakers, occasionally boots, and flip flops.

That being said, the styles I wear, and the styles I want to wear are different. A lot of the stuff I like is either out of my price range or is made too small for me to fit in, so I have to resort to wearing simple stuff.

20. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be pretty much smart-goth, but these days I'm more a jeans/t-shirt/hoodies/sarouel/combat boots person. Mostly because of convenience: I still enjoy corsets and stuff, but I have something like 15 minutes to get ready in the morning (unless I want to get up at ungodly o'clock), plus I walk minimum 8-10 km every day... Heeled shoes had to go after I almost destroyed my ankles trying to walk that much in those.

Ironically, I looked much more like a 'grown up lady' when I was in my 20s. Now I look like... an IT geek, actually. Which is the truth anyway. XD