1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How was high school for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jan 4, 2015.

?

Was high school the best or worst years of your life?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2015.
  1. Best years of my life

14.5%
  2. Worst years of my life

42.1%
  3. Average

42.1%
  4. I'm homeschooled

1.3%
  1. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on what year we're talking about. Freshman year was surprisingly okay. I had great friends and my classes weren't bad.

Sophomore year sucked. The summer before my best friend moved away, leaving me a full outcast. I had a few people that I ate lunch with but I didn't really consider them friends. I developed a crush on a guy that was a real jerk. The kind of guy that flirts with everyone and wasn't really interested in a relationship.

Junior year was pretty good. I took AP Lit and we had a really close-knit class. I finally found a group of new friends. I went on a "date" (it was never officially anything more than friends, but I still consider it my first date) with one of my best guy friends. The guy I had a crush on-and-off on for the last five years decided he hated me and started to bully me relentlessly.

Senior year was fantastic. Good friends, great classes. Dated my first boyfriend for three months.

2. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mostly just went through the motions

3. tonysaur

tonysaur Guest

Eh. Tenth grade is okay. Most of my friends knew I'm not straight, I'm like ready to tell the rest of the school shady XD

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The last 2 of high school and the first 2 of college were probably the worst years of my life.

For the high school part, I was fairly positive going in, had some friends, but it just wore on me and I lost motivation as it inched on.

For the college part, I went in feeling much like I did at the end of high school and then it picked up in midstream, with better scholastic performance and more friends.

The sad part is that, on paper, my performance was still very good, but not what it could have looked like had I not been "cycling" the way I was.

5. Tardis2020

I'm halfway through freshman year. It's not too bad. More work than previously, but also more extracurricular things. Socially...meh, no one is really my friend, more like acquaintances who are friends only in school.

6. cryptic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a senior with 4 months of high school left... and literally, I feel like crying at the thought of leaving this school. Especially this year has been great. I've made some friends I could trust with my life, came out to some of them and they're really supportive, I've actually started going out and discovered that I like having fun, my class is really nice, my school is beautiful and even though I have to study a bit... well, it was inevitable.

7. poppet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I enjoyed school. I love learning and seeing my friends everyday. My teachers were awesome and made it all the much more better. I have a pretty good memory and love writing so had pretty good grades. I had a lot of friends, but only one or two close ones that I'll keep in touch with.

Sure, sometimes I woke up and didn't want to go, but overall I quite liked high school. I graduated two months ago and already miss t :frowning2:

8. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since I've had depressions since high-school and not during, I'm not sure I'd say worst years of my life.... but definitely not the best, that's for sure!

I wasn't bullied so much as more or less ignored. I tried to make friends but that didn't really work out most of the time. At some point I did have friends but they were in a different class so I was still the last to be picked out when making teams etc.

Then there was the matter of my flavour of christianity (my parents's more like) being distincly different from most and the need to explain and justify (which had also happened during primary school) was really gettting tiresome and was also alienating in and of itself.

I sort of got myself through it but I didn't enjoy it and don't have many good memories. I did become more of a recluse because of it and find it hard to approach people.

High school taught me to expect rejection, I suppose, and that is what I dislike the most about the whole experience and how it still affects me today. I find it hard to trust people in general, find it hard to believe they actually like me, and keep myself distanced just in case people will hurt me again.

I do have some friends right now, but I still have problems with being shy and finding it sometimes difficult to be sociable and expect people to be friendly in return. I guess I just expect the worst to protect myself but at the same time that expectation keeps me more isolated than I'd like to be as well....

So definitely need to work on that, to no longer let high school experiences still have such an effect on my life today

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High school and middle school have been the best years of my life so far. They've been filled with so many memorable experiences and wonderful friends to spend it with. I can't wait for college, though.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Terrible

11. Average Joe

I voted average, but I guess it was slightly better than that. I never experienced any kind of bullying at school (though I wasn't out to anyone back then) and I met a few friends that I still keep in touch with, many years after graduation.

I'm also surprised and saddened to see that so many people voted worst years of my life. I hope it gets better soon for all of you.

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a special education school. It was okay not brilliant

13. Lyana

I voted worst years of my life because it was definitely below average. It was pretty sh**ty. I was bullied. I had a small group of close friends, but pretty much disliked everyone else, and they disliked me.

College was a deliveration. I love the people here. Only thing I miss is the easy classes.

14. TheStormInside

High school was not too bad. By that time people around me had matured, were sort of interested in their own affairs rather than getting into the way of others. I had some rough times dealing with social anxiety and depression but I also had a solid group of friends, participated in extra curriculars, and did well academically. My major bully had sort of disappeared from school for awhile, turned out she had issues of her own and the rumor was she was actually institutionalized for a short while. After that I think she was around but I never saw much of her.

Jr. High on the other hand was miserable, I was bullied quite badly from late elementary to Jr. High school. In elementary my one close friend turned into a vicious bully. In Jr. High I was harassed pretty much everywhere I went by this one girl and her group of friends who'd decided I was a lesbian (didn't even know it myself then :eusa_doh: ).

College, however, was much much better. To those of you having a rough time in Jr High/High School, hang in there!

15. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great, loved it.

Remained in the closet, and just focused on doing well and getting along with people, also spending time with friends I knew I would never see again after it finished.

16. Randomcloud

High school was actually great for me.. I loved the school itself and its teaching styles and values (it's a very art, history and music-focused school and pretty left-wing).
    In university (I'm in my 3rd year) it's just more difficult to make friends...I still see my high school friends on a regular basis.

I think my school was rare in that it was very LGBT+ accepting. I kind of regret being in denial and not coming out back then because I'm sure it would have been fine. For example, my friend in my class (male) wore the girls school uniform (which included a skirt) every day and the teachers and students did not bat an eye :')

17. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It was okay, I only started to feel more social towards people other than my friends at the end. I wish It could have been like that from the start.

18. changetheworld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Between average and the worst years of my life. It wasn't horrible but in the last 2 years it became ridiculously strict in regards to uniform and my homeroom teacher and head of school teacher became really nasty towards the students to the point where a lot of other teachers noticed. I'm glad I'm finally finished and I never have to go back again.

19. Rainbows~Exist

I'm finishing this year and I CAN'T WAIT! It hasn't been terrible but it hasn't been great either, just kind of 'meh'. I'm really looking forward to college though :grin:

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At points it was awful, but at other times it was a lot of fun. Compared to my horrible, prison-like middle school, it was a huge improvement...you could even leave campus on your lunch break/study hour time, and this was great, 'cause my study hour was right by my lunch break, so we'd walk down to the arcade, or out and have lunch, so it felt very liberating. I was lucky to have gone to such a laid-back shcool.