1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How was high school for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jan 4, 2015.

?

Was high school the best or worst years of your life?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2015.
  1. Best years of my life

14.5%
  2. Worst years of my life

42.1%
  3. Average

42.1%
  4. I'm homeschooled

1.3%
  1. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I only spent a brief time in a mainstream secondary, which was pretty hellish. After that it was mostly just trying to get through it till it was over, navigate the twisted politics of the system, avoiding certain people that I didn't get along with and maintaining some diplomacy with those I did. I didn't really know anyone very well or with any longevity.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. emmyee

emmyee Guest

Awful. I was the weird fat girl. Still am, as a matter of fact, lol. I dropped out when I was 16 and got my GED at 19.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still in it, and it's torture. I feel like the point of attending school is to produce extreme anxiety and apprehension. o.o I don't talk very much because I don't have many friends there, the loads of homework stress me out, and I hate having so many strangers around me. Worst experience of my life (so far).

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine is essentially the same. It's wonderful; queer sex, soft drugs, fashion and academic excellence are what we're known for. :lol: There's little bullying and the greatest pressure is getting the scores we need to get to the universities we want - that can be stressful, but it's a healthy sort of pressure to have, unlike failing to fit in with a clique.

My old school (secondary school is divided into high school and college, the latter of which consists of the last two years and is what I'm in now) was less interesting, but it was by no means bad. Because grades didn't count towards university applications until last year, I was able to sail through with high grades without really pressuring myself. I had friends, but I wasn't particularly close to them in the same way as I am now.

Like most teens, I've forged my identity in these years. Last year marked a big change and the pressure has done me some good, I think. I also dropped the friendships that I felt did me little good and picked up new friendships that feel so much healthier and productive to me. I know what I want to do and I feel I can get there. I've engaged in a lot of student groups and I really feel I'm making a network of friends whom I'll be happy to see progress and catch up with in years to come.

I wouldn't call school the best years of my life, as I hope to have even better times in the future, but it has been pretty wonderful. I don't want this to be a high point. I want this to be a stepping stone to a life I can thoroughly enjoy.

I think school is something we must make the most of, but it's certainly not to be considered an automatic high-point of life - that's a very depressing outlook.

6. Mickz

It absolutely sucks.

7. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Not too too bad I guess. Freshman year was freshman year, ya know? Get lost a few times and everyone pretty much hates you because you're the fresh meat. Sophomore year was pretty boring, I don't really remember anything big happening that year. Junior year went downhill pretty fast, that's when the initial question of sexuality popped up very briefly. It was also the start of some bad depression and severe self esteem issues. Senior year got better, mainly because I was a senior and we ruled the school. We could pretty much do whatever we wanted, and we did. Plus senior trip to Disney!

8. ChameleonSoul

I hate it. Not because of the school itself but the students who go there. For the most part, religious minorities and LGBT+ people and the main targets of harassment. For being in the Northeast, the people that live here are quite conservative and they constantly butt heads with teachers that are supposedly brainwashing their children. Either way, I graduate in six months and I couldn't care less if I ever come back to my hometown!

9. MouseKeeper

Too much sex. Not enough cake.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

11. Candace

I'm glad that I got to meet some of my lifelong friends in high school. Otherwise, it was a complete joke compared to college. I'm so glad that I'm out of there and never have to go through public schooling ever in my life again. Just...no thank you.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't have very good friends. They all irl role-played with original characters, and I did too because it was the only way to interact with them, but I didn't like it. And then my mom died. And then I tried to talk to one of my friends for real...and she responded in character...

So then I didn't talk to them basically at all for the remaining 3 years...:|

I only talk to one of my high school friends now, and it was only after school that we learned anything about one another.

13. Formality

Highschool was both my best and my worst years so far.
    The reason for the worst is I was very very depressed back and forth for about 1½ years. I had injuries from skiing like a broken thumb, and knees that fucked up. Which pretty much ruined my training throughout highschool. I didn't get one complete season without injuries that meant "no skiing".

Best because I had a lot of fun with my friends. I had my own apartment all throughout. I went skiing everywhere around Sweden. I went to Holland skiing, I went to Italy, Austria, Switzerland. I learned more of who I was and, according to my teachers, changed a lot from my first to my last year. In a positive way.

All n all I had the greatest time ever, but also the worst time ever. But if it weren't for the bad times, I wouldn't be who I am today

#33 Formality, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. flyawayfree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe high school wasn't the best years of my life, but the first two years at least, where pretty great. I went to a very small school with excellent teachers (for 9th and 10th). 11th and 12th grade things were not as good, but I had a lot of awesome opportunities and I had a blast doing sports.

15. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worst years of my life. We moved house AGAIN. I got bullied. I guess introducing myself first and asking if anyone wanted to fight my pokemon... was a great way to make myself a target. It only got worse from there.

I spent a lot of time in a group for kids with behavioral problems. Everyone in this group was very nice to me. Except that one time a few of them threw glass bottles at German tourists. The main thing is we reached an understanding.

I also led a successful business project despite being in physical pain. I found a powerful strength within myself. Thus I can't say high school was 100% bad. And most of my teachers were pretty awesome.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High school itself was actually alright. My high school years were awful. I grew up closeted in a very religious family in Utah, was completely convinced that if I ever told anyone they would all hate me, I'd be disowned, etc. etc. etc. I ended up trying to kill myself my senior year of high school and was out of school for three months.

On a sidenote, when I finally did come out, absolutely none of what I feared happened. Not a damn thing--my family, friends and community all rallied wonderfully. So glad I didn't manage to successfully kill myself over something that turned out to be absolutely nothing. Such a waste either way...

17. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Eh. I was looking forward to getting out of school, but no one messed with me in high school (aside from a few guys with their poor attempts at flirting.) I punched a girl for threatening me, and that was the end of any attempts at bullshit.

Now my senior year was awesome simply because I was homeschooled. I didn't plan on going to graduation anyway, and I skipped the 'senior project' which was a graded scrapbook.:eusa_doh:

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  19. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from the holidays, school was terrible for me. Got along splendidly with my teachers, but I was bullied so I didn't really enjoy going to school, only to be called names and having people spit in my hair. So yeah, not exactly a walk in the park for me :icon_sad:

20. Thedistra

I dropped out as soon as I turned 16, that probably says it all right there.

I wasn't bullied much really, I was just I don't know let's say lonely.