1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to train a trans-feminine voice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Redbud123, May 6, 2022.

1. Redbud123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone!

About 5 months ago I fell into the wonderful world of VRchat. A pc and virtual reality game/ social hang out. I figured it was a perfect place to practice my feminine voice, and after a while, ended up presenting as feminine upwards of 90% of the time I am on.

I feel pretty comfortable with my voice now and think I pass well, and now I have a few friends who are interested in learning how to do a feminine voice themselves. The thing is, it's been a few years since I learned the basics, and I'm having trouble deciding on how to teach someone who is new to it.

There was a time when I suggested someone try doing something with their throat muscles and they asked me how they move those muscles the way I did. And I didn't have a good answer to tell them as for how to move their own muscles. So it was a bit awkward after that, and things quickly reached a dead end, as I ran out of advice.

So does anybody here have any ideas for how to best teach a beginner on feminine voice techniques? Thanks for your help in advance!

2. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry I can’t be of help, but I love this post and will be watching with interest

3. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You tube has many videos about it.

4. Redbud123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately, that's not very helpful.
    I mean, that is how I learned, but I still come across trans people who for whatever reason, haven't taken the steps to do much about their voice. Some people need a push.
    It can be nerve wracking to work with the very thing that gives you dysphoria.

I want to help them out, but I'm not really familiar with being a teacher. I could just copy what the youtube videos do, but I was hoping for a bit more personal advice.

Has anybody had the experience of teaching somebody how to speak in a trans voice? There are a lot of people I'd like to help, but I'm not sure how to teach really.

5. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe we could put our heads together? I know nothing of trans feminine voice training, but I am literally about to walk out the door to accept a masters degree in education. So if you want to speak broadly on techniques for imparting knowledge, that’s something I know a bit about.
    My first suggestion would be to think about a curriculum. Begin by writing down everything you want you students to know by the end of their time with you. Don’t stress about sequence or editing. That comes later. Once you know everything they should know, you can begin arranging it in a sequence, and editing. Think about pacing. If something very challenging has just been accomplished, make a point of following it with something easy.

Those are just some ideas that pop into my head. Really, the most important thing is to consider your student. How can you cater instruction to what they need and want? What obstacles unique to them can you help them overcome, and how?
    I hope this helps a little. I’d love to answer any questions about teaching you might have.