1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to take care of my top surgery scars?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just had top surgery a few weeks ago, and now that my incisions are closed I am wondering how I should care for my scars. Also I am a little concerned because on my left side the incision is puckering up a little. It is pink and isn’t bleeding or anything, it’s just raised. Is this normal?

My nurse told me how to take care of my nipples and keep bandaids over them for a few weeks. But she said nothing about incision care and I forgot to ask. Any advice is appreciated.

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The biggest thing I was told when I had leg surgery two years ago was to not have it submerged in water. I was told showering was fine but no baths or swimming until it healed. Plus, keep an eye on it for any problems that may occur and as always, if you have concerns check with your doctor. Also, try putting on scar gel. It's available over the counter at pharmacies, and it helps reduce the appearance of scars. You may have to wait until the wound has completely closed to use that, I'm not sure.

3. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's some guides online from other big name top surgeons if you want to search for those. They are generally pretty consistent. Keep your scars out of the sun since uv rays can permanently darken them. Scar gel/cream is a good idea, most surgeons recommend using it. Keeping the nipple grafts and incisions from getting too dry will help them heal. Eventually you will want to start massaging the scars which will help break down the scar tissue so they fade faster. This is the most effective method as far as I know. I'm not entirely sure when to start this though, maybe 1-3 months? Whenever the incisions have healed enough to handle that kind of treatment.

I'm not certain whether the puckering on your left side is normal or not. Swelling can still happen a few months post-op. Also, the way I remember it my incisions looked like they got a bit worse before they started looking better. It could be part of the healing process. If it remains that way or gets worse, you might want to send your surgeon a message.