1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to know when to call time?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by McLate, Jun 23, 2022.

1. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,
    I am struggling to know whether I should separate from my wife and worried about how hard it might be for her.
    I'm early 50's and we are together over 20 years with 2 teenagers.
    I finally admitted that I am attracted to men and likely am gay or at least somewhere that side of the Kinsey scale. I came out to my wife some time ago and its been really difficult for both of us. I have sought some support but she hasn't as yet.
    I feel we are now living in some kind of compromise arrangement where we ignore the issue but I feel unhappy.
    Any thoughts would be welcome.
    Mc

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife and I are in the process of separating/divorce but it has nothing to do with sexuality. She's bi as well. We are taking things very slowly as there are extenuating circumstances. We are working on how to cohabitate as roomates and moving forward with seperate lives.

3. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it's a big life change, so it makes sense to take it slow. I hope it will work out successfully for you both

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your wife, it is never easy. I think perhaps you need to just be open and honest with her that you are unhappy in the current situation. It is possible she also feels the same but either way long term it is unlikely to make either of you happy, however hard it might be to end it.

Out and In likes this.
  5. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks silverhalo. I think I agree but she is a wonderful person and I'm struggling to bring up the difficulty emotional conversations again. Maybe I just need to man up a bit and stop avoiding

Nealg likes this.
  6. gritstone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought I'd add that whatever life you choose there will always be a compromise. It's deciding which compromise you are prepared to accept that's the difficult bit.

Joolz66 likes this.
  7. Joolz66

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, im 55 and recently started accepting im gay but I havnt come out to my wife, I don't know if I ever will. It does seem though that many guys here who do come out to their wife are stuck in a limbo where after the initial coming out it never gets spoken about again and just hangs there forever. Other seem to move on, separate and divorce. Some make it work in a mixed orientation marriage but that seems rare. It must be a very difficult spot to be and I feel your pain.

McLate, Bastion and Nealg like this.
  8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely not about manning up. The fact you are finding it hard to have these conversations is testament to your personality and kindness. It is never easy. You will get there.

Bastion, Joolz66, Nealg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve also been struggling with this kind of situation. We have brought up and discussed the subject once or maybe twice. But the discussion never goes anywhere. We talked about the possibility that my orientation may not be straight after all. I mentioned I may be bisexual. That’s why i would like to see more LGBTQ people and hang out with them. Actually so this happened before the conversation. I went on ahead and met some people and befriended them. She was furious when she found out. We had some heated arguments. She told me she does not condone those kind of friendships. Even though that’s what they were. Then there was trouble with the group I was seeing. I stopped seeing them. Long story. Then pandemic came. Basically, the only option was divorce and separation and I had a hard time accepting that for the sake of my child. I still think about how to make it work without hurting my family in the process. I couldn’t reach a solution so I resigned to the fact that I am what I am. Maybe things will change in the future.

McLate likes this.
  10. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps it would help if you were to decide what you want for yourself (e.g., an open marriage might be an option, or getting divorced another option), and then tell her as a way to start talking about this new reality.

11. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    An open marriage wouldn't work for us. I think I know what I want (although I have reservations for various reasons) but I am reluctant to cause further pain and turmoil for my wife and so finding it difficult to start talking about ending the marriage.

12. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But until you decide what you want, there really can't be much productive discussion, IMO. It sounds like you think that talking about it with her will make your choice clear for you. But because she's afraid that you're going to leave her, she's not really interested in what you want and is instead focused on what she wants. And I totally understand your having reservations about leaving your wife, so I'm not advocating for any particular decision. I just think you need to do your own work to make a decision, with or without a neutral third party such as a counselor.

13. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not a lot of people can agree to and work with an open marriage situation. I don’t think it can work for us either. The dilemma is how can you come up with a solution that would cause the least pain and turmoil? Or that all parties would be ok with? But maybe after several discussions of this nature with or with out a counselor or therapist. One can suggest a trial separation of some sort. Maybe this would give both sides a chance to work things through or reach a decision. Am just thinking out loud here.

McLate likes this.
  14. Redmelon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, my ex and I divorced several years ago, I was struggling in my marriage, wanting to say something and then decided not to, he's homophobic and wouldn't have handled it well, (we divorced for other reasons). He still doesn't know I am bisexual, but my kids do. I am glad you were able to have that first difficult conversation with your wife, as you decide what you want to do, talking about it will become easier even if the pain remains for a while.

McLate likes this.
  15. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Compromise is not a bad thing. Ignoring the issue and not communicating is. I am in a similar situation, early 50's, married, one child, though he is 23 and living on his own. Still supported somewhat by the bank of Dad, but doing it.

I think our success is counseling, love, AND a willingness to have it work. With all of that, we have a much better relationship than we have had in years. There was a period where right after I came out to her, everything seemed alright as long as the elephant in the room was kept behind the curtain. Like you, that made me VERY unhappy. Hell, I just got out of the damn closet. Going back in because it was uncomfortable for my wife was not an option. We talked, cried, learned new ways of accepting each other, and have come out the other end with a new way of life and marriage for us. We still see the counselor, we still have problems, but they are not insurmountable and neither of us in "unhappy".

What works for us will not work for all. Some, there is no way in hell it would work. Each marriage, like personalities, is different, but I believe regardless of how similar, or dissimilar, they are the common thing that makes them successful are the three c's; communication, compromise, and compassion. FYI compromise does not mean giving up all that makes you happy for the benefit of the other party.

With us, I will say she has compromised more, and I love her for that. She has become an Ally, I can be open talking with her about my bisexuality, I can have a FWB (which is tricky in that it can't be hidden and if she doesn't like him it is a no go). This is acceptable, because I do not desire a romantic relationship with a man. I want a buddy that I can talk to about guy and gay things, that we can scratch that itch that can not be scratched by the opposite sex. It really is complicated and we are still learning together, but that is part of what makes it work. We are learning TOGETHER and supporting each other.

McLate and Bastion like this.