1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Know If Your Non-Binary?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ken867, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you know if you're non-binary? I know a few months ago I did experience extremely bad body dysphoria but lately, I've only really experienced a little social dysphoria. I know today I felt.. like a girl I guess? But I'm just really confused. Cause I don't feel that way all the time. I'm just really confused. Also, do non-binary people have to experience dysphoria and if so does it have to be all the time? Because mine seems to disappear for a long time then reappear.

2. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, Ken867.
    Non-binary feelings can definitely come and go. It's normal to feel isolated in a crowd or enthusiastic in a gender role, until confidence fades. The key is to explore how you are most comfortable with yourself. Try to deconstruct your social bias, challenge gender role expectations, and say, piss off! to fear of rejection, and just... be still. Look to role models. Who do you admire? This is probably someone you aspire to become on some level, OR are attracted to, in which case, what does that mean for you?

Gender identity is complicated single, and even more so with a partner. It's important to really find a good sense of who you are before you share yourself with another person. In a romantic relationship, it is natural to assume roles to some degree. That's part of what fosters trust and intimacy. You want to be in a role you are comfortable with. Also, sometimes people are attracted to someone that can sort of... represent them? in society. For the true non-binary or trans, the partner is an attractive extension of who we want to be, rather than an individual we want to be with, leaving you relying on them vicariously for your identity, which SUCKS.

Bottom line, find your happy place and don't shy away from it. Embrace who you are. If you still decide to conform to the comfort of some other role, it is better to do that accepting your true nature, than repressing it and hoping it will magically change over time.
    Hope that helps. ~Peace~

AlexJames and ken867 like this.