1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to know if HRT its right for you

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tardis221B, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Tardis221B

I'm starting to seriously consider that HRT is the next step for me with my transition, but I'm still not completely sure. I was wondering what are some good things to consider and questions to reflect on when making this decision?

#1 Tardis221B, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Just Jess

Great question.

So of course, you aren't going to be able to tell whether it'll alleviate dysphoria before you go on it. That is why doctors usually schedule a few more bloodwork meetings early on. They may even start you on a lower dose. They'll know early on whether this is a good decision, before they've had much of an impact.

Also please don't take it to heart if your doctor decides they aren't right for you. There are plenty of ways to be, and any port in a storm. You're a man here, period, no matter what you do. Unless you tell us otherwise.

But if they are right for you, I have found them to be life changing. Not having dysphoria almost all the time is just incredible. It took life off "hard mode" for me.

Some things to consider before you take them. First, you'll want to google around to understand the health risks. Largely you are trading one set of health risks for another but there are some that just affect transitioners on HRT. Testosterone is a lot harder on your heart than estrogen, so you'll need to make an effort to stay fit and keep your cholesterol down. You will also need to be mentally healthy. Being a male means that emotions like anger and frustration are a lot closer to the surface, and having the added power to make those emotions felt, which is a socially awkward situation every man learns to deal with. So if you are prone to violence, it would be good to find a way to deal with that sort of problem before you add HRT to the mix. I would recommend a martial art or a hobby like painting.

HRT will cause a lot of changes. I'm assuming since you're asking this question those changes are desirable. But just in case, you'll be stronger, you'll be more hairy - except on top of your head. Sex hormones affect just about every part of the body. You'll become physically male.

I think the hardest part of transition is the in between part. You'll still get dysphoria every now and then, and you'll have frustrating periods where you're trying to present yourself a certain way, and it just won't work, and there you'll be out and about with nowhere safe to catch your breath, feeling scared and attracting more attention than you'd probably like. There's nothing wrong with the middle for folks that are comfortable there of course. But if it isn't you it isn't you. So that's the last thing I'd recommend considering. You're going to have to have a bit of mental toughness and grit. I have to be Mattie Ross and you'd have to be Rooster Cogburn. This is a second place where something to focus on such as a martial art or painting, or whatever else really interests you, will help. I got back into video games pretty seriously around this point in my transition. It really helps to have friends here too. You'll need something that comes from you, that makes you feel good about yourself. Something that helps you recharge, so you can go out and deal with it all again tomorrow instead of keeping the covers over your head 'till your third alarm goes off.

I hope a lot of that helps :slight_smile: Best of luck to you no matter your decision.

#2 Just Jess, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016