1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Ignore People Who Gossip About Others and Just Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 18breanna, Apr 30, 2017.

1. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, new member here who needs some advice :tears:

I go to a small co-ed school; the kids are actually pretty nice/mature, but it seems 60% of their conversations are gossip about other people. This is my first year so most people don't really know much about me, but I've heard lots of people gossip about other people's business, including who's gay.

The school is actually pretty liberal, one of the most popular kids in my graduating class is openly gay, but I always chicken out whenever there's an opportunity to disclose that I like girls (even when talking to the gay student [although I have told one very loyal person!])

Should even attempt to overcome the gossip that would inevitably come if I told anyone or just have ~no comment~ when the topic arises...even though I feel horrible when changing subject whenever someone presses me for answers

Thank you if you read all of this !!! LOL (*hug*)

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Breanna,

First, it sounds like your environment is (yay!) better than those of other posts here on EC. So to our or not to out is the question. Here's a plus: other non-straight girls will know you're available. The minuses? We know those. The next question: how to do it? Without making it seem like some sort of announcement. What do you think? Have there been many opportunities so far to disclose?

3. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There have been lots of oppurtunities to disclose it but it will either
    a) seem like an announcement (which i certainly dont want) or b) spread around like gossip, which is embarrasing :/

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes either of those seems awkward. But you know, it's only embarrassing if you let it be. If you're proud, it shouldn't matter what they say. But I understand that it does. How long can you go bottled-up? It could be simpler to just wait until the next stage of school (i.e. college or uni). Maybe just a friend at first -- who you ask not to tell. Then slowly by stages. Of course this is just sort of a slow-leak version of the gossip option.

5. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's true! I've actually been considering that lately (disclosing it freely instead of being shy about it). I just need the courage to do it :tears:
    Coming out when I enter college is a given b/c of dating, etc. so that's happening no matter what.

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK so it is (at least partly) just a matter of timing. I'm glad you anticipate a reasonable (low-drama) college experience. But for now... maybe one person at a time. People who you can trust to be 1) understanding and 2) discreet. I.e. they won't out you without your permission. Then there's always Plan C: have a girlfriend and openly date. Oh yeah, that's easier said than done!

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agree! Dating most likely won't start until uni

8. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's better to just come out on your own pace and to people you trust. It's hard to ignore people that gossip but I believe that you can do it! Ignore what they say if you come out the way you said previously as it shouldn't matter what they say as love is love >:3

#8 MaoKingofcats, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww thanks :^)

10. CatsAreCool

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! I was in your position last year, I had only told a few close friends and two of my siblings, but this school year I decided to start fresh and just be super obvious about the fact that I was gay. By which I mean I got myself some gay shirts, a pride flag, and whenever people were having conversations about people they were interested in dating, I would join in and tell them mine, making sure to drop those female pronouns, "Well, there's this girl...". My freshman year, I was afraid of the rumor mill and what people might say about me, but this year I used it to my advantage. I only had to tell so many people before it got around. Like beenthrdonetht said, everyone knowing also means all the gay girls at your school know that you're gay too.

My advice to you, if you're ready, and don't want it to seem like some grand announcement, just try and casually slip it into conversations here and there. Sometimes I like to come out to people when I can make it into a funny joke to ease any tension. One time I was sitting at a lunch table with some acquaintances and someone was trying very hard to put a cap on a water bottle but it kept ending up slightly eschew. They exclaimed, "It just won't go straight!", and I said, "Me either". I thought it was hilarious and one friend got it right away but a couple others needed a sec to catch up. When the realization hit their face they cracked up too.

Then again, if you don't feel comfortable with this then there's no rush, go at your own pace and do what feels right!

11. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This answer was super helpful. These are good ideas and I'm really inspired by how comfortable you are with your sexuality

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The good thing about gossip is it's temporary. It's also often about the unconfirmed sometimes if you can just be matter of fact about things and be relaxed about anything people do say people are usually less interested and move on to the next thing.