1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get parents o accept sexuality as not a choice??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AQuietStorm, Feb 23, 2012.

1. AQuietStorm

AQuietStorm Guest

About a year ago i came out to my parents and they said they no matter what they still loved me

But today i easedroped on my mom telling my younger brother(age18) that if he prays his feelings for men will go away and that this country is trying to make it acceptable to be gay((shes from a trinidad)) she said just because he has feelings for men doesent mean he should act on them and compared gay sex to haveing sex with the family dog in heat. i could go on and on

i suspect she doesent talk this way to me because she knows she cant control me and also cant use religon to guilt trip me since im an atheist

How can i push progress in my family and get my parents to realize that our sexuality isent a choice and that its never going to change??

2. gaYMich6el

My mom didn’t like it because she thought there was a choice, that I was choosing to rebel in the worst way by not being with girls
    I told her I felt being with girls (sexually) was horrible, that it actually upsets me. That helped her understand.
    We also talked about how all people have natural passion, particularly men. All my friends are passionate for girls. But for reasons I don’t understand Im not really that way, and never was in my lifetime. From then on we have a bit more of an understanding about it.
    We haven’t reconciled it completely with our religion but its an understanding based on compassion

3. Merlot

You cant. It is what it is. The best way is to show them that your sexual preference is only a small part of your awesomeness. I have no idea how you can accomplish that but good luck.

4. AQuietStorm

AQuietStorm Guest

You cant. It is what it is. The best way is to show them that your sexual preference is only a small part of your awesomeness. I have no idea how you can accomplish that but good luck.[/QUOTE]

damn you left me on a cliffhanger

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Pretty much what Merlot said. I'm sorry to say, the only thing you can really do at this point is snap a Pride bracelet around your brother's wrist or hand it to him, as a quiet show of support, not say one word in comment on it, and let your mother believe whatever she wants to.

Your parents were being truthful. They still love you, and they would still love your younger brother if he told them he wasn't intent on compromising his sexuality. However, that doesn't change who your parents are or what they believe in. Think of it this way: they accept you in spite of something about you they clearly don't like. Don't they deserve the same in return? For you to love them in spite of having dumb ideas about homosexuality?

I was prepared to make some angry suggestions, but I realize that it's not really useful to say or do angry things. Demonstrate through living, concrete example that being gay is a GOOD part of your character, not just something they overlook.

#5 Christiaan, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Beachboi92

id say it is also important to have a discussion with your younger brother. Help him realize there is nothing wrong and no choice involved.