1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get back into dancing?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FuelsMySong, Feb 15, 2018.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all,

I started dance classes pretty late compared to most people, at 12 years old. It was a free program that my school offered. I dabbled in different types of dancing, mostly contemporary and modern but also a little bit of hip hop and ballet. When I turned 17, I stopped dancing because I graduated from the school that had the free program.

I did get back into dancing for a couple of months when I was 20 for a church Christmas presentation. Although I wasn't taking any dance classes around this time, I was actively choreographing and practicing for the presentation and also got the chance to perform on stage again.

Lately, I've been wanting to get back into dancing (I am 22 ). I tried taking a modern dance class at one of the local dance centres in my area but did not really enjoy it.

I'm wondering whether I can try out different genres, maybe even ballroom even though I have no experience with that genre, or perhaps pole dancing but my arm strength is basically non-existent. However, the only thing is that I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm in much worse shape than I was the last time I danced mostly due to medication side effects. So doing improv dance at home which I used to do is now more challenging than ever before so it takes away my motivation. I would much rather take a class, provided as it is not too expensive or maybe even, if possible, free.

I live around the Vancouver, Canada area.

Any dancers (or non-dancers) have any tips?

2. Really

Hey @FuelsMySong !

I just did a quick search on meetup.com using Dancing as the search word and there seem to be quite a few. I saw one with weekly lessons with a $12 drop-in fee so not terrible but there may be others, too, but I didn’t look into each of them. Maybe have a look through that and see if anything appeals.