1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to finally seek help from a therapist.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Robishere, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mental health has always been a constant issue that I've kept (mostly) to myself my entire life. I've opened up about it with some friends but I've just gotten the same old awkward/not knowing what to say kind of responses so I've given up in opening up to them about my personal turmoil so as not to burden them with it.

Recently I've stumbled upon the page of an LGBTQIA+ Center in a nearby city that offers all kinds of services such as psychotherapy, psychosocial assistance, group therapy and other activities which are reportedly free of cost. I gave them a call but broke out in tears the instant they answered and hung up before I could get a word out. I'm willing to try again tomorrow when they open up but the other option is walking into the center and getting assistance on the spot but then again... my anxiety doesn't make that much easier than the phone call.

I'm in desperate need of help but I am so absolutely terrified of actually receiving it so I stop myself from getting it. The uncertainty of what may unfold if I do take the step and get help prevents me from getting it at all and I do not know what to do. At this point I'm just looking for advice. Any kind of advice that could help me help myself.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well if you you have so much anxiety that you panic at the idea of getting help. I would honestly suggest you start by looking for a therapist that is somewhat specialized in anxiety.

When I went to get help I focused on what my biggest problem was and mine was anger management, so I looked for someone who listed that as one of their specialties. After I found the main issue I looked at secondary like depression and LGBQ stuff, which lead me to contact a counselor who handled all of those things and helped with all of them.

Here is the thing about mental health, its as important as your physical health. Also there isn't a magic cure all, so it will take some time to figure out what you need to help you get better.

Silveroot and Robishere like this.
  3. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.

I finally called the LGBTQ+ Center today and made an appointment for Thursday afternoon. I asked them how their services worked and they signed me up to fill up all the paperwork and really figure out what services I might need. Once I gave the secretary a chance to start talking, her voice really calmed me down and made it feel like everything I was asking was okay. Feeling nervous but at the same time looking forward to the meeting even though I have little to no idea of what to expect.

Maybe once I learn more about myself and what's going on inside my head I'll look into an anxiety-specialized therapist. For now, it sounds like my best bet is on this LGBTQ+ center and using them as a stepping stone before going to an actual psychologist or psychiatrist.

#3 Robishere, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    LaneyM and Shorthaul like this.
  4. Chaosbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been a psychiatrist since 2012 and I have done therapy on and off since then. It can be nerve wrecking and a little uneasy, I'd like to say it gets better with time but personally I was always anxious whenever I met with a therapist (I hate to talk about myself and I have a very avoidance personality, which is not a very good coping skill at all). A good therapist will go as fast or as slow are you want to go because it is your session and you are usually the one that lead the sessions. You can always feel free to not answer questions about a topic if you don't feel like working on that particular topic at that time. Though you should always go back to it because the harder it is to talk about it is probably a topic that needs to be touched upon.

Obviously my experience won't be the same as yours since we originally worked on ADHD coping skills before moving on to managing and living with bipolar I. When needed, we did touch on marriage stuff where I would bring in the wife and she would help us through stuff (she was totally cool with LGBT people/couples because that was one of the first things I asked before we started seeing each other). Remember, they're there for you and as long as you put in the effort they are fine to help you work on anything. If you have questions, hit me up and I can tell you more about my experience if you want.

Robishere likes this.
  5. cmplctd

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally get the feelings you're going through. I started going to therapy and was eventually diagnosed with anxiety, but my anxiety was preventing me from seeing a psychiatrist to get the medication to treat the anxiety. It took a major depressive episode before I went, which was only a few months ago, and now I don't regret it. My depressive episodes are basically gone, and I'm finally feeling a bit optimistic.

And I guess my anxiety is finally subsiding, because I've joined this forum! My medication dosage has recently been increased, so looking forward to feeling even more free from these mental anchors.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's a cliché thing to say, but recognizing there's a problem is the first, and most important, step towards a better you!

I hope that you will be able to talk openly about all problems you're experiencing, even if it starts with the (according to you) least significant thing. Remember, they're there to listen to you and guide you through this stage of self-discovery. You will notice that just by getting to talk to someone who can actually help you with coping skills if nothing else, is a very freeing experience and you can slowly build up to talking more freely about what you're struggling with, and slowly build up to the most significant and most crippling issue(s). You've come this far, and I commend you for that! You got this :slight_smile: Please let us know how the session went. We're all rooting for you :slight_smile:

Robishere likes this.
  7. smurf

Go you for making the call! That is a huge step so hell yes!

Yes, just keep it simple. Let them carry you through a bit and don't overthink it too much (I know I know)

Your LGBT center sounds amazing. I hope that this helps you out and gives you tools so you can keep living your best live. Many of us have gone years through therapy so if at any point you have questions about if something is normal or if this is how its supposed to feel like feel free to ask!

8. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement. The first session is tomorrow and I although I feel fine right now I know that as the time approaches my anxiety will begin to soar but luckily I can just re-open this thread to remind myself that going to this center and getting the help I need is an act of bravery, not weakness. Really, thank you.

9. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it's been a few days since my first visit to the LGBT center and it went great! It was basically empty except for the staff which made me feel a lot more comfortable. At first they sat me down with their social worker just to get to know me and fill up some paper work. She started asking me questions about my life as a means of listing reasons why I think I need help... As I started talking about why I felt I needed help she immediately sent me to the psychologist who was available, fortunately. Sat down with him and had a brief review of what I talked about with the social worker and then we got straight to it. We mainly focused on the issues I have with my family and I never really got the chance to talk about my anxiety and depression though. For next week he asked me to bring in a letter written for my family which I will read to an empty chair. When I first left I was excited to come in for my 2nd session but the more I think about the homework he gave me, the more nervous I get.

Side note: As I kept talking more and more about myself and my family dynamic at home, I noticed the psychologist would sometimes give me looks of pity. Which I guess is just him being sympathetic but it kind of made me uncomfortable.

Side note 2.0: Think it's relatively important to mention that I'm doing this therapy completely behind the back of everybody in my life (except you guys lol). Not sure how long I'll be able to come up with excuses to go to these sessions but for now they seem like the only option.

As for what I thought of the staff in general, they were all great! Very understanding and comforting. Really did a great job of introducing themselves and making the whole process seem like something completely normal (which I guess I now know that it is!). These people will definitely help me in ways I can't even imagine, just have to be willing to go through their process.

10. smurf

Yay! So happy to hear you had a good experience. Phew, breath and celebrate it. Take a moment to enjoy this small victory of yours. You went from being super anxious about seeking help to now enjoying the start of the process. THAT IS HUGE. You did it and you should celebrate it in your own way. Buy yourself a small thing of ice cream or get oreos. Whatever means something to you go do it as well deserved pat in the back :slight_smile:

I'm serious. Don't let your anxiety win with "its not that big of a deal...someone else would have been able to do this no problem" bullshit stop you from celebrating yourself. You conquered your fears and that matters.

This is the thing about anxiety that is exhausting. As soon as we conquer one of the fears, our minds are REALLY good at coming up with the next 5 problems we see coming. It gets better with practice.

Side note 1: Talk to your therapist. Tell them that its bothers you to feel like he pities you. They will 1) explain to you that they didn't feel that way and apologize 2) if they do feel that way, they will check themselves and apologize.

Either way, talk to them about it. Its important you ask for what you need. Its the only way that they will be able to truly help you.

Side note 2: Might be a problem, but it might not depending on your dynamics. The best thing to do is just give them a reason. It can be studying, tutoring someone, a meeting for a hobby you like, volunteering somewhere etc. Most people just need a reason to calm their worries and hopefully they don't ask too many questions about it.

Now the challenge is to just let them help you :slight_smile:

Happy to hear. Keep it up and good luck with your home assignment